Items: 0 Price: £0    
view cart

Antique Guns and Equipment

Previous 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  Next Page 4 of 35

SOLD SOLD (21/01) 1860’s English Isaac Hollis & Sons London .450 Obsolete Calibre Breech Loading Monkey Tail Big Game Rifle, Octagonal Barrel With 7 Leaf Cape Graduated Rear Sights, Graduated Horn / Tusk Measure & Multi Groove Rifling. Sn 15980:5 - 15980:5
Isaac Hollis & Sons were quality English, Birmingham & London based Gunmakers recorded in 1861 as having premises at Weaman Row & 49 Whittall Street (previously Hollis & Sheath 1849-1861). Between 1870 & 1911 Hollis & Sons are also recorded as having ‘London Offices’ (see page 251 of British Gunmakers Vol.2 by Brown). British Military Trials on Breech Loading rifles began in the mid 1800's. Their breech consisted of a plunger attached to a long handle which, when the breech was closed, lay along the top of the stock neck and was raised to open it, thus earning the nickname of the monkey-tail from its distinctive silhouette. This is an excellent breech loading 'Monkey Tail' rifle by Isaac Hollis & Sons. It has a beautiful Walnut stock with chequered pistol grip which has a foliate engraved steel butt cap. The stock is fitted with steel patch box with hinged lid. The lid has a crisp hunting scene. The 26 ½” brown wash octagonal barrel’s bore has staining consistent with age and crisp deep cut multi groove rifling. The rifle measures 44” overall. The action has foliate scrollwork decoration. The top of the barrel is signed ‘I. Hollis & Sons London’. It has a block & blade fore sight & graduated 200-800 yards, 7 leaf Cape rear sights with silver aiming lines and fixed ‘v’ notch plate sight .The top barrel flat also has graduated lines in inches 1” to 12” for measuring horns or tusks from trophy animals. The underside of the stock has a void German Silver escutcheon. The rifle has its original ramrod with brass end caps, heavy hammer & sling swivel lugs. It has a steel butt plate with extended tang, trigger guard with extended winged tang, acanthus bud finial and polished horn fore stock block. The weapon's loading and firing actions work perfectly. The price for this quality Victorian rifle includes UK delivery. NB As an antique obsolete calibre weapon no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 15980:5
£0.00

SOLD SOLD (18/01) 1842- 1873 English Pryse & Redman London .500 Black Powder Nitro Express Muzzle Loading Big Game Rifle, Octagonal Barrel With 4 Leaf Graduated Rear Sights, Graduated Horn / Tusk Measure & Multi Groove Rifling. - A 999
The Pryse firm was founded in Birmingham in 1838 by Charles Pryse (the Elder) and was especially active during the second half of the 19th Century. The firm made quality rifles and handguns under its own name and also in conjunction with Richard Redman as Pryse & Redman. It initially was known as Charles Pryse, Gun & Rifle Maker, changing to Charles Pryse & Co. in 1840. In 1842 Pryse the Elder paired up with Richard Redman, and the company name was changed to Pryse & Redman until 1873, when Charles (the Younger) took over and changed the name back to Charles Pryse & Co. (Pryse the Elder also served on the first Board of Directors of BSA and was well known in the Birmingham & London trades). The younger Pryse continued the business through 1888. This is a best quality Big Game rifle by Pryse & Redman London. It has a beautiful Walnut stock with chequered wrist. The stock is fitted with steel patch box with hinged lid. The 32 ½” brown wash octagonal barrel’s bore has staining consistent with age and crisp deep cut multi groove rifling. The rifle measures 49” overall. The action has foliate scrollwork decoration and is crisply signed ‘Pryse & Redman’. The top of the barrel is also signed ‘Pryse & Redman 230 Piccadilly London’ together with ‘66’ within a diamond cartouche. It has a blade fore sight & graduated 4 leaf rear sights with silver aiming lines and fixed ‘v’ notch plate sight .The top barrel flat also has graduated lines in inches 1” to 20” for measuring horns or tusks from trophy animals. The underside of the stock has a void Silver escutcheon. The rifle has its original ramrod with brass end caps, heavy Dolphin hammer & sling swivel lugs. It has a steel butt plate with extended tang, trigger guard with extended winged tang, acanthus bud finial and polished horn fore stock block. The weapon's loading and firing actions work perfectly. The price for this quality Victorian rifle includes UK delivery. NB As an antique percussion weapon no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. S
£0.00

