Items: 0 Price: £0    
view cart

Antique Pistols and Revolvers

 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  Next Page 1 of 16

Georgian Era British WD Enfield Tower New Land Pattern .650 Carbine Calibre Flintlock Pistol With Brass Mounts & Captive Steel Ram Rod. Sn 17808 - 17808
This is a very good, original Georgian era New Land Pattern Enfield Tower flintlock pistol. It has all original wood work with brass fittings, including trigger guard with extended tang, fore end block & cudgel butt. It has a heavy military hammer & captive steel ram rod. It measures 15 ½” overall with a 9” round steel barrel. The smooth bore has staining & residue consistent with age & use. The barrel has crisp proofs. The action works as it should. There is typical gunpowder residue pitting around the frizzen. The lock plate is signed with the Enfield ‘Tower’ mark & has an inspection mark together with Georgian Crown & Royal Cypher ‘GR’ (George Rex). The price includes UK delivery. NB As an antique flintlock pistol no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as a part of a collection or display. Sn 17808
£1,200.00

Cased C1850 Large Frame, English R.B Rodda & Co London & Calcutta Percussion 4 Barrel 32 Bore Pistol With Rotating Barrel Cluster & Accessories. Sn 17791 - 17791
R.B. Rodda claimed to have been established in 1830 although in reality it traces its roots much further back than that, to around 1805, originally trading as Brown and Cooper. This was the company that Richard Burrows Rodda joined in 1830, and although the history is a bit sketchy the company name probably became Brown, Cooper and Rodda at that time. In 1846 Brown left the company and it became Cooper and Rodda, and the following year in 1847 Cooper also departed leaving R.B. Rodda as the sole proprietor. Rodda renamed the company R.B. Rodda & Co. based at 36, Piccadilly, London. About three years after this R.B. Rodda & Co. opened another shop, this time in the Indian city of Calcutta at 5 1/2 Tank Square, a place that would be renamed Dalhousie Square in 1872, with the result that the address of the company would become 7 & 8 Dalhousie Square. Prior to that however, around the time of the Indian Mutiny in 1857 Richard Burrows Rodda left India and migrated to the United States with most of his extended family. Sadly Rodda passed away that year and so the company was taken over by William Henry Taylor, who was the brother of Rodda’s brother in law. R.B. Rodda & Company became primarily exporters/importers of guns and rifles based out of their Calcutta premises throughout the period up until Indian Independence in 1947, at which point the business was sold to Indian industrialists who diversified it away from the gun trade and into marine and other engineering work. During the period in which they were trading R.B. Rodda & Co. became well respected for the quality of the guns and rifles they sold, and their guns came to be used not only in India but throughout the European colonies such as the Dutch East Indies (Indonesia), Malaya (Malaysia), and French Indo China (Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia), and Burma (Myanmar). The R.B. Rodda guns and rifles were made by the Birmingham gun trade, often by W&C Scott of Birmingham and London. This is a very good Victorian percussion large frame pistol with revolving 4 barrel cluster By R.B Rodda. Its smooth bore barrels are 4 ¾” in length and the pistol measures 10 ¾” overall length. Its steel frame is undamaged with nice even patina throughout. It has foliate engraved decoration to the metal work. The top barrel rib is signed ‘R.B Rodda & Co London & Calcutta’. The barrels are stamped with English black powder proof marks. The pistol's bag shaped walnut grip has fine chequering and is undamaged. The back of the wrist has a white metal escutcheon. The pistol has double hammers and triggers & cocks and dry fires perfectly as does the revolving barrel action. The pistol is contained in its original wood case with hinged lid. The top of the lid is inlaid with a void central brass shield. The case has a brass lock (key absent). The case is lined with green felt and has a nice R.B Rodda & Co London trade label. The case has compartments which contain accessories including an empty ‘Joyce & Co London’ labelled percussion cap tin, a small glass bottle in leather 2 piece case, a copper and brass black powder flask, a steel ball mould & a tool with ebony handle. The price for this desirable pistol includes UK delivery. NB as an antique percussion pistol no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 17791
£1,895.00

QUALITY MAKER, C1810 English Henry Nock London 18 Bore Nipple & Drum Percussion Converted From Flintlock Pistol With Octagonal Barrel. A 1057 - A 1057
Henry Nock was a British inventor and engineer of the Napoleonic period, best known as a gunsmith. As well as supplying the military and civilian markets, Nock made expensive pieces for the aristocracy and Royalty. Nock's business eventually became Wilkinson Sword. This is a Nock London Percussion Overcoat Pistol, made C1810 and later nipple & drum converted to percussion. It is 11 ½” overall length with a 6” octagonal barrel which has a small German silver blade fore sight and ‘v’ notch plate rear sight. The top barrel flat is signed ‘London’ and the barrel has crisp proofs. The smooth bore is clean. The action tang & trigger guard with Pineapple finial have quality tooled decoration. The full stock is made from rich English Walnut with chequered panels for grip. The stock has an inlaid void silver shield escutcheon. It has its original ebonised wood ram rod with brass end cap rim and brass cap which screws off to reveal a steel worm. The action has a safety bolt and the plain steel action plate is signed by the maker ‘H. Nock’. The price includes UK delivery. NB. As an antique percussion pistol no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as a part of a collection or display. A 1057
£745.00

