Items: 0 Price: £0    
view cart

Miscellaneous

Previous 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Page 5 of 10

Recovered WW1 Royal Naval Block Ship at Scapa Flow, SS Thames Brass Porthole Mounted With CLock. Sn 13483 - 13483
Recovered, WW1 Royal Naval, SS Thames brass porthole. Historically, the main British naval bases were located near the English Channel to better face Britain's old enemies, France, Spain, and the Netherlands. In 1904, in response to the build-up of the German Kaiserliche Marine's High Seas Fleet, it was decided that a northern base was needed to control the entrances to the North Sea, as part of a revised policy of 'distant' rather than 'close' blockade. John Rushworth Jellicoe, admiral of the Grand Fleet, was perpetually nervous about the possibility of submarine or destroyer attacks on Scapa Flow. Whilst the fleet spent almost the first year of the war patrolling the west coast of the British Isles, their base at Scapa was defensively reinforced, beginning with over sixty block-ships sunk in the many entrance channels between the southern islands to facilitate the use of submarine nets and booms. These blocked approaches were backed by minefields, artillery, and concrete barriers. The SS Thames was one of these block ships. The SS Thames was scuttled by the Royal Navy in 1914 in Kirk Sound, (No 1 Barrier, Scapa Flow) it was a single screw steamer built in Glasgow in 1887, registered at Grangemouth and weighing 1327 Tons. The porthole was recovered by a diver Bill Smith from Scapa Flow in 1985. The porthole is solid brass and as such is very heavy. The porthole lock operates smoothly as it should. The porthole retains a small portion of the original thick glass. It is mounted on a mahogany board and it has two brass plates screwed to it, the first is inscribed with "SS Thames Steel Single Screw Steamer Built 1887 Registered Grangemouth Tonnage 1327 Sunk 1914 in Kirk Sound (No 1 Barrier, Scapa Flow)" and the second plate is etched with "Bill Smith Scapa Flow 1985". The porthole has a line of white rope round the circumference as does the mahogany plinth. The port hole measures 14 3/4" in diameter and the plinth 19 1/2" square. The clock is a Quartz clock by Monarch. Also with this item is a signed paper authenticating the recovery of the porthole signed by Bill Smith. This is a very nice display item. Please note this is a heavy item weighing just over 18kgs. The price includes UK delivery/. Sn 13483
£595.00

Excellent Victorian Copy of a heavy duty close combat Medieval Fighting Shield In Steel and Brass. Sn 13485 - 13485
An excellent faithfully and professionally made Victorian copy of a heavy duty Medieval defensive fighting shield. The shield is all metal construction and is lined on the inside in coarse linen. It has a spiked centre boss on the front. The shield also has seven decorative brass stars inlaid on the front as well as a raised symmetrical pattern in the centre. It features a coned shaped spike centre boss. The centre boss is riveted to the shield. The shield has a half round brass edge riveted to the edge. On the inside it has an arm brace and hand grip, both solid and made from metal. The inside is very neatly lined in linen and stitched. The shield measures 20" across. This is a very nicely constructed medieval fighting shield. It weighs 7.8KGs. The price includes UK delivery. Sn 13485
£475.00

