Items: 0 Price: £0    
view cart

Antique Guns and Equipment

Previous 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  Next Page 19 of 45

**QUALITY**C1800 Avery & Co New Bond Street London 32 Bore Percussion Traveling Pistol (C1820 Converted From Flintlock) With Octagonal Damascus Barrel. Sn 21355 - 21355
This is an excellent original percussion pistol (Period Converted From Flintlock). It is 12” overall with a 7” octagonal steel barrel. The barrel has a small German silver bead fore sight, ‘v’ notch block rear sight, silver band and roundel insert at the breech. The smooth bore is clean. The action plate is signed by the maker Avery & Co London, the top of the barrel is signed ’63 New Bond Street’ and has the makers cartouche (all illustrated). It has a walnut stock with chequered panel grip. The stock has a void silver escutcheon. The wood has just light bumps and bruises to be expected with age. Its action plate, steel trigger guard with extended tang and Pineapple finial & action tang have foliate engraved decoration. The action has a safety bolt. It is complete with its ebonised wood ramrod with polished horn end cap and steel worm. Its action works crisply. The price for this pistol worthy of further research regarding the maker includes UK delivery. NB As an antique percussion pistol no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as a part of a collection or display. Sn 21355
£1,475.00

C1820 W&J Rigby Dublin Ireland 15 Bore Flintlock Holster Pistol With Fish Tail Stock, Brass Furniture & Captive Ram Rod. Sn 21350 - 21350
John Rigby & Company (or John Rigby & Co. (Gunmakers) Ltd) is the oldest gunmaking firm in continuous operation in the English-speaking world. Rigby has a distinguished history of technological advancement for both sporting and military application. Rigby rifles, guns and pistols have played prominent roles throughout the British Empire and particularly in Asia and Africa. The company was established by the first John Rigby in Dublin, Ireland in 1775. After the founding John Rigby's death, in 1818, his sons William and John Jason Rigby operated the business as W. & J. Rigby from circa 1820 to 1865, a period that spanned flintlock, percussion, pinfire and needlefire ignition and marked the start of the modern metallic cartridge era. Rigby was a leader in barrel-making and rifling technology and, at the time, it was also recognised for its high grade dueling pistols. This is an excellent original W&J Rigby Dublin flintlock holster pistol, made around 1820. It is a sturdy pistol, 15 ½” overall length with a 9” heavy steel barrel. The smooth bore has staining & residue consistent with age & use. The round steel barrel has a flat barrel rib faintly signed ‘W&J Rigby Dublin’. The fish tail stock is all original, made from Walnut and it has brass furniture. It has its original captive steel ram rod. The lock plate is signed 'W&J Rigby' and works crisply. The price includes UK delivery. NB. As an antique flintlock pistol no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as a part of a collection or display. Sn 21350
£1,495.00

C1840 British Cavalry Officer’s Private Purchase .650 Carbine Calibre Percussion Holster Pistol With Captive Steel Ram Rod & Hinged Trap. Sn 18706. - 18706
This is a very good, original British Cavalry officer’s holster pistol. It has all original wood work with chequered panel grip. Its metal work has foliate engraved decoration and it has a hinged trap in the butt. It has its captive steel ram rod. The pistol measures 16” overall with a 9 ¾” 2 stage barrel. The smooth bore has staining & residue consistent with age & use. The barrel has a brass blade fore sight. The cocking and firing mechanism is crisp. There are no visible maker or date marks on the pistol. The price includes UK delivery. NB As an antique percussion pistol no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as a part of a collection or display. Sn 18706.
£845.00

1851 U.S Army Haston & Co Middletown Connecticut Model 1842 .54 Calibre Muzzle Loading Percussion Cavalry Pistol. Sn 20475. - 20475
These single-shot black powder muzzle loaders were made between 1845 and 1852. The pistols saw service in the American Indian wars, Mexican wars and later In the American Civil war. This is an original U.S Army Haston & Co Middletown Connecticut 1851 Dated Model 1842 .54 Calibre Muzzle Loading Percussion Cavalry Pistol. This pistol has a Walnut Stock with regulation brass fittings. The metal & brass have factory / military acceptance marks (illustrated). The wood is all original with knocks, bumps and bruises to be expected. The lock plate is signed by the maker Haston & Co Middtn Conn’ together with US army mark and 1851 date. The 8 ½” barrel’s smooth bore has staining and residue consistent with age and service use. It measures 14 ¼” overall length. The pistol retains the original captive iron ramrod. The pistol has a brass blade fore sight. The pistol cocks and dry fires with a strong action. The price includes UK delivery. NB As an antique percussion pistol no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 20475.
£1,195.00

