Items: 0 Price: £0    
view cart

Antique Guns and Equipment

Previous 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  Next Page 18 of 45

**EXREMELY RARE**VICTORIAN BANK OF ENGLAND BRITISH ARMY HOUSEHOLD GUARD PICQUET’S**Cased, 1859-1866 London Armoury Company / Alexander Henry Edinburgh Kerr’s Patent 54 Bore Single Action Percussion Revolver. Sn 21218 - 21218
James Kerr had been the foreman for the Deane, Adams and Deane gun factory. Robert Adams, one of the partners and inventor of the Adams revolver, was Kerr's cousin. Kerr developed an improvement to the Adams revolver, British Patent No. 1722 of July 28, 1855, and when Adams left the Deane brothers to found the London Armoury Company on February 9, 1856, Kerr went with him. The London Armoury Company manufactured military rifles and revolvers. Kerr's Patent Revolver was an unusual 5-shot revolver manufactured from 1859 to 1866 by the London Armoury Company. Most were made in 44 Calibre (54 Bore) and only a few in the smaller .36 Calibre. It is easily recognised by its side-mounted hammer. " AS SAFE AS THE BANK OF ENGLAND" is a saying that many of us hear from childhood. It may indeed be heard throughout the world wherever English is spoken. What does it signify? It is an acknowledgement that the Bank of England is regarded as utterly reliable in all its undertakings, and anything entrusted to its care as completely safe and secure. The Bank was founded in 1694, as a company in which any member of the public could buy shares: but in 1946 the Government acquired all the shares by Act of Parliament and the Bank is now owned by the Nation. Along with its other financial responsibilities the bank holds vast quantities of the nation’s gold reserves which requires protection as a deterrent against attack & Robbery. Although the word" deterrent" has been used above, the origin of the Bank Picquet (Guard) lay in more active conditions. It began on the 6th June 1780 when the Lord Mayor of the day requested the Secretary of State" for some Horse & Foot in order to protect the Mansion House and the Bank". This was in the middle of the Gordon Riots: that day the mob had burned down Newgate Prison: and the next night they did indeed attack the Bank, but the military guard was in place and the mob was driven off with some fatal casualties. From that day to this the Bank of England has been provided with a nightly guard, generally found by one of the battalions of the Household Brigade fulfilling public duties in London. In the course of the 19th Century it was suggested that the guard should be furnished from the militia but the Court of the Bank did not agree to the suggestion and said that they had great reason to believe that the military guard" was highly approved in foreign countries and they are considered a great Security to the property of the Stockholders, who Bank of England Archive (7A147/3) deem a Guard established from the King's Own Guards as a greater Security than any private Guard". The Court of the Bank to-day are of the same opinion in this matter as were their predecessors. In the early days the march from Barracks to the Bank through the crowded streets caused annoyance to the public as the Picquet jostled the pedestrians off the pavement. As a result of complaints it was subsequently ordered that they should march in the roadway. Of more recent years this caused inconvenience to the traffic: but the sight of the Picquet marching through the streets was a valuable reminder to all and sundry that the Reserves of the Realm were considered so important as to justify protection by the Brigade of Guards. The present arrangements, using army vehicles, give a less obvious reminder but are more economical and more effective. Until 1963 the Guard was mounted in Guard Order and sentries were posted in ceremonial manner. In 1963 the decision was taken to discontinue the ceremonial and since then the Guard has been mounted tactically in an order of dress more appropriate to its modern duties. The strength of the Guard has varied over the years. The Guard has always been under the command of an officer and from 1780 until 1900 consisted of 34 Non-Commissioned Officers and Guardsmen. Between 1900 and 1918 there were two reductions and in 1919 the Picquet was increased again. The composition of the Guard was subsequently changed in 1933, 1948 and 1963. This is an excellent, original, cased Kerr single action revolver issued in the Victorian era to the Army Household Guard Bank Of England Picquet. It is 54 Bore & has the correct captive loading lever and side mounted hammer. The pistol has a 5 ½” octagonal barrel (11 ½” overall). The bore has just light staining & well defined rifling. One barrel flat is signed ‘LAC’ (London Armoury Company) and has Victorian English proofs. It has a brass post fore sight and ‘v’ notch frame rear sight. The metal in the white is clean. The action frame is signed ‘London Armoury Co’ & ‘Kerr’s Patent 10896’. The number & proofs are repeated on the cylinder (the number is the serial number of the gun, and not the patent number). The most interesting feature of this already rare revolver is that the top of the cylinder frame is crisply marked ‘Bank Of England’ no doubt to the Household Guard bank Of England Picquet making this an extremely rare historic piece. Its chequered walnut grip is undamaged. The pistol's Kerr's Patent firing mechanism works crisply. The pistol is contained in its wood case. The felt lined case has compartments which snugly fit the weapon and has room for accessories. The case has a brass lock (key absent). The price for this extremely rare historic cased pistol worthy of further research includes UK delivery. NB As an antique cap & ball percussion revolver no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 21218
£5,250.00