WW2 Era Kings Crown Marked British Royal Navy Bosun’s Brass Loud Hailer / Horn To HMS Hotspur (Sank An Enemy Italian Submarine By Ramming During WW2) By J.W Ray & Co Liverpool. Sn 13531 - 13531
HMS Hotspur was an H-class destroyer built for the British Royal Navy during the 1930s. During the Spanish Civil War of 1936–1939 the ship spent considerable time in Spanish waters, enforcing the arms blockade imposed by Britain and France on both sides of the conflict. During the Norwegian Campaign of the Second World War, she fought in the First Battle of Narvik in April 1940 where she was badly damaged. After her repairs were completed, Hotspur was transferred to Gibraltar where she participated in the Battle of Dakar in September. A month later the ship was badly damaged when she rammed and sank an Italian submarine. She received permanent repairs in Malta and was transferred to the Mediterranean Fleet when they were finished in early 1941. Hotspur participated in the Battle of Cape Matapan in March and evacuated British and Australian troops from both Greece and Crete in April–May. In June the ship participated in the Syria-Lebanon Campaign and was escorting convoys and the larger ships of the Mediterranean Fleet until she was transferred to the Eastern Fleet in March 1942. She was converted to an escort destroyer beginning in March 1943 in the United Kingdom and was assigned to escort convoys in the North Atlantic for most of the rest of the war ( a contemporary image of the Hotspur after refit is illustrated in image 3). After a lengthy refit in late 1944, Hotspur escorted convoys in the Irish Sea until the end of the Second World War in May 1945. After the war the ship was used both as a training ship and on active duty until she was placed in reserve in early 1948. She was sold to the Dominican Republic late that year and renamed Trujillo. After the death of Rafael Trujillo, who ruled the Dominican Republic from 1930 until his assassination in 1961, the ship was renamed Duarte in 1962, and finally was sold for scrap in 1972. This is an excellent original WW2 era brass Bosun’s Brass Loud Hailer / Horn To HMS Hotspur. It measures 16 ½” length and the large opening of the horn measures 8 ½” diameter. The body is fitted with a riveted brass handle. The body of the horn is also nicely engraved with King’s crown, crossed Union flag banners and ‘HMS Hotspur’. The rim of the horn is stamped by the manufacturer ‘J.W Ray & Co Liverpool’. The horn has just light dents consistent with age & service use and functions as it should with resonance calculated to give optimum clarity and range. The price for this Horn to a Battleship that saw much action during WW2 includes UK delivery. Sn 13531
£395.00

Impressive Silver Kings Dragoon Guards Charging Cavalry Statuette Presentation Mess Piece. Misc 856 - Misc 856
This is a very impressive silver plated Mess Piece, a charging Kings Dragoon Guard, on horse back with drawn sword in a full cavalry charge. The 1st King's Dragoon Guards was a cavalry regiment in the British Army. The regiment was raised by Sir John Lanier in 1685 as the 2nd Queen's Regiment of Horse, named in honour of Queen Mary, consort of King James II. It was renamed the 2nd King's Own Regiment of Horse in 1714 in honour of George I. The regiment attained the title 1st King's Dragoon Guards in 1751. The regiment served as horse cavalry until 1937 when it was mechanised with light tanks. The regiment became part of the Royal Armoured Corps in 1939. After service in the First World War and the Second World War, the regiment amalgamated with the 2nd Dragoon Guards (Queen's Bays) in 1959 to form the 1st The Queen's Dragoon Guards. The regiment, which had been was stationed at Lucknow in India at the start of the war, landed at Marseille as part of the 8th (Lucknow) Cavalry Brigade in the 1st Indian Cavalry Division in November 1914 for service on the Western Front. The regiment saw action at the Battle of Festubert in May 1915, the Second Battle of Ypres also in May 1915 and the Battle of Morval in September 1916 but returned to India in October 1917. This statuette can only be obtained if commissioned by a serving or retired member of the regiment. It is a very impressive mess piece and the mounted Kings Dragoon Guard is mounted on a large black plinth. The ground beneath the horse has fine grass detail and a sword and spilt bucket. This is a fine detailed piece in every way. It stands 12" high and is 12 3/4" long. The price includes UK delivery. Misc 856
£675.00

SOLD SOLD (13/12) Victorian Leather Bound Cosh With Integral Weighted Ends. Sn 13422 - 13422
This is an unusual cosh most likely made sometime in the Victorian era. It measures 9 ½” overall length. The shaft has weighted ‘club’ head ends which double as pommel ends for striking and assist grip depending which way round the cosh is held. The cosh is expertly bound in brown leather . Price for this unusual piece includes UK delivery. Sn 13422
£0.00

