Items: 0 Price: £0    
view cart

Antique Pistols and Revolvers

Previous 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  Next Page 5 of 13

SOLD SOLD (06/10) QUALITY, C1860 W&J Rigby Dublin Ireland .500” Bore Percussion Overcoat Pistol With Captive Ram Rod. Sn 14091 - 14091
John Rigby & Company (or John Rigby & Co. (Gunmakers) Ltd) is the oldest gunmaking firm in continuous operation in the English-speaking world. Rigby has a distinguished history of technological advancement for both sporting and military application. Rigby rifles, guns and pistols have played prominent roles throughout the British Empire and particularly in Asia and Africa. The company was established by the first John Rigby in Dublin, Ireland in 1775. After the founding John Rigby's death, in 1818, his sons William and John Jason Rigby operated the business as W. & J. Rigby from circa 1820 to 1865, a period that spanned flintlock, percussion, pinfire and needlefire ignition and marked the start of the modern metallic cartridge era. Rigby was a leader in barrel-making and rifling technology and, at the time, it was also recognised for its high grade duelling pistols. This is a fine quality W&J Rigby Dublin percussion overcoat pistol, made around 1860. It is a sturdy pistol, 8 ½” overall length with a 4” heavy steel barrel. The smooth bore is clean with no pitting. The round steel barrel has a flat barrel rib crisply marked ‘Dublin’. The stock is made from Walnut and it has brass furniture. It has its original captive steel ram rod. The action is engraved 'W&J Rigby' and works perfectly. The price includes UK delivery. NB. As an antique percussion pistol no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as a part of a collection or display. Sn 14061
£0.00

AS FOUND UN-MESSED WITH, RARE, Victorian English C1860’s Patrick Of Liverpool .700” Bore Percussion Holster Pistol To The Liverpool River Police. Sn 14055 - 14055
The River Mersey has borne silent witness to much over the years, non more so than during the American Civil War, the North of England supported the Confederacy due to its reliance on the Cotton producing South. So in addittion to the normal lawlessness one would associate with a Seaport the size of Liverpool, there was the intrigue associated with the support of the Confederate States of America (The CSA Embassy was in Rumford Place, Liverpool 2) including the Smuggling of General goods and the illegal transportation of Gunpowder. At a meeting of the Liverpool Borough Police Watch Committee on the 12th January 1865, upon the recommendation of the Head Constable, the Mersey Docks and Harbour Company agreed to fund a River (Mersey) Police. The River Police was formed in June 1865, with the responsibility of patrolling the river itself. Its initial strength consisted of one Inspector, three Sergeants and thirteen Constables. The main duties of the New Force related to the movement of Cargo and Policing of general movement of Seamen, Cargo and Explosives. Volatile Explosives and ammunition would be removed by the River Police and would be taken to the Magazines at New Brighton. Although a part of the Borough Police, the officers of the River Police wore a separate distinctive Badge and collar dogs. These would be worn on a Naval style double breasted reefer coat. The main working uniform of men was normal uniform issue trousers and a thick Naval Pullover with the Police logo and in some instances the officers number thereon. The role of the River Police was a dangerous one as the duties entailed weaving in and out of the shipping lanes, boarding moving boats and the rescue of persons in distress. This is a rare .700” bore percussion holster pistol marked to the Liverpool River Police. It is 15 ½” overall with a 9" round steel barrel. The barrel has black powder proof marks and it has a clean smooth bore with no pitting. It has a heavy Dolphin hammer and brass furniture. The side plate is engraved by the manufacturer 'Patrick Warranted' (Jeremiah Patrick was an English Liverpool based Gunsmith between 1795-1814. The business was then taken on by Edward Patrick between 1814-1820 & finally by Ann Patrick into the mid 1800’s. The top of the barrel is crisply engraved ‘River Police Liverpool’ and one side of the brass butt cap is engraved ‘B/17’ (weapon number or Police designation). The pistol is as found and un-messed with. As is common with these pistols its ram rod is absent. The metal has no damage and even patina. The wood has just the knocks bumps and bruises to be expected with age and service use. The price for this nicely marked historic River Police pistol includes UK delivery. NB As an antique percussion pistol no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as a part of a collection or display. Sn 14055
£1,450.00

Victorian, English 1840-1850 John Cunningham, Manchester 20 Bore, Percussion Police Pistol With Silver Shield Escutcheon To No.5 Division, Cheshire Constabulary With Belt Bar & Octagonal Barrel. Sn 14054 - 14054
John Cunningham was an English Gunmaker with premises at 3 Broad Street Pendleton & Quay Steet, Manchester between 1840 & 1850. This is an original Victorian, Mid 1800's Victorian, Police percussion pistol by Cunningham. It is 12” overall length with a 6” browned octagonal barrel which is 15.66mm muzzle diameter (approx. 20 Bore). The smooth bore is clean with no pitting. The barrel has a small brass blade fore sight. The Walnut furniture is a nice deep brown with chequered grip and steel furniture. The wood is undamaged with just the bumps & bruises to be expected with age and service use. It has its original wood ram rod with threaded end and brass cap. The side plate is marked 'Cunningham Manchester'. The top of the wrist has a nice inlaid silver shield escutcheon crisply engraved '5 Divn Cheshire Constabulary'. The action functions perfectly. Price for this sought after Police percussion pistol includes UK delivery. NB As an antique percussion pistol no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a display or collection. Sn 14054
£1,450.00