East India Company Type F .75” Musket Bore Percussion Musket. Sn. 16416:16 - 16416:16
This is an East India Company type F percussion musket. The gun measures 54 ¾ inches in length. The 39 inch round smooth steel barrel which has staining and residue consistent with age and use. It is also fitted with a pattern F bayonet catch. The barrel has British black powder proof marks and has a block foresight and a v back sight. The original percussion lock plate is crisply marked with the EIC rampant lion and cocks correctly. The gun has its original walnut stock which has the knocks, bumps and bruises to be expected with age and service use. The round steel ramrod has a round rammer head with a short section under it being square. The gun has brass furniture including butt plate, trigger guard, fore end and ram rod mounts. The gun retains its original iron sling swivels and barrel is attached to the stock with 3 steel wedges. The metal work has even patina throughout. The gun has Nepalese markings on the top of the butt plate. The price includes UK delivery. As an antique musket no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 16416:16
£975.00

**SCARCE**TRANSITIONAL**MINT BORE**Cased, Victorian English, Thomas Kerslake Baker’s 1852 Patent, German Silver Frame, 54 Bore Six Chamber Cap & Ball Revolving Lever Cock Percussion Pistol. Sn 21229 - 21229
Thomas Baker was born on the 25th of September, 1800. He owned a gunsmithing business at 88 Fleet Street in London, and patented a type of hammer for percussion revolver in 1852, which had a notched cocking handle attached. This hammer achieved fair popularity with British revolvers of the time. In 1857, Frederick T. Baker took over Thomas’ business and produced hunting shotguns until the twentieth century. Thomas Baker passed away in his late 70’s in 1879 (British Patent No. 3230 of 24 April 1852 for his ‘long-spur hammer’ see A.W.F. Taylerson, R.A.N. Andrews and J. Frith, The Revolver 1818-1865, 1968, p. 46, pl. 6 and pp. 68-69, fig. 8). This is a scarce cased transitional Bakers Registered 1852 Patent Six Chamber Revolving Lever Cock Pistol in excellent condition. The pistol is 11 ¼” overall length. It retains its original finish throughout, 5” octagonal to round blued barrel and cylinder, long lever action hammer marked Bakers Patent, engraved German silver frame with serial number ‘1911’ The cylinder & barrel have English black powder proofs. The pistol’s original Walnut grips are undamaged. The pistol’s cocking and firing actions are crisp. Its safety bolt works correctly at half cock to prevent firing when loading percussion caps. The barrel’s bore is near mint, clean and bright with well defined multi groove rifling. The pistol is contained in its wood case with hinged lid. The top of the lid is inlaid with a void brass roundel. The case has a brass lock (key absent). Inside the lid of the case is an original trade label with instructions for use. The price for this excellent, rare to find cased transitional pistol includes UK delivery. NB As an antique percussion revolver no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 21229
£2,250.00

1893 Dated, Winchester Repeating Arms Company (WRA Co) USA Model 1887 Law Enforcement & Stage Coach Companies Obsolete Calibre 10 Gauge Under Lever Action Shotgun. - A 1080
The Model 1887 was one of the first truly successful repeating shotguns. Its lever-action design was chosen at the behest of the Winchester Repeating Arms Company, best known at the time as manufacturers of lever-action firearms such as the Winchester model 1873. Designer John Browning suggested that a pump-action would be much more appropriate for a repeating shotgun, but Winchester management's position was that, at the time, the company was known as a "lever-action firearm company" and felt that their new shotgun must also be a lever-action for reasons of brand recognition. The shotguns were used widely by U.S. law enforcement agencies and stagecoach companies. This Model 1887 is furnished with a 30” barrel. The weapons serial number is 45364 which dates its manufacture to 1893. The metalwork and wood is all original and the barrel has staining which is consistent with use. The action tang has crisp Winchester name and 1886 Patent detail. The action has the Winchester ‘WRA’ monogram stamped to the left hand side. The shotgun has a bead fore sight and grooved frame rear sight. NB As an antique, obsolete calibre weapon, no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. A 1080
£2,950.00