**RARE**1866 British BSA Snider MK II Naval Pattern 2 Band .577 Obsolete Calibre Short Rifle With Chained Nipple Protector & 1 x Inert Deactivated Round. Sn 21337 - 21337
This is an excellent, rare to find example of the Snider MK II Naval Pattern 2 band rifle. The action plate is stamped by the manufacturer ‘BSA Co’ and dated 1866. It has all original wood work in excellent condition. It has the correct steel fittings. It has its original bayonet bar, sling swivels, steel cleaning rod, ladder rear sight and block with blade fore sight. The barrel’s bore has just light staining consistent with age and service use and well defined rifling. The Total length is 44 ¾” with a 26 ½” barrel. The breech has the correct MK II type hinged cover without locking catch. The breech has snider’s Patent with ‘arrow’ mark and BSA Co mark. The rifle also has British proofs. The action is fitted with link chained nipple protector. The cocking & firing action work crisply. The rifle comes with a single Inert Deactivated Round Of Kynoch .577 Ammunition. The price includes UK delivery. NB As an antique obsolete calibre rifle no licence is required to own this rifle in the UK if retained as a part of a collection or display. Sn 21337
£1,395.00

**QUALITY**MAKER**C1800 English John Manton London, 14 Bore, Single Barrel Muzzle Loading, Flintlock Later Period Converted To Percussion Shotgun With 2 Stage Damascus Steel Barrel. Sn 21276 - 21276
The famous English gunsmiths John Manton (1752-1834) & Son, George Henry (1789-1854) worked at Dover Street Piccadilly London. Between C1833 to 1844 George Henry Manton went into partnership with the Gunsmith William Hudson. The partnership continued to trade under the name Manton & Son (see page 170 of British Gunmakers Vol 1 by Brown). This is an excellent muzzle loading shotgun by John Manton London made C1800 and later period converted to percussion. It has a 32 ½” 2 stage sighted Damascus steel barrel and measures 49” overall. The top of the barrel has a gold signature ‘---MANTON * LONDON---‘. The smooth bore has just staining consistent with age. The shotgun has its original walnut stock with steel butt plate. The wrist has quality chequering and the fore stock has a polished horn cap. It has a Dolphin hammer and a plain steel action plate faintly signed ‘Manton’, steel trigger guard with extended tang and Pineapple finial. It has a wood ramrod with brass end cap. The weapon cocks & dry fires crisply. The price for this quality antique shotgun by the famous maker Manton includes UK delivery. NB As an antique percussion shotgun no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 21276
£1,475.00

C1840 English Thomas Conway Manchester Single Barrel 10 Bore Muzzle Loading Single Barrel Percussion Sporting / Hunting Shotgun With Damascus Steel Barrel. Sn 20859 - 20859
Thomas Conway was an English Gunsmith with premises in Manchester at 179 Chapel Street, 3 Market Street & 43 Blackfriars Street, Deansgate between 1803-1852. (see page 196 of Brown’s book British Gunmakers Vol.2).This is a single barrel percussion shotgun made C1840 by Thomas Conway Manchester. It has a 30” browned sighted Damascus steel barrel & measures 55 ¼” overall. The barrel’s smooth bore staining & residue consistent with age and use. It has all original walnut stock which has knocks bumps and bruises to be expected with age and use (there is a small piece of wood absent from the fore stock and an old stable & secure fine crack). It has a steel butt plate with extended tang, steel trigger guard with extended tang & Dolphin hammer. The action plate has foliate engraved decoration and is signed ‘Conway’. The top of the action tang is crisply signed ‘Conway Manchester’ The breech has gold lines and gold inlaid cartouche which looks like ‘Bixvers or Beavers Patent’. The shotgun is complete with ebonised wood ramrod which has a brass end cap. It’s cocking and firing actions work crisply. The price includes UK delivery. NB As an antique muzzle loading percussion shotgun no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of collection or display. Sn 20859
£475.00