QUALITY, C1840 English William Parker London Constabulary Pattern .577” Regulation Bore Percussion Uniform / Overcoat Pistol With Octagonal Barrel To Holborn Police Office Lambeth (London). Sn 14061 - 14061
The gunsmith William Parker (1722-1841) is recorded as having premises at various premises in London between1793 & 1841 including 233 High Holborn, Chamber Street and Glass House yard. His Sons continued the business after his death in 1841 and the company later became the prestigious Parker Field, makers of quality firearms and edged weapons, many of which were supplied to the British Military & Police (see page 190 of Browns book ‘British Gunmakers Volume 1’ ). This is a fine quality William Parker of London Percussion Overcoat Pistol. Made around 1840, this is the type of pistol made by Parker and later Parker Field, that was routinely carried by Victorian Police Officers in London. It is a sturdy, heavy 4 1/2" octagonal barrelled pistol with smooth bore. It measures 8 ½” overall length. The bore is excellent, clean with no pitting. The top barrel flat is crisply marked ‘Holborn Police Office Lambeth’ (London). The stock is made from rich English Walnut with brass furniture. It has its original wood ram rod with horn end cap. The lock is engraved 'W.Parker' and the action with heavy Dolphin hammer and foliate engraved decoration works perfectly. The action has a safety bolt which operates at half cock. This is an excellent Victorian English Police pistol to a named Police Office by a quality maker. The price includes UK delivery. NB. As an antique percussion pistol no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as a part of a collection or display. Sn 14061
£1,450.00

Victorian, 1844 English Enfield Tower Short Sea Service Customs/ Revenue .550 Bore Percussion Pistol Weapon Number 12 Converted from Flintlock With Captive Ram Rod & Belt Bar. Sn 14060 - 14060
This is an excellent original Victorian, Short Sea Service Customs / Revenue percussion pistol by Enfield. It is 12” overall length with a 6 inch barrel which is .550" smooth bore. The bore is clean with no pitting. The Walnut stock is a nice deep brown with brass furniture & is undamaged with just the bumps & bruises to be expected. It has its original captive ram rod & the barrel has crisp ordnance / proof marks. The brass butt plate is fitted with lanyard ring and The butt plate tang is engraved with armoury weapon number '12'. The stock fitted with belt bar. The side plate is marked ‘Tower’ (Enfield) with Crown VR (Victoria Regina) and dated ‘1844’. The action functions perfectly. As an antique percussion pistol no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a display or collection. Price includes UK delivery. Sn 14060
£1,175.00

1851-1852 English Witton Daw & Co London .650” Carbine Calibre Percussion Holster Pistol With Rifled Octagonal Barrel & Captive Ramrod. Sn 14042 - 14042
The English Gunsmiths Witton Daw & Co are recorded as having premises at 57 Threadneedle Street, London between 1851 & 1852 (see page 216 of British Gunmakers Vol.1 by Brown). This is an excellent percussion pistol by Witton Daw & Co. It is 14 ¾” overall with an 8 ¼” octagonal barrel. The top barrel flat is lightly signed ‘Witton Daw & Co Threadneedle St London’. The barrel’s bore has staining consistent with age and crisp well defined rifling. It’s steel side plate, Dolphin hammer, trigger guard with extended tang and acanthus bud finial & stepped butt plate with hinged trap have light foliate engraved decoration. The side plate is signed ‘Witton Daw & Co’. It has a blade fore sight and ‘v’ notch plate rear sight. It has a lovely walnut stock with chequered grip and inlaid German Silver escutcheon at the wrist. The pistol has its original captive steel ramrod. Its cocking and firing actions work as they should. The metal and wood of the pistol have no damage. The price includes UK delivery. NB As an antique percussion pistol no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as a part of a collection or display. Sn 14042
£1,200.00

