Items: 0 Price: £0    
view cart

Antique Guns and Equipment

Previous 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  Next Page 10 of 26

C1850 Victorian British Officer's Private Purchase Percussion Rifled 13 Bore Fusil Musket Saddle Carbine. Sn 14111 - 14111
This is a very good British Officer's Private Purchase Percussion Fusil saddle carbine made C1850. It has 20” long round steel barrel and measures 35 ½” overall. The bore has just light staining consistent with age and crisp rifling. Its walnut full stock has just minor bumps and bruises and is all original with no damage. It has brass fittings including forend block, butt plate, ramrod mounts and trigger guard with extended tang. The action has a plain steel side plate and heavy military hammer. The top of the barrel is stamped with proof marks. The stock has also has a brass plate engraved ‘Bore 13’. The weapon has its original steel ramrod. It has a block and blade fore sight and 2 leaf rear sight. It has a strong cocking and firing action. There are no visible manufacturer or retailer marks on this piece. Price includes UK delivery. NB As an antique percussion weapon no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 14111
£895.00

SOLD SOLD (LAY-AWAY 18/9 ) MASSIVE, 19th Century North African / Arabic 22 Bore Miquelet Lock Musket With Hand Tooled Decoration. Sn 14113 - 14113
Miquelet lock is a modern term used by collectors and curators, largely in the English-speaking world, for a type of firing mechanism used in muskets and pistols. It is a distinctive form of snaplock, originally as a flint-against-steel ignition form, once prevalent in Spain, Portugal, Italy, the Balkans, North Africa, the Ottoman Empire and throughout Spain's colonies from the late 16th to the mid 19th centuries. The miquelet may have come to the attention of arms makers in Istanbul & North Africa via long-established trade routes from Italian city-states through the port of Ragusa (Dubrovnik) to provinces on the Balkan Peninsula. Other avenues were probably provided by booty from corsair raids and/or from the many Ottoman-Euro conflicts of the period. The muzzle loading weapons were generally handmade weapons, and consequently they widely varied in their construction. They were seen as very personal weapons, and unlike the typical military weapons of the time which were very plain and utilitarian, the weapons tended to be well crafted and were usually intricately decorated. They usually had very long barrels. The stocks were handmade and ornately decorated, featuring a distinctive curve which is not seen in the stocks of other muskets. The function of this curve is debated; it may be purely decorative, or it may have allowed the weapon to be tucked under the arm and cradled tightly against the body, as opposed to being held to the shoulder like a typical musket or rifle. This is a 19th century miquelet lock musket in the form found in North Africa / Algeria. It measures a massive 5’ 3” overall length. It has round steel barrel with bell mouth which is .594” muzzle diameter (approx. 22 Bore). It has hand tooled brass barrel bands. The hammer is fitted with flint and the weapon has its original steel ram rod. Its original wood stock has hand tooled decoration and typical curved butt. The wood and metal have the wear and patina to be expected of a native North African / Arabic weapon of its age. As is common with these weapons, it does not cock and dry fire although its hammer moves under spring tension and its trigger moves. Price includes UK delivery. NB As an antique miquelet musket no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 14113
£0.00

SOLD SOLD (06/10) QUALITY, C1860 W&J Rigby Dublin Ireland .500” Bore Percussion Overcoat Pistol With Captive Ram Rod. Sn 14091 - 14091
John Rigby & Company (or John Rigby & Co. (Gunmakers) Ltd) is the oldest gunmaking firm in continuous operation in the English-speaking world. Rigby has a distinguished history of technological advancement for both sporting and military application. Rigby rifles, guns and pistols have played prominent roles throughout the British Empire and particularly in Asia and Africa. The company was established by the first John Rigby in Dublin, Ireland in 1775. After the founding John Rigby's death, in 1818, his sons William and John Jason Rigby operated the business as W. & J. Rigby from circa 1820 to 1865, a period that spanned flintlock, percussion, pinfire and needlefire ignition and marked the start of the modern metallic cartridge era. Rigby was a leader in barrel-making and rifling technology and, at the time, it was also recognised for its high grade duelling pistols. This is a fine quality W&J Rigby Dublin percussion overcoat pistol, made around 1860. It is a sturdy pistol, 8 ½” overall length with a 4” heavy steel barrel. The smooth bore is clean with no pitting. The round steel barrel has a flat barrel rib crisply marked ‘Dublin’. The stock is made from Walnut and it has brass furniture. It has its original captive steel ram rod. The action is engraved 'W&J Rigby' and works perfectly. The price includes UK delivery. NB. As an antique percussion pistol no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as a part of a collection or display. Sn 14061
£0.00