**RARE**C1850's Victorian English Unwin & Rodgers Sheffield Patent 'NON*XLL .25 Rim Fire Obsolete Calibre Combination Knife Pistol With Polished Horn Scales. Sn 17790 - 17790
This is a very good, rare to find, original Unwin & Rodgers .25 RF calibre combination knife pistol. The pistol dates to around the mid 1850s when the Sheffield company was granted a patent for rim fire cartridge guns. Overall the pistol when closed is 6 ½” length. The barrel, frame, bolsters and integral cartridge box with hinged lid on the rear of the frame are brass. The 3 ½” barrel has a small bead foresight and the rear sight consists of a ‘v’ notch plate at the breech. The smooth bore has staining & residue consistent with age and use. One barrel flat is crisply marked with two English proof marks. It is also engraved ‘NON*XLL’ and ‘Unwin & Rodgers Patentees Sheffield’. It has a steel hammer and folding trigger. Its cocking & firing actions are nice & strong. There are two folding knife blades, one single edged blade measures 3 ¾” length and is etched on one side with manufacturer detail. The other blade is single edged with drop point and measures 2 ¼” length and has manufacturer detail (all illustrated). It has excellent undamaged polished horn grips and a hinged box to the rear of the action. The price includes UK delivery. NB As an antique obsolete calibre weapon, no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 17790
£945.00

**MINT BORE**C1860 Victorian English Era Richard Henry Bate & Son Webley Wedge Frame (Webley Bentley) Double Action .54 Bore Percussion 5 Shot Revolver. Sn 17812 - 17812
Richard Henry Bate established his business in 1850 at 97 Steelhouse Lane, but he was not recorded in the street directories until 1853. In 1855 Bate moved to 132 Steelhouse Lane and took additional premises at 88 Weaman Street. In 1861 the Weaman Street premises were given up in favour of 4 Aston Road which suggests the firm bought or established a barrel making business there. An 1862 advertisement stated: "R H Bate, 132 Steelhouse Lane, Birmingham. Military Rifle, Gun and Pistol Manufacturer. Double Action Revolving Pistols of every description. Gun Barrel and Rifle Barrel Maker. N.B. Old guns re-stocked and altered into Percussion on most approved principle. Barrels re-bored." In 1868 the firm was recorded only at 132 Steelhouse Lane. R H Bate appears to retired or died between 1878 and 1881 and his son, George Bate took over the firm re-naming it after himself by 1890. In 1898 George probably gave up the Aston Road premises because he acquired other premises at 2 Easy Row; it is likely the Easy Row premises were vacated soon after 1900. This is an original example of the English Webley Wedge Frame double-action percussion revolver, as produced in the late-1850’s through about the mid-1860’s By Bate & Son. These guns use a 2-piece frame and barrel design, similar to that of Colt revolvers, with the two parts held together via a “wedge”. Adams and Tranter revolvers utilized one-piece frame/barrel assemblies that were forged from a single piece of iron. The “wedge” frame design is attributed to Birmingham gun maker Philip Webley, although Webley himself seemed to have manufactured very few of the guns. The simplified double-action lock mechanism typically encountered in these revolvers is usually of the Joseph Bentley design, and these guns are often referred to as Webley-Bentley revolvers, even though they were produced by many Birmingham gun makers and are often unmarked. This Webley wedge frame is very well made and has a single & double-action mechanism. The gun is typical of larger bore English double-action revolvers in that it features a 5 shot cylinder. The revolver has a5” long octagonal barrel near mint bore, clean and bright with crisp rifling and is chambered in the popular 54-bore calibre. The barrel and cylinder have small proof marks. The pistols metal has even patina throughout and its chequered Walnut grips are undamaged. It has a captive loading lever, a small post fore sight and notch block frame rear sight. The gun bears manufacturer marking on the top strap ‘R.H. Bate & Son’. The firing mechanism functions as it should in both single & double action. The price includes UK delivery. NB As an antique percussion revolver no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 17812
£975.00