1829-1857 English William Egan Bradford Yorkshire Steel Frame 17 Bore Belt Pistol With Octagonal Barrel & Captive Ramrod. Sn 14041 - 14041
The English Gunsmith William Egan is recorded as having premises at Hustler Gate, Bradford, Yorkshire between 1829 & 1857 (see page 214 of British Gunmakers Vol.2 by Brown). This is an excellent steel framed percussion belt pistol by Egan. It is 10 ½” overall length with a 5 ¾” octagonal brown wash steel barrel which has black powder proofs. The barrel’s smoothbore has just light staining consistent with age. It measures 16.45mm muzzle diameter which is approx. 17 bore. The top of the barrel is crisply signed ‘Egan Bradford’. The action, Dolphin hammer, trigger guard and pommel cap with hinged trap have fine foliate engraved decoration. It has a brass bead fore sight, ‘v’ notch plate rear sight and captive steel ram rod. The action works as it should with a strong spring action. The Walnut grip with fine chequering is excellent & undamaged. The back of the grip is inlaid with void German Silver escutcheon. The price includes UK delivery. NB As an antique percussion pistol no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as a part of a collection or display. Sn 14041
£895.00

MATCHING NUMBERS, Original, American Civil War Era, 1851-1869 Cooper Firearms Manufacturing Co Frankford Philadelphia .36" Calibre, 5 Shot, Cap & Ball Double Action Percussion Revolver With Octagonal Barrel. Sn 13995 - 13995
The Cooper Firearms Manufacturing Co of Philadelphia, manufactured pistols From 1851 To 1869. When Colt's Patents for revolving firearms expired in 1857 Cooper Firearms Co began Manufacturing Colt Patent expired weapons. Many of their weapons were used during the American Civil War. This is an excellent, original 5” octagonal barrel version of their .36" Calibre, 5 shot percussion revolver with captive lever ram rod. The metal work has even patina throughout. Its cylinder is stamped with number '2665'. The pistol's brass grip frame is stamped with matching serial number. The top of the barrel is marked by the manufacturer ' Cooper Firearms Manufacturing Co, Frankford, Phila PA. PAT JAN 7, 1851-APRIL 25, 1854-SEPT 4, 1860-SEPT 1, 1862-SEPT 22, 1863'. It has an undamaged Walnut grip. The pistol's loading and firing actions work as they should in both single and double action. Price includes UK delivery. NB. As an antique percussion revolver no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 13995.
£1,275.00

ORIGINAL, All MATCHING NUMBERS, 1868-1869 Colt Pocket Model of 1849 .31 Calibre, Cap And Ball, 6 Shot, Single Action, Revolver With Octagonal Barrel & Notches Carved Into Grip. Sn 13994 - 13994
The family of Colt Pocket Percussion Revolvers evolved from the iconic 1860 Army and 1851 Navy Revolvers and were produced between 1849 and 1872. This original U.S. Colt .31 Calibre Cap and Ball, 6 shot Pocket Model of 1849 Revolver is in excellent condition with even patina throughout and original blue finish. It has a brass trigger guard and grip frame. The pistol has the correct brass pin fore sight and notched hammer rear sight. It has undamaged American Walnut grip. The left side of the grip has a row of 7 contemporarily carved notches (It was common practice in the Western era for the owners of weapons to carve notches into woodwork of their firearms whenever they were fired in combat, used in a dual or hunting and successfully struck their target). The left side of its frame is stamped 'Colts Patent'. The top of the 4 " octagonal barrel is correctly marked ' Address Col Saml Colt New York US America'. It has matching serial numbers '300902 / 09022' stamped on its cylinder, frame, barrel, trigger guard and butt which dates its manufacture to between 1868 & 1869. The cylinder has the correct engraved ‘Stage Coach hold Up Scene’ and marked 'Colts Patent'. The weapon's single action firing mechanism and captive steel ‘lever’ ram rod work as they should. Price includes UK delivery. NB As an antique cap and ball revolver, no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 13994
£1,275.00

RARE, Large,1865-1868 American Civil War Era, Connecticut Arms & Manufacturing Co, Hammond's 1864 Patent, .41 Rim Fire Calibre 'Swing Breech' Bulldog Derringer Pistol. Sn 13998 - 13998
The Connecticut Arms & Manufacturing Co. was one of many firms formed during the American Civil War. Founded in 1863 by brothers Henry B. and Lewis Hammond, the company was located at Naubuc, a town located about ten miles southeast of Hartford. This is an excellent .41 Rim Fire calibre single shot 'swing breech' loading Hammond's 1864 patent Bulldog pistol. Introduced in 1865, approximately 7,400 of these single shot pistols were manufactured before production ceased in 1868. Loading was accomplished by depression of a steel button on top of the breech when the pistol is at half cock and pivoting the breech block to the left. One of the largest Derringers, It has a 4" octagonal barrel which is stamped ' Connecticutt Arms & Manf'g Co Naubuc Conn'. The rim of the swing out chamber is marked 'Patented Oct 25 1864' in small lettering. The barrel’s bore has staining consistent with age & crisp rifling. The pistol’s original chequered brown 'gutta percha' grips are excellent and undamaged. The pistols loading and firing actions work perfectly. Price for this rare Civil War era pistol includes UK delivery. NB As an obsolete calibre antique pistol, no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 13998
£975.00
Previous 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  Next Page 5 of 13