British 1863 Dated Enfield Tower 1853 Pattern .577 Calibre 3 Band Presentation Rifle ‘PRESENTED BY G H WHALLEY ESQ MP TO BENJAMIN LLOYD LEWIS OF NANT YR HENDY FOR HIS MANLY AND CORRECT CONDUCT IN THE AFFAIR OF THE 7TH SEPT 1863’ P1853 Bayonet & Scabbard - 21273
George Hammond Whalley (22 January 1813 – 8 October 1878) was a British lawyer and Liberal Party politician. He was the eldest son of James Whalley, a merchant and banker from Gloucester, and a direct descendant of Edward Whalley, the regicide. George was educated at University College London, gaining a first class degree in Metaphysics and Rhetoric. He entered Gray's Inn in 1835, and was called to the bar in 1839. He was an assistant tithe commissioner between 1836 and 1847, writing over 200 articles for the Justice of the Peace between 1838 and 1842. In 1838 and 1839 he published a pair of treatises on the Tithe Acts, which were expanded and published in 1848 as The Tithe Act and the Whole of the Tithe Amendment Acts. During the Great Famine in 1847 he established several fisheries on the Irish west coast. In 1852 he was made Sheriff of Caernarvonshire, a deputy lieutenant of Denbighshire and a captain in the Denbighshire Yeomanry. He unsuccessfully stood for Parliament at the 1852 general election in Montgomery and was returned to Parliament on his second attempt at a by-election in December 1852[ for the City of Peterborough. There were reports of irregularities in the election, which had been heavily influenced by Earl Fitzwilliam, and his election was voided on 8 June 1853. A second by-election was held on 25 June 1853, when Whalley was re-elected. Another election petition was lodged, and a Committee of the House of Commons was established in July 1853 to investigate the case. The committee determined that he had not been legitimately elected, and reinstated his opponent, Thomson Hankey. He was once again elected, however, in the 1859 general election. An Anglican, Whalley was persuaded to lead the parliamentary campaign against Roman Catholicism, taking over from the ailing Richard Spooner. His principal aim was to abolish the Maynooth Grant, claiming that Britain was paying for the creation of Catholic priests whose goal was to turn Britain into a "citadel of Popery". His three motions for the creation of a committee to consider repeal of the grant were all defeated in 1861, 1862, and 1863, and he experienced difficulty in getting his anti-Catholic speeches heard due to opposition from the numerous Irish MPs. In 1866 he claimed to have evidence that Vatican machinations had caused the defeat of British troops in New Zealand, that Cardinal Cullen, the Irish primate, intended to place a Stuart pretender on the throne of England, and that the Pope had taken control of the British artillery corps, the police, the telegraph office, and railway companies. He was also a zealous supporter of Arthur Orton, the notorious Tichborne Claimant, and was eventually jailed by Lord Chief Justice Cockburn, who tried the case, for contempt of court. He died insolvent in 1878, still in office (a period portait photogra of GH Whalley MP is illustrated in the images). This is a very good British Enfield Tower 1853 pattern percussion rifle presented by Whalley to BENJAMIN LLOYD LEWIS OF NANT YR HENDY (North Wales) most likely for his assistance in Whalley’s 1861, 1862, and 1863 committee motions to repeal the Maynooth grant. It has a 39” barrel and measures 55” overall. The barrel’s bore has crisp rifling and just light staining consistent with age and use. It has its original undamaged walnut stock and regulation brass fittings. The stock is mounted with a white metal presentation plate engraved ‘PRESENTED BY G H WHALLEY ESQ MP TO BENJAMIN LLOYD LEWIS OF NANT YR HENDY FOR HIS MANLY AND CORRECT CONDUCT IN THE AFFAIR OF THE 7TH SEPT 1863’ It has a heavy military hammer, block & blade fore sight & adjustable ladder rear sight. The action plate is crisply marked with Queen’s Crown, ‘Tower’ (Enfield) and ‘1863’ date. The barrel has proofs. The rifle has sling swivels and iron ramrod. The rifle has a strong cocking and firing action. The rifle is accompanied by an original period British P1853 socket bayonet. The bayonet measures 21” overall length and has a 17 ½” triangular blade. It has the correct swivel locking catch at the socket. The bayonet has staining consistent with age but no rust. The blade has inspection marks and indistinct makers name. The bayonet has its original brass mounted leather scabbard in very good condition. The price for this nice P1853 rifle presented by a controversial British MP worthy of further research regarding the circumstances of the presentation and the named recipient includes UK delivery. NB As an antique percussion weapon no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 21273
£1,895.00