**MINT BORE**AMERICAN CIVIL WAR U.S. ARMY IMPORT SERIAL NUMBER RANGE** Large Frame, French Lefaucheux Patent Model 1854 12mm Pin Fire Obsolete Calibre Single Action Military Revolver. Sn 17811 - 17811
In 1854, Frenchman Eugene Lefaucheux introduced the Lefaucheux Patent revolver notable as being the first revolver to use self-contained metallic cartridges rather than loose powder, pistol ball, and percussion caps. Their initial Model 1854 French military revolvers and subsequent models were chambered for the 12 mm pinfire cartridge, based on a design by Casimir Lefaucheux (his father, also a gun designer). In many ways the large bore marital pinfire revolver, based upon the patents of Casimir and Eugene Lefaucheux was one of the most modern and advanced handguns to see use on the battlefield during the American Civil War. Thousands of these pinfire revolvers were imported for use by U.S troops, and at least a few hundred saw service with Confederate troops as well. Although US government purchases only record about 13,000 M-1854 Lefaucheux patent pin-fire revolvers as being officially purchased (along with over 2.2 million cartridges), surviving examples and regimental records indicate that far more than that were imported. The Springfield Research Service serial number books list the serial numbers for 69 Lefaucheux revolvers that were in the possession of Company B of the 9th Missouri State Militia Cavalry during 1863. These 69 revolvers range from serial number 33,895 through 42,522. This 9,000+ range of serial numbers within a single company of US cavalry makes it relatively easy to extrapolate that Lefaucheux revolvers within the 25,XXX through at least the 45,XXX range are within the realistic realm of Civil War used revolvers. Our example is serial number 40893 putting it in the serial number range for imported U.S Army Lefaucheux revolvers. The left side of the frame is marked with the usual two line oval Lefaucheux patent cartouche, which reads INVON E. LEFAUCHEUX / BREVETÉ SGDG (PARIS). The revolver is additionally marked with the standard smoking pistol / LF Lefaucheux trademark as a prefix to the serial number 40893. The pistol is 12 ½” overall with a 6 ¼” 2 stage steel barrel. The bore is near mint clean & bright with crisp rifling. The pistol’s metalwork is clean and undamaged as is its walnut grip with stepped steel butt cap & military lanyard ring. It is side gate loading & is correctly single action only. The cocking and firing action is nice and tight. The pistol has its original captive ejector rod, triangular plate with ball top fore sight and notched hammer rear sight. This would be a fantastic addition to any advanced collection of American Civil War arms. The price includes UK delivery. NB As an obsolete calibre pin fire weapon, no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as a part of a collection or display. Sn 17811
£995.00

SOLD SOLD (16/09) C1840 English Twigg London 86 Bore Percussion Muff Pistol With Turn Off Barrel, Black Powder Proofs, Safety Bolt & Concealed Folding Trigger Contained In A Concealable 'Bible' Book Case. A 1056 - A 1056
John Fox Twigg was born at Grantham, Linconshire, in 1732 and is listed by Heer (1978) as being apprenticed to the Irish gunmaker, Edward Newton (active 1718-1764), though no dates for the apprenticeship are offered. By 1755, Blackmore (1986) lists Twigg working as a gunmaker from Angel Ct., Charing Cross until 1760 when he moved to 132 Strand, opposite Catherine St., and continued at this address until 1776. He moved again in 1776, this time to Piccadilly where he remained until 1790. During these 14 years he opened several warehouses; at little Somerset Street in 1771; 30 Cornhill, 1777 and Tower Hill in 1779. His only son, John, was apprenticed in 1786 to Henry Nock, and subsequently inherited his father's business. This is a very good percussion muff pistol by Twigg. The frame is signed by the maker ‘Twigg’ on one side within Martial banners and arms. The reverse ‘London’ within Martial banners & arms. The small pistol measures 4 ¾” overall & has a 1 ½” screw off barrel. The barrel’s smooth bore has staining & residue consistent with age & use (a tool is required to remove the barrel, we do not have the tool). The pistol has black powder proofs on the underside of the action and barrel & is marked ‘86’ (bore). The pistol has a safety bolt. It has an undamaged bag shape walnut stock. The pistol’s action is strong. It is contained in a period hand crafted case purposely made from a book for concealment in a library/ book case. The books original pages have been glued together and a compartment to house the pistol 'cut out' to give the appearance of individual pages when closed. The spine of the 'book' has gold coloured lettering 'Holy Bible Reference Notes'. The book has brass edges & opens to reveal a green felt lined compartment to hold the pistol. The book has a clasp fastener. The price includes UK delivery. NB No licence is required to own this antique percussion pistol in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. A 1056
£0.00