C1845 Irish Kavanagh Dublin .750 Musket Bore Percussion Musket With Regulation Brass Furniture Irish Registration Marked ‘S6007’ (County Sligo) & Ram Rod. Sn 21271 - 21271
William Kavanagh & Sons; Wm & Jas Kavanagh; William Kavanagh & Son, Dublin, Ireland was a Gun, Pistol & Rifle Maker, Gunpowder Merchant from 1796-1928 Although established in 1796, William Kavanagh was first recorded in 1817 at 6 Anderson's Court, Greek Street, Dublin. In 1822 he made his sons (William and James) partners in the business. While he moved to 4 Upper Ormond Quay to trade as William Kavanagh, his sons traded at 11 Dame Street as William Kavanagh & Sons. By 1840 William Kavanagh was trading at 4 Upper Ormond Quay as a gunpowder merchant. In 1847 William Kavanagh & Sons took additional premises at 12 Dame Street into which they moved relinquishing 11 Dame Street later that year. In 1849, James Kavanagh was recorded trading on his own as a gunmaker at 4 Upper Ormond Quay. William Kavanagh (& Son?) was recorded at 12 Dame Street. William II appears to have managed the business. In 1853 William Snr retired or died and William and James took over to trade as Wm & James Kavanagh, gun makers and gunpowder merchants. They exhibited at the Dublin exhibition in that year. In 1872 it appears that James retired or died because William continued at 12 Dame Street with a factory in Dame Lane. It may have been at this time that William (II) made his son a partner and that the business became William Kavanagh & Son, Gun Makers and Gunpowder Merchants, in 1881 they were recorded as such. This is an, original, percussion musket by Kavanagh of Dublin. It is 55 ¼” overall length with a heavy 39 ¼” browned Damascus steel sighted barrel. Its smooth bore has just staining & residue consistent with age & use. It has its original action plate crisply signed by the maker ‘Kavanagh Dublin’. It has all original walnut stock with, iron ramrod and regulation type brass furniture. The butt plate tang has the Irish registration mark ‘S6007’ for County Sligo (these Irish County identification marks were introduced by the short lived Arms Act of 1843). The metal work has even patina throughout and the musket cocks and dry fires crisply. The price for includes UK delivery. N.B As an antique musket no licence is required to own this item in the UK as part of a collection or display. Sn 21271
£975.00

1800 -1830 Cased Pair Of English Ward Yarmouth (Norfolk) 54 Bore Flintlock Traveling Pistols With Screw Off Barrels, Folding Concealed Triggers & Powder Flask. Sn 21364 - 21364
An English Gunmaker named Ward (first name unknown) is recorded as having a shop in Yarmouth, Norfolk between 1800 & 1830 & is known to have made flintlock pistols with folding triggers (see page 104 of English, Irish & Scottish Firearms Makers by A. Merwyn Carey). This is an excellent pair of steel framed flintlock traveling pistols by Ward of Yarmouth. Each pistol measures 7” overall and have 2 ¼” screw off steel barrels. The barrel’s smooth bores have staining and residue consistent with age and use. The actions are signed ‘Ward’ & ‘Yarmouth’ & have engraved Martial banners & arms. The underside of their frames have English black powder proofs. They have steel cocks, sliding safety bolt features and folding concealed triggers. The pistol’s bag shaped wood grips are undamaged. The pistols cock and dry fire as they should. The pistols are complete with later fitted wood case. The centre of the exterior of the lid is inlaid with void brass shield. The front of the case has its original lock, with key that functions correctly. The inside of the case is lined with felt & contoured to snugly fit the pistols and accessories. The compartments contain a copper & brass powder flask with sprung nozzle & the key to the lock. The price for this excellent pair of flintlock pistols includes UK delivery. NB As antique flintlock pistols no licence is required to own them in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 21364
£975.00

**ORNATE**C1870 Liege Belgium 7mm Pinfire Obsolete Calibre 6 Shot Revolver With Folding Trigger, Octagonal Barrel & Captive Ejector Rod. Sn 21359 - 21359
This is a very ornate pinfire double action revolver made in Liege C1870. The steel frame, cylinder and barrel have quality deep cut tooled decoration and inlaid polished steel studs. It measures 7” overall with a 3” octagonal barrel. The pistol’s rifled bore has staining & residue consistent with age and use. It has a typical steel folding trigger and attractive Fish scale effect scalloped walnut grips. The barrel has Liege ‘Crown R’ mark and the cylinder has Crown ELG Liege proof mark. The pistol is side gate loading, has a brass post fore sight and a captive steel ejector rod. The price includes UK delivery. NB As an obsolete calibre pin fire revolver no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as a part of a collection or display. Sn 21359 (in drawers office)
£450.00