Boer War Era British Cavalry Officers Private Purchase Leather Bound Riding Crop / Club With Integral Weighted Head For Self Defence Or Battle Use. Sn 13421 - 13421
This is an unusual riding crop form club no doubt a British Cavalry Officers private purchase weapon. It measures 25” overall including the leather wrist strap. The 17 1/2" long wood shaft with weighted ‘club’ head is expertly bound in brown leather for self defence or use in battle. The bottom end of the shaft has cord binding and a leather loop with 2 eyelets. Price for this unusual piece includes UK delivery. Sn 13421
£275.00

WW2 German Army Helios Swiss Heer Wristwatch & Leather Wrist strap. Misc. 855 - Misc 855
A WW2 Wehrmacht German Army Heer Swiss made "Helios" jewelled wristwatch. The German Army had special pocket and wristwatches for their Officers and special functions. (Deutsches Heer - German). The German Army. Letters DH designated the watches made in Switzerland under the military order for Germany during WW2. The watch face is black and is marked "Helios". The backside is marked "Stahlbowden (stainless) Wasserdicht (which means loosely translated watertight) D 20164 H". The D may mean "Dienstuhr" which means "Service Watch" and the H is Heer for Army, Service Watch Army. The watch has a clear glass and luminescent minute and hour hands. The watch has a second sub scale. The watch appears to work perfectly, but has not been serviced by us. The winder works as it should and alters the hour and minute hands as it should. The watch has a black leather strap. A very nice WW2 German Army service watch. The price includes UK delivery. Misc 855
£395.00

Scottish Military Sporran With Two Tassels and a Badge To The Camerons. Misc 852. - Misc 852
Sporran is the Gaelic word for purse, and it is a traditional part of Highland dress. The sporran is a bag worn on the front of a kilt to provide a pocket for carrying any number of objects, and it is revered in Scotland as much as the kilt itself. The design is meant for utility or decoration, depending on the occasion. This is a Scottish Sporran with two tassels and Cameron's badge to the front. The sporran is in very good condition. It is made of horse hair and has two matching horse hair tassels suspended from metal chains. The top is black leather and it has a metal cantle. Fixed to the black leather is a Camerons badge in gilt. On the reverse there are two brown leather belt loops and a flap covered pocket which is shaped. Under the flap there are two handwritten names "W.V. Hansen PTE Llewellyn 23959684". This is a nice example. The price includes UK delivery. Misc 852
£175.00

Squires Gin Advertising Ceramic Statue, Victorian Hunting Gentleman With Hound. Sn 13296 - 13296
This is a very nice Squires Gin advertising ceramic statue. It depicts a Victorian hunting gentleman carrying a shotgun with a hound sat down on his left side. It was used to advertise Squires Gin and would have stood on a bar. The statue is ceramic and is very colourful, with the gentleman having a green jacket and black top hat. Stood on a plinth with a hound. The colours are vivid and the ceramic is in very good, undamaged condition. There are no makers names on the statue, there is a black cross on the base. It stands 10" high. The price includes UK delivery. Sn 13296
£125.00

Limited Edition 46/1000 Lancashire County Fire Brigade Presentation Case of Constituent Brigades Cap Badges. Sn 13291 - 13291
A mint condition limited edition 46/1000 Lancashire County Fire Brigade presentation case of Constituent Brigades Cap Badges. The case is red with gold lettering and on the top it has an outline map of the Lancashire County area with the constituent brigade locations marked on it. To the left of this it has "Lancashire County Fire Brigade" below this the Fire Brigade emblem and below this "Constituent Brigades Cap Badges". Inside, the base has a red felt covered card with 8 x brigade badges fixed to it for display. The badges are Burnley, Lancashire Pre 1987, Blackpool Pre 1956, Preston, West Riding, Blackburn, Lancashire Post 1987 and Blackpool Post 1956. The cap badge order is repeated in the lid in gold lettering on cream silk. Also with the set is a laminated and sealed signed card authenticating the limited edition set number. This is a very nice presentation set and in mint condition. The price includes UK delivery. Sn 13291
£225.00
Previous 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Page 5 of 10