American War Of 1812 & Napoleonic Wars Era, George III British Officer’s Enfield Tower .650 Carbine Calibre Flintlock Holster Pistol Regiment Marked ‘N41’ To The British Naval Squadron Crew 41st (Welch) Regiment of Foot. Sn 17807 - 17807
The 41st (Welch) Regiment of Foot was an infantry regiment of the British Army, raised in 1719. Under the Childers Reforms it amalgamated with the 69th (South Lincolnshire) Regiment of Foot to form the Welch Regiment in 1881. On 23 January 1788, Arthur Wellesley, the future Duke of Wellington, joined the regiment as a young Lieutenant. The Regiment embarked for the West Indies in 1793 for service in the French Revolutionary Wars; it took part in the capture of Martinique in March 1794 and the attack on Guadeloupe in April 1794 before returning to England in October 1796. It was posted to Canada in 1800 and saw service there during the War of 1812. It fought under Major General Isaac Brock at the Siege of Detroit in August 1812 and the Battle of Queenston Heights in October 1812. Following Brock's death, it fought under Major-General Henry Procter at the Battle of Frenchtown in January 1813 and formed the bulk of the attacking force at the Siege of Fort Meigs in April 1813. It then formed part of the crew of the British Naval Squadron which was defeated at the Battle of Lake Erie in September 1813 and faced defeat again at the Battle of the Thames in October 1813. It also took part in the successful Capture of Fort Niagara in December 1813. The Regiment was posted to India in July 1822 and was deployed to Rangoon for service in the First Anglo-Burmese War in May 1824. It formed part of an army which advanced up the River Irrawaddy to the Kingdom of Ava and then captured Bagan in February 1826. This is an original George III [1760 - 1820] Tower Lock Flintlock Holster pistol Regiment marked ‘N41’ to the British Naval Squadron Crew of the 41st (Welch) Regiment of Foot. It is 15 ½” overall length, with a nicely stamped Enfield ‘Tower’ marked lock plate. The lock plate is also marked with the King’s Crown and ‘GR’ (George Rex) and inspection mark. It has brass furniture including brass cudgel butt cap and trigger guard with extended tang. The trigger guard is Regiment marked ‘N41’ to the British Naval Squadron Crew 41st (Welch) Regiment of Foot. It has its wood ram rod with brass end cap and undamaged walnut full stock. The smooth bore of the 9” round steel barrel has just light staining consistent with age and use. The top of the barrel has a partially visible black powder proof mark. The lock’s cocking and firing actions work as they should. The price includes UK delivery. NB. As an antique flintlock pistol no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as a part of a collection or display. Sn 17807
£1,675.00

London Colt Navy **1855 CRIMEA WAR ERA**ALL MATCHING NUMBERS** British Colt London Navy Model 1851.36 Calibre Cap & Ball Revolver. Sn 17805 - 17805
The Colt Model 1851 Navy was a muzzle-loading, single action, cap & ball .36 calibre revolver used during the American Civil War. It was used as a side arm by Cavalry, Infantry, Artillery troops, and Naval forces. The weapons were also favoured by British Officer’s during the Crimean War due to their innovative design and ease of loading. During the Crimea War, The British Government ordered 9,000 Colt revolvers. This Model 1851 Navy revolver is in superb original condition. The pistol has a 7 ½” octagonal steel barrel and measures 13 ½” overall. The weapon has a brass post foresight and 'notched hammer' rear sight. It has a captive 'lever' ramrod. The barrel is crisply stamped with manufacturer detail 'Address Col. Colt London'. The steel frame and cylinder have British Victorian ‘Crown V’ and ‘Crown P’ proof marks and the frame is stamped 'Colt's Patent'. It has all matching serial numbers '32681' on the barrel block, frame, trigger guard, butt strap & cylinder which dates its manufacturer to 1855 during the Crimea war (1853-1856). It has an undamaged Walnut grip and the pistol's firing action works correctly. The price for this rare historic British Crimea War era revolver includes UK delivery. NB As an obsolete calibre percussion revolver no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 17805
£2,400.00

SOLD SOLD (10/09) **QUALITY**EARLY**, C1725 French Gentleman’s Double Barrelled 50 Bore Flintlock Traveling Pistol With Inlaid Silver Wire Decoration. Sn 17384 - 17384
This is an early flintlock double barrel traveling pistol in French form made C1725. Its side by side steel barrels are 4 ¼” in length and have a central barrel rib. The barrels are decorated with foliate designs and it has a grooved frame rear sight. The pistol measures 8 ½” overall length. The smooth bores have staining and residue consistent with age & use. The pistol has its ebonised wood ram rod with brass end cap. Its original Walnut full stock with cudgel butt has just bumps and bruises to be expected and is inlaid with silver wire decoration. It has double triggers and Swan neck hammers. The lock plates are plain. There are no external manufacturer or date marks on the pistol. The pistol cocks and dry fires. The price includes UK delivery. NB as an antique flintlock pistol no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 17384
£0.00
 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  Next Page 1 of 16