Items: 0 Price: £0    
view cart

Antique Guns and Equipment

Previous 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  Next Page 21 of 33

C1840 RARE UNUSUAL TRANSITIONAL / EXPERIMENTAL German Form 7mm Calibre Percussion Rook / Small Game Hunting Rifle With Octagonal Barrel, Double Set Hair Trigger Configuration, ‘Waterproof’ Screw Off Internal Nipple Block, Original Figured Walnut Stock. - 15241
This is a rare unusual German form Rook / Small game rifle made C1840 when the race was on to find innovative & efficient percussion actions for firearms. We have been unable to find any other examples of this form of rifle, nor identify the maker. This rifle has an ingenious percussion action & is no doubt an experimental / transitional piece. The action has a screw off nipple block with winged flange on the underside of the action. The block is unscrewed and a percussion cap placed on the nipple at the top of the block. The block is then screwed back into the underside of the action. The nipple and percussion cap remain within the action sitting under a plate / firing pin on top of the breech which is struck by the hammer when firing. The firing pin plate strikes the percussion cap seated within the action, ignites the cap and discharges the weapon. This system reduces the risk of water ingress into firing mechanism making it ideal, in the period, for hunting in the field (the barrel is loaded with black powder shot and wadding in the normal way from the muzzle end). The rifle has double triggers which can be set for hair trigger shooting. The 22 ½” octagonal steel barrel has a clean rifled bore with crisp well defined rifling. The rifle is 39 ½” overall length). The right barrel flat has indistinct small letters which appear to be ‘L*K’ and number ‘95’ (unknown). The top of the barrel has a small blade fore sight and block with notch rear sight. The action, hammer, trigger guard with scrolled tang & steel butt plate tang have crisp tooled foliate decoration. The all original walnut shoulder stock has a figured cheek piece, chequered panel wrist and chequered sliding patch box held in place by a small sliding metal pin catch with metal plate at the butt plate edge. The patch box contains a steel worm which screws onto the end of the weapon’s steel ram rod which slides into ram rod mounts under the barrel. The underside of the shoulder stock has a steel rosette which sits proud of the stock and may have been intended as a sling anchor. All wood and metal is original and undamaged with even patina. The loading and firing actions of this piece work perfectly. The price for this rare, unusual rifle worthy of further research includes UK delivery. The price includes UK delivery. NB as an antique black powder percussion rifle no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 15241
£1,495.00

EXTREMELY RARE, IMPRESSIVE, ORIGINAL, NAPOLEONIC BRITISH PENINSULAR WAR ERA, 1 ½ Pounder Cannon On English Heritage Supervised Professionally Restored Peninsular War Portuguese Allies Wheeled Oak Field Carriage With All Original Period Iron Fittings. - 15398
The Peninsular War (1807–1814) was a military conflict between Napoleon's Empire (as well as the allied powers of the Spanish Empire), the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland and the Kingdom of Portugal, for control of the Iberian Peninsula during the Napoleonic Wars. The war began when the French and Spanish armies invaded and occupied Portugal in 1807, and escalated in 1808 when France turned on Spain, previously its ally. The war on the Peninsula lasted until the Sixth Coalition defeated Napoleon and is regarded as one of the first wars of National liberation. During the Peninsular war Britain supplied its ally Portugal with arms including artillery pieces to assist the war effort. This original Georgian 1 ½ pounder field cannon was found in the early 1980’s on its Portuguese form wheeled carriage indicating that this cannon was one of those supplied to Portugal by Britain during the Peninsular war. These Cannon were often pulled / transported by Mules to and around the battle field. Although the cannon itself and all of the carriage’s original metal work was found to be in excellent condition for its age the woodwork had to a great extent perished. To the credit of the finder, they understood the historical significance of this artillery piece and consulted with English Heritage who supplied detailed plans of period artillery carriage construction & with their advice and supervision made an exact reproduction of the woodwork in Oak. The carriage is mounted with a brass plate inscribed ‘carriage made by A.C Cruse Ipplepen Devon April 1982’. All of the original iron fittings including many iron pyramid studs, bolts, nuts, wheel rims, elevation adjustment wheel, trunnion brackets, rope drag hooks, handling bars, strengthening frames, assembly pins and chains were then painstakingly re-fitted to the carriage to bring this superb artillery piece back to life. The cast iron cannon barrel itself measures 100cm length, the touch hole is open and the smooth bore clean. The top of the barrel has the George III crown as depicted on coins of the era and calibre detail ‘1 ½’ (Pounder). There are no visible proof marks on the cannon. The cannon has even patina, no rust and correct trunnions. The cannon sits securely on the carriage and is held in place by the correct removable iron trunnion plates with 4 chains and pins on the carriage which allows the barrel to be easily removed for inspection or transport. All metal work of the carriage has even patina and no rust. The Oak, spoked wheels with iron pyramid studded rims and iron supports are secured by the correct chains and pins, allowing the wheels to be easily removed for inspection or transport. The cannon including the carriage measures 2.1082 Metres overall length, 96.5 cms width from axle hub to axle hub and 73.5 cms height (diameter of wheels). This is a substantial, extremely rare, historic artillery piece and delivery will be by arrangement and at cost. Sn 15398
£9,750.00