**RARE**1841 Dated American Frontier Deringer Model 1817 .54 Calibre Black Powder Muzzle Loading Flintlock 'Common Rifle' With Patch Box & Iron Ram Rod. Sn 21270 - 21270
The M1817 common rifle (also known as Deringer M1817 rifle) was a flintlock muzzle-loaded weapon issued due to the Dept. of Ordnance's order of 1814, produced by Henry Deringer and used from the 1820s to 1840s at the American frontier. Referred to as the “Common Rifle” by both collectors and historians. It derived its name due to that it was being manufactured simultaneously with the Hall’s Rifle and the 1817 was the more common of the two (the Hall being a breech loading weapon), but there was definitely nothing common about this unique offering to U.S. martial weapons. Unlike the half octagon barrelled M1814 common rifle that preceded it, it had a barrel that was round for most of its length. The 36” barrel was rifled for .54 calibre bullets. For rifling it had seven grooves. Like the M1814 common rifle, it had a large oval patch box in the stock, however the stock dropped steeper than on the M1814 common rifle. After producing the M1814 common rifle through contractors, the military decided to do the same with the M1817 rifle. The Harper's Ferry Arsenal produced a pattern weapon, which was then taken to gunsmiths to be copied. The rifle was built by Henry Deringer of Philadelphia (13,000 made), Nathan Starr & Co. of Middleton, Conn. (10,200 made), Simeon North of Middleton, Conn. (7,200 made), R. Johnson of Middleton, Conn. (5,000 made), R. & J. D. Johnson of Middleton, Conn. (3,000 made). During the American Civil War, some of these flintlocks were converted to percussion. This is a very good rare to find muzzle loading Derringer M1817 flintlock rifle. This example has all original wood stock which has just the bumps & bruises to be expected with age & use. It has iron fittings including trigger guard with extended tang, butt plate, barrel bands, fore end block, iron ramrod & hinged patchbox. The rifle measures 51” overall with a 36” round steel barrel. The barrel has JH over P inspection marks. The barrel’s bore has the correct deep cut 7 groove rifling which has just light staining consistent with age. The rifle is fitted with blade fore sight and peep rear sight. Its steel cock fitted with flint. The lock plate is dated 1841 and is signed ‘Deringer Philada’. The metal work has even patina. The cocking and firing actions are crisp. The price for this rare flintlock includes UK delivery. NB As an antique flintlock firearm no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 21270
£1,675.00

**MINT BORE**Boer War Era, South African Republic (ZAR) British Contract Martini Henry 577x 450 Obsolete Centre Fire Calibre Rifle & 1 x Inert Deactivated Kynoch Round. Sn 21330 - 21330
Prior to the Boer War, British gun makers sold contract shipments of their Martini Action 577 x 450 Calibre Rifles to the Boer, South African Republic (ZAR or Zuid Afrikaansche Republiek). The stopping Power of the large Martini 577x 450 round, simplicity of the Martini Action were favoured by the Dutch farmers. During the Boer War the weapons were used by South African Republic (ZAR) and Orange free State (OVS) forces against the British Army in most of the Major Battles. This is an excellent original example of a British made rifle sold to the ZAR. It has all original metalwork and wood furniture which has even patina throughout. The wood has just light knocks bumps and bruises to be expected of a weapon of this age. It is complete with block and blade fore sight, flip up ladder rear sight & sling swivels. The action is stamped ‘ZAR’ and numbered ‘8636’. Therre are no visible maker marks but the barrel has British proofs and the lever has british WD marks indicating the rifle was made using British service rifle parts. The bore of its 32 ½” barrel is near mint clean and bright with well defined rifling. The wood has impressed numbers (illustrated). The loading and firing actions work crisply. The rifle comes with a single Inert Deactivated Round Of Kynoch .577/.450 Ammunition. The price for this rare historic Boer War era piece includes UK delivery. NB As an obsolete calibre antique firearm no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 21330
£1,475.00
Previous 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  Next Page 19 of 45