AS FOUND UN-MESSED WITH, RARE, Victorian English C1860’s Patrick Of Liverpool .700” Bore Percussion Holster Pistol To The Liverpool River Police. Sn 14055 - 14055
The River Mersey has borne silent witness to much over the years, non more so than during the American Civil War, the North of England supported the Confederacy due to its reliance on the Cotton producing South. So in addittion to the normal lawlessness one would associate with a Seaport the size of Liverpool, there was the intrigue associated with the support of the Confederate States of America (The CSA Embassy was in Rumford Place, Liverpool 2) including the Smuggling of General goods and the illegal transportation of Gunpowder. At a meeting of the Liverpool Borough Police Watch Committee on the 12th January 1865, upon the recommendation of the Head Constable, the Mersey Docks and Harbour Company agreed to fund a River (Mersey) Police. The River Police was formed in June 1865, with the responsibility of patrolling the river itself. Its initial strength consisted of one Inspector, three Sergeants and thirteen Constables. The main duties of the New Force related to the movement of Cargo and Policing of general movement of Seamen, Cargo and Explosives. Volatile Explosives and ammunition would be removed by the River Police and would be taken to the Magazines at New Brighton. Although a part of the Borough Police, the officers of the River Police wore a separate distinctive Badge and collar dogs. These would be worn on a Naval style double breasted reefer coat. The main working uniform of men was normal uniform issue trousers and a thick Naval Pullover with the Police logo and in some instances the officers number thereon. The role of the River Police was a dangerous one as the duties entailed weaving in and out of the shipping lanes, boarding moving boats and the rescue of persons in distress. This is a rare .700” bore percussion holster pistol marked to the Liverpool River Police. It is 15 ½” overall with a 9" round steel barrel. The barrel has black powder proof marks and it has a clean smooth bore with no pitting. It has a heavy Dolphin hammer and brass furniture. The side plate is engraved by the manufacturer 'Patrick Warranted' (Jeremiah Patrick was an English Liverpool based Gunsmith between 1795-1814. The business was then taken on by Edward Patrick between 1814-1820 & finally by Ann Patrick into the mid 1800’s. The top of the barrel is crisply engraved ‘River Police Liverpool’ and one side of the brass butt cap is engraved ‘B/17’ (weapon number or Police designation). The pistol is as found and un-messed with. As is common with these pistols its ram rod is absent. The metal has no damage and even patina. The wood has just the knocks bumps and bruises to be expected with age and service use. The price for this nicely marked historic River Police pistol includes UK delivery. NB As an antique percussion pistol no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as a part of a collection or display. Sn 14055
£1,450.00

Victorian, English 1840-1850 John Cunningham, Manchester 20 Bore, Percussion Police Pistol With Silver Shield Escutcheon To No.5 Division, Cheshire Constabulary With Belt Bar & Octagonal Barrel. Sn 14054 - 14054
John Cunningham was an English Gunmaker with premises at 3 Broad Street Pendleton & Quay Steet, Manchester between 1840 & 1850. This is an original Victorian, Mid 1800's Victorian, Police percussion pistol by Cunningham. It is 12” overall length with a 6” browned octagonal barrel which is 15.66mm muzzle diameter (approx. 20 Bore). The smooth bore is clean with no pitting. The barrel has a small brass blade fore sight. The Walnut furniture is a nice deep brown with chequered grip and steel furniture. The wood is undamaged with just the bumps & bruises to be expected with age and service use. It has its original wood ram rod with threaded end and brass cap. The side plate is marked 'Cunningham Manchester'. The top of the wrist has a nice inlaid silver shield escutcheon crisply engraved '5 Divn Cheshire Constabulary'. The action functions perfectly. Price for this sought after Police percussion pistol includes UK delivery. NB As an antique percussion pistol no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a display or collection. Sn 14054
£1,450.00

QUALITY, C1840 English William Parker London Constabulary Pattern .577” Regulation Bore Percussion Uniform / Overcoat Pistol With Octagonal Barrel To Holborn Police Office Lambeth (London). Sn 14061 - 14061
The gunsmith William Parker (1722-1841) is recorded as having premises at various premises in London between1793 & 1841 including 233 High Holborn, Chamber Street and Glass House yard. His Sons continued the business after his death in 1841 and the company later became the prestigious Parker Field, makers of quality firearms and edged weapons, many of which were supplied to the British Military & Police (see page 190 of Browns book ‘British Gunmakers Volume 1’ ). This is a fine quality William Parker of London Percussion Overcoat Pistol. Made around 1840, this is the type of pistol made by Parker and later Parker Field, that was routinely carried by Victorian Police Officers in London. It is a sturdy, heavy 4 1/2" octagonal barrelled pistol with smooth bore. It measures 8 ½” overall length. The bore is excellent, clean with no pitting. The top barrel flat is crisply marked ‘Holborn Police Office Lambeth’ (London). The stock is made from rich English Walnut with brass furniture. It has its original wood ram rod with horn end cap. The lock is engraved 'W.Parker' and the action with heavy Dolphin hammer and foliate engraved decoration works perfectly. The action has a safety bolt which operates at half cock. This is an excellent Victorian English Police pistol to a named Police Office by a quality maker. The price includes UK delivery. NB. As an antique percussion pistol no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as a part of a collection or display. Sn 14061
£1,450.00