QUALITY, Late 18th Century English Twigg London Double Barrel, Over & Under, Double Barrel, Tap Action, 40 Bore, Flintlock Pistol With Screw Off Barrels. Sn 15428 - 15428
John Fox Twigg was born at Grantham, Linconshire, in 1732 and is listed by Heer (1978) as being apprenticed to the Irish gunmaker, Edward Newton (active 1718-1764), though no dates for the apprenticeship are offered. By 1755, Blackmore (1986) lists Twigg working as a gunmaker from Angel Ct., Charing Cross until 1760 when he moved to 132 Strand, opposite Catherine St., and continued at this address until 1776. He moved again in 1776, this time to Piccadilly where he remained until 1790. During these 14 years he opened several warehouses; at little Somerset St., in 1771; 30 Cornhill, 1777 and Tower Hill in 1779. His only son, John, was apprenticed in 1786 to Henry Nock, and subsequently inherited his father's business. This is a quality made over & under, tap action flintlock pistol by Twigg. It's round steel screw off barrels are 1 ¾” in length (6 ¾” overall). The barrels are unscrewed by placing a specially made tool into notches within the muzzle opening of each barrel (we do not have the tool). The smooth bores have staining and residue consistent with age and the underside of the action has black powder proofs. Its heavy steel frame is nicely engraved on both sides with foliate motifs. On the left side the motif bears the maker’s name 'Twigg' and the right ‘London’. The trigger guard is engraved with a foliate design. It has a steel slide safety, steel pan and hammer which is fitted with a flint. The pistol's bag shaped walnut grip is undamaged. The pistol cocks and dry fires perfectly and the tap action operated by a rounded lever on the left side of the pan functions perfectly. Price for this desirable pistol by a quality maker includes UK delivery. NB as an antique flintlock pistol no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 15428
£975.00

C1840 Irish Mc Dermot Dublin 40 Bore Percussion Overcoat Pistol With Silver Stock Mounts & Damascus Barrel. Sn 12756 - 12756
The Irish Gunmakers Farrell & Henry Mc Dermott / Mc Dermot were two prolific makers of pistols in Dublin and are recorded at 1 Abbey Street Dublin in the early to Mid 1800’s. Their guns appear with both spellings "Mc Dermott" or "Mc Dermot". The relevance of the different spellings and the connection between these two gunmakers has yet to be established (they were originally listed by M.S. Dudley Westropp, MRIA, Journal Arms & Armour Society, 1957 Vol.11. No 1). This is an excellent percussion pistol by Mc Dermot, Dublin. It has an undamaged walnut full stock with chequered pistol grip and inlaid silver escutcheon. It has steel furniture and silver stock mounts,. The trigger guard with pineapple finial and hammer have foliate engraved decoration. The action has a sliding safety bolt feature. The action plate is signed ‘Mc Dermot’. It measures 8 ½” overall length and has a 4 ½” Damascus barrel grooved for sighting and small blade fore sight. The sighting groove is marked ‘Dublin’. The action tang and muzzle edge have foliate engraved decoration. The pistol’s smooth bore is clean. The pistol has its original wood ram rod with brass end cap. It’s cocking and firing actions work as they should. The price for this Irish overcoat pistol by prolific Dublin gunsmiths worthy of further research includes UK delivery. NB As an antique percussion pistol no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a private collection or display. Sn 12756
£895.00