Dutch Beaumont Model 1871 11x52R Beaumont Obsolete Calibre Single Shot Bolt Action Carbine By P. Stevens Maastricht. Sn 18196:1 - 18196:1
The Beaumont is a turning bolt action rifle who's major distinctive feature is the arrangement of the mainspring which is housed inside the large, hollow, bulbous two-piece bolt handle. The rifle was designed by a Dutch engineer from Maastricht, from whom it gets is name. Apparently inspired by the French Chasspot, forerunner to the M1874 French Gras & similar to its early single shot bolt rifle contemporaries such as the German M1871Mauser. The rifle chambers the UK obsolete calibre11x52R Beaumont cartridge. P. Stevens of Maastricht was contracted to produce the majority of Beaumont rifles. This carbine variant example is in excellent condition. It has original undamaged wood furniture. The metal work in the white is clean and undamaged. The barrel length is 19 ¾” and it measures 38 ¾” overall. The rifle has numbers ‘451’ on the breech and bolt and other un-matching numbers. The barrel has inspection marks and ‘1871’ model designation. The breech is stamped by the maker ‘P. Stevens Maastricht’. It has an adjustable rear sight, block & blade foresight, sling swivels, cleaning rod & steel butt plate. The bore is clean with crisp rifling. The loading & firing actions work crisply. The price includes UK delivery. NB As an obsolete calibre antique carbine no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 18196:1
£750.00

TEMPORARILY UNAVAILABLE **MINT BORE**Georgian, English Ordnance Marked Enfield Tower, .600 Calibre, Flintlock Light Dragoon Pistol With Regulation Brass Fittings Including Cudgel Butt. Sn 21354 - 21354
This original Georgian, Light Dragoon Pistol is in excellent condition. It is 15 ½” long with a 9” smooth bore barrel which is Regulation .577" calibre. The barrel’s bore is near mint, clean and bright. The barrel is crisply stamped with black powder proof marks and the metal has crown ordnance inspection marks. The all original full wood stock has light bumps and bruises to be expected with age. The wood is impressed with factory inspector’s marks and Bord Of Ordnance marks (illustrated). It has brass furniture including cudgel butt which has faint numbers possibly ‘1046’ . The pistol has its original wood ram rod with brass end cap. The lock is crisply marked 'Tower' (Enfield) & ‘Crown GR’ (George Rex) together with small ordnance mark. All metal work is excellent and undamaged. The lock functions crisply. NB As an antique flintlock pistol no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a display or collection. The price includes UK delivery. Sn 21354
£0.00

SOLD SOLD **VERY RARE** MINT BORE**1867 Dated Westley Richards Whitworth Patent .451/475 'Monkey Tail' Breech Loading Percussion Pistol Regiment Marked ‘R1 C15’ To The Portuguese Lisbon Cavalry. Sn 21352 - 21352
British Military Trials on Breech Loading firearms began in the mid 1800's. The most successful rifle was that submitted by Westley Richards. Its breech consisted of a plunger attached to a long handle which, when the breech was closed, lay along the top of the stock neck and was raised to open it, thus earning the nickname of the monkey-tail from its distinctive silhouette. This is a superb example of the large (15" overall) 'Monkey tail' .451 Calibre pistol made by Westley Richards made in 1867 (1867 pistols serial number up to 1000 were issued to Lisbon Cavalry & Infantry Regiments, have 2 lanyard rings and sometimes have spurred butts. It has excellent original woodwork. It has a heavy military hammer, 9" barrel with block and blade foresight, trigger with knurled edge, steel ramrod and correct monkey tail hinged breech. The bore is near mint, clean and bright with well defined rifling. The breech is stamped 'WESTLEY RICHARDS PATENT'. It's plain lock plate is marked 'WESTLEY RICHARDS & Co' & Dated '1867' within triangle. The barrel is marked '25 GRAINS' and 'WHITWORTH PATENT'. The left side of the breech is stamped with inspection/proof marks and serial number '492' which is repeated on the trigger guard tang. It has brass fore stock block, trigger guard with extended tang and brass butt cap with military lanyard ring. The butt is Regiment marked ‘R1 C15’. The stock is also fitted with an additional lanyard ring. Although without spurred butt, the serial number and the presence of 2 lanyard rings indicates issue to Portuguese Lisbon Cavalry. Its loading and firing mechanisms work with a strong spring action. The price for this very rare pistol in excellent condition and worthy of further research regarding the Regiment marks includes UK delivery. NB As an antique percussion weapon no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 21352
£0.00
Previous 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  Next Page 18 of 45