Victorian, 1844 English Enfield Tower Short Sea Service Customs/ Revenue .550 Bore Percussion Pistol Weapon Number 12 Converted from Flintlock With Captive Ram Rod & Belt Bar. Sn 14060 - 14060
This is an excellent original Victorian, Short Sea Service Customs / Revenue percussion pistol by Enfield. It is 12” overall length with a 6 inch barrel which is .550" smooth bore. The bore is clean with no pitting. The Walnut stock is a nice deep brown with brass furniture & is undamaged with just the bumps & bruises to be expected. It has its original captive ram rod & the barrel has crisp ordnance / proof marks. The brass butt plate is fitted with lanyard ring and The butt plate tang is engraved with armoury weapon number '12'. The stock fitted with belt bar. The side plate is marked ‘Tower’ (Enfield) with Crown VR (Victoria Regina) and dated ‘1844’. The action functions perfectly. As an antique percussion pistol no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a display or collection. Price includes UK delivery. Sn 14060
£1,175.00

SOLD SOLD (4/10) C1900 Martini Action .297/230 Obsolete Calibre Cadet Rifle. Sn 14020 - 14020
This is a very good Martini Action .297/230 obsolete calibre Cadet Rifle. These Rifles were used as military training rifles. It is complete with sling swivels, blade foresight & adjustable ladder rear sight. The 27 ½” steel barrel's bore is clean with sharp and well defined rifling and it has a crisp martini action. It measures 43” overall length. It has all original wood furniture and metal work & has a steel butt plate. The left side plate has a small ‘Crown below AF’ inspection mark and number ‘36918’. The metal and wood have no external manufacturer marks. As an antique, obsolete calibre weapon, no Licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Price includes UK delivery. Sn 14020
£0.00

Victorian Enfield MK II .577x .45 Martini Henry, Short Lever Officer's Private Purchase Rifle Retailed By Joseph Bourne & Son, Birmingham. Sn 14070 - 14070
Victorian British Officers & Militia Units regularly purchased their own Martini Henry Rifles. These Rifles were manufactured by Enfield to the same specification as their Military counterparts and sold into the retail market for private purchase. This is a very good, original, Victorian private purchase, MK II .577x .45 Martini Henry, short lever Rifle. It has its original, sling swivels, cleaning rod, block and blade fore sight, flip up rear sight and has all original woodwork throughout. The steel barrel's bore is clean with sharp and well defined rifling. The action works as it should. The top of the barrel is marked by the Victorian Retailer ‘Joseph Bourne & Son, Birmingham’ (illustrated). As an antique, obsolete calibre weapon, no Licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Price includes UK delivery. Sn 14070
£1,200.00

1851-1852 English Witton Daw & Co London .650” Carbine Calibre Percussion Holster Pistol With Rifled Octagonal Barrel & Captive Ramrod. Sn 14042 - 14042
The English Gunsmiths Witton Daw & Co are recorded as having premises at 57 Threadneedle Street, London between 1851 & 1852 (see page 216 of British Gunmakers Vol.1 by Brown). This is an excellent percussion pistol by Witton Daw & Co. It is 14 ¾” overall with an 8 ¼” octagonal barrel. The top barrel flat is lightly signed ‘Witton Daw & Co Threadneedle St London’. The barrel’s bore has staining consistent with age and crisp well defined rifling. It’s steel side plate, Dolphin hammer, trigger guard with extended tang and acanthus bud finial & stepped butt plate with hinged trap have light foliate engraved decoration. The side plate is signed ‘Witton Daw & Co’. It has a blade fore sight and ‘v’ notch plate rear sight. It has a lovely walnut stock with chequered grip and inlaid German Silver escutcheon at the wrist. The pistol has its original captive steel ramrod. Its cocking and firing actions work as they should. The metal and wood of the pistol have no damage. The price includes UK delivery. NB As an antique percussion pistol no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as a part of a collection or display. Sn 14042
£1,200.00
Previous 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  Next Page 10 of 26