MASSIVE, 1823- 1851 William Burnett Southampton 9 Bore Percussion Muzzle Loading Wildfowling Bank Gun With Walnut Stock & Ramrod. Sn 15395 - 15395
William Burnett was an English Southampton based gunsmith between 1823 & 1851. This is a massive percussion wildfowling gun by Burnett. This size of gun (5’ 5” overall length) were lay on riverbanks and sand dunes to support the heavy weight of the gun when hunting wild fowl. It is 9 bore and has a 49” round, browned, steel barrel. Its bore has just staining consistent with age & use. The barrel has a small indistinct inspection / proof mark (illustrated).It has walnut stock with horn fore stock cap. The wood has just knocks bumps and bruises consistent with age. The top of the wrist is inlaid with void German silver escutcheon. The metal work has engraved foliate decoration. It has a steel butt plate. The action plate is signed ‘Burnett’ amongst foliate decoration. It has a heavy steel dolphin hammer. The barrel has a small brass post foresight. The piece is complete with its original wood ramrod with brass end cap and brass threaded tip. Its cocking & firing actions work perfectly. The price for this massive fowling piece includes UK delivery. NB As an antique percussion firearm no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of collection or display. Sn 15395
£2,200.00

Late 1700’s – Early 1800’s Pair Of Irish J. Bloomer Flintlock Pocket Pistols With 40 Bore Screw Off Barrels & Concealed Triggers. Sn 15343 - 15343
The surname Bloomer was first found Ireland where the Bloomer family held a seat from very ancient times. This is an excellent pair of flintlock pocket pistols signed ‘J. Bloomer’ most likely made in Ireland. They are each 6 ¼” overall with 1 ¾” screw off barrels which are 40 bore. The bores of each barrel have just light staining consistent with age and use. The underside of the pistols have crisp proofs. On the left side they are engraved 'J. Bloomer’ within banners and the right sides have engraved banners and void centre panel. Both pistols have concealed triggers and swan neck hammers, one fitted with flint. Both pistols have sliding safety bolts which have tooled decoration. The firing actions of both these pistols work as they should. Their bag shaped wood grips with chequered panel back edges are undamaged and fitted with void silver escutcheons. The price for this matching pair of pistols includes UK delivery. NB As antique flintlock pistols no licence is required to own them in the UK if retained as a part of a collection or display. Sn 15343
£1,295.00

Victorian British Tranter’s Patent .30 Calibre Five Shot Double Action Percussion Revolver With Spurless Hammer & Octagonal Barrel To Dr G. Lammert. Sn 15325 - 15325
This is an excellent, original, Tranter’s Patent 5 shot percussion revolver with spurless hammer. The weapon's double action firing mechanism work as it should and the cylinder can be removed for speed loading. The top of the frame is crisply inscribed ‘Dr G. Lammert’ no doubt the original owner of this pistol. Its walnut chequered grip is in excellent condition and has a stepped steel butt cap. It has ‘v’ notch plate rear sight and blade fore sight. The pistol’s 4” octagonal barrel has a clean bore with crisp well defined rifling. It measures 8 ¾” overall length. The pistol's metal work is undamaged has crisp foliate tooled decoration and all original finish. The price for this excellent percussion pistol includes UK delivery. NB As an antique percussion revolver no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 15325
£975.00

Victorian 1844 British Enfield Tower 16 Bore Percussion Smooth Bore Yeomanry Cavalry Carbine Regiment Or Unit Marked ‘C2’ With Captive Steel Ram Rod & Saddle Bar. Sn 14161 - 14161
This is an original, Victorian British Enfield Tower made Yeomanry Cavalry Carbine. It has all original walnut full stock which has the bumps and bruises to be expected with age and service use & blued metal work. One side of the stock has a small 'BO arrow' War Dept Board Of Ordnance impressed mark and another indistinct small impressed inspection mark. The other side has contemporary lightly scratched initials 'JD'. It has a heavy military percussion Dolphin hammer and the lock plate is crisply stamped Crown VR (Victoria Regina) & 'Tower' (Enfield) with '1844' date & inspection mark. The brass butt plate is numbered ‘C2’ most likely a Yeomanry cavalry Regiment or Unit mark. Its 20" barrel’s smooth bore has just light staining consistent with age. The carbine measures 36" overall. The top of the barrel is stamped with crisp proof/inspection marks at the breech. It has the correct steel saddle bar and brass furniture. It has a fixed sights and under barrel captive steel ramrod. It cocks & dry fires perfectly as it should. The price includes UK delivery. NB As an antique percussion Carbine no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 14161
£895.00

American Mexican War & Civil War Eras, .54 Calibre M1842 US Aston Percussion Cavalry & Navy Pistol With Captive Ram Rod, Brass Fittings & Cudgel Butt. A 612 - A 612
In the early 1840s, Henry Aston, Ira N. Johnson and a number of associates set up a factory in Middlefield, Connecticut, to complete a government contract for martial pistols of the 1842 pattern. The smoothbore Aston/Johnson used the same 54-calibre ball as the new Mississippi Rifle from the Eli Whitney Jr. factory. While it was strongly associated with the cavalry of the day, the 1842 was actually a general service pistol along the lines of the British and French percussion handguns adopted the same year and many examples bear naval markings. Some 34,000 pistols saw production by 1850 and, upon completion of the contract, Johnson continued making the pistols under his own name. He filled an order for an additional 10,000 between 1853 and 1855. The Palmetto Armory added 1,000 units to the total. The Aston/Johnson pistols, in their most familiar role, replaced very similar flintlocks in the saddle holsters of mounted troops. They saw considerable use on the Oregon Trail and in the United States/Mexican war of 1847-48. Issued in pairs, they afforded the Dragoons a couple of extra shots after they discharged their muskets and closed with an enemy. The 1842 is a sturdy pistol with reinforcing brass mounting and a substantial “ball” capping the butt to serve as a cudgel. Our example is in excellent condition. There are no manufacturer or date marks externally visible on our example but all metal and wood is original with even patina. The pistol has the correct brass fittings including, small blade fore sight, cudgel butt, heavy military hammer and captive steel ram rod. It is 14 ½” overall length with an 8 ¼” steel smooth bore barrel. The bore has staining and residue consistent with age and use. The action functions as it should. As an antique percussion pistol no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a display or collection. A 612
£595.00

Very Rare, American Civil War, .50 Bore Warner 1864 Patent Breech Loading Cavalry Carbine By Greene Rifle Works With Unique Slide Extractor Feature, Saddle Bar & Ring. Sn 15250 - 15250
The Warner Carbine is a fine example of the many styles of innovative, breech loading, metallic cartridge arms that were procured in relatively small numbers by the US Ordnance Department during the American Civil War. The Warner Carbine was the brainchild of James Warner of Springfield, MA. Warner had a long history of employment in the firearms industry, and had at one time worked at Eli Whitney’s factory in Whitneyville, Connecticut, where he was involved with the production of the Walker pattern Colt revolvers that Whitney produced for Colt. He subsequently went to work for the newly formed Springfield Arms Manufacturing Company of Springfield, MA. Warner served as factory superintendent and sale agent for the company and contributed his designs in the form of several percussion revolving rifles. Springfield Arms Company also produced several models of percussion revolvers in a variety of calibres, some with manually revolved cylinders and some with self-rotating, single action lock mechanisms. In 1864 Warner received two patents related to his newly designed carbine; around Christmas 1864 they were initially issued to the 1st Wisconsin Cavalry and 3rd Massachusetts Cavalry for use in the Civil War. The carbine was a single shot, breech loading, metallic cartridge carbine. This scarce American Civil War Warner Carbine was manufactured by the Greene Rifle Works Worcester Mass USA. The carbine has a pinched blade front sight and a single leaf rear sight. The left side of the barrel and breech have proofs. The left side of the frame has a saddle bar and is marked "GREENE RIFLE WORKS WORCESTER, MASS.PAT'D. 1864". The serial number '11178' is located on the inside of the receiver. It's unique manual slide extractor is located on the underside of the fore stock and functions as it should. The weapon's brass frame and butt plate together with hinged breech block opened by operation of a knurled sliding thumb catch are all excellent and undamaged. It's loading & firing action work (the original main spring is now weak as is common with weapons of this age but operates correctly). It has a 20" round barrel (37" overall). The bore is clean with crisp rifling. The weapon's wood stock with chequered panels is excellent with just the bumps & bruises to be expected of a weapon of this age. The weapon has its original steel saddle bar & ring. The price for this rare Civil War carbine includes UK delivery. NB As an antique obsolete calibre rim fire carbine no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 15250
£1,950.00
Previous 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  Next Page 21 of 33