VERY RARE, British Pattern 1800 .650 Calibre Baker Flintlock Rifle By J. Richards To The Irish Walworth Yeomanry With Ancient Guild Of Fishmongers Heraldic Device & 1843-1846 Irish L-Y (Londonderry) Registration Marks. Sn 15973 - 15973
Not much is known about the Walworth Yeomanry except that it was a unit of 18 to 20 men from Londonderry. Walworth is just outside Limavady in Ballykelly and used to belong to the ancient guild of the Fishmongers (the most famous City fishmonger is Sir William Walworth, who, as Lord Mayor of London in 1381, helped bring the Peasants' Revolt to an end by stabbing the rebel Wat Tyler to death at Smithfield in the presence of King Richard II). The Irish Registration Act was passed in 1843 and lasted only a short while, until August 1846. All firearms owned in Ireland during that period had to be Registered and marked with the relevant County code. The Baker rifle (officially known as the Pattern 1800 Infantry Rifle) was a flintlock rifle used by the Rifle Regiments of the British Army during the Napoleonic Wars. It was the first standard-issue, British-made rifle accepted by the British armed forces. The Baker Rifle was first produced in 1800 by Ezekiel Baker, a master gunsmith from Whitechapel. The famous 95th Rifles, Light Infantry Regiments adopted these accurate rifles (the hit Napoleonic War, Book & TV series Sharpe's Rifles featured this pattern of rifle). The British Army was still issuing the Infantry Rifle in the 1830s. This is a superb, very rare, original, Baker rifle By J. Richards (There were many gun smiths named J. Richards working in both London & the provinces in the period). It has all original wood work and metal work all in excellent condition with correct brass mounts, bayonet bar, flip up 2 leaf rear sight, brass blade fore sight, original correct steel ram rod and sling swivels. The rifle measures 44 ½” overall with a 29 ½” brown wash steel barrel. The bore has just light staining and crisp well defined rifling. The barrel has Londonderry registration mark ‘ L-Y 2857’ and the heraldic arms of the ‘Ancient Guild Of Fishmongers’. The lock plate is signed ‘J. Richards’. The hammer is fitted with flint. It has a brass butt plate, trigger guard with extended tang, fore end barrel block & hinged patch box. The stock has an oval brass disc inlaid on top of the wrist engraved ‘Walworth Yeomanry’ and the butt plate tang has matching Londonderry registration mark. The rifle cocks and dry fires perfectly. This rifle is a must for any serious collector & price includes UK delivery. NB As an antique flintlock rifle no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 15973
£6,950.00

SOLD SOLD (16/01) Bore Black Powder Muzzle Loading Signalling Cannon With Later Wheeled Carriage Made From Wood Recovered From The Wreck Of The Royal Navy Cadet School Ship HMS Conway Together With Contemporary Photograph Of The Ship. Sn 15979 - 15979
HMS Conway was a naval training school or "school ship", founded in 1839 and housed for most of her life aboard a 19th-century wooden ship of the line. The ship was originally stationed on the Mersey near Liverpool, then moved to the Menai Strait during World War II. While being towed back to Birkenhead for a refit in 1953, she ran aground and was wrecked, and later burned. The school moved to purpose-built premises on Anglesey where it continued for another twenty years. Famous alumni of the school include : Captain Matthew Webb (at Conway 1860–1862), the first man to swim the English Channel from England to France. Lionel "Buster" Crabb (1922–1924), the Royal Navy frogman who disappeared in mysterious circumstances while on a diving mission near a Soviet warship in 1956 & Ian Fraser (1936–38), awarded the Victoria Cross for commanding a midget submarine attack on the Japanese cruiser Takao in Singapore harbour. This is a Victorian 8 Bore black powder muzzle loading signalling cannon. The cannon barrel is 17” overall length. The barrel has trunnions & pivots for adjustable firing position. The touch hole is open and the smooth bore has staining & residue consistent with age and use. The later carriage with stepped side elevations was made from wood recovered from the wreck of HMS Conway. The front elevation of the carriage has an embossed brass plate with wording ‘From The Wreck Of HMS Conway 1839-1953’. The carriage has solid steel wheels and axles & brass trunnion plates secured by screws. The cannon & carriage are in very good condition. The cannon is accompanied by a glazed framed contemporary black & white photograph of HMS Conway. The rear of the frame has its original paper trade label ‘ Hugo Lang & Co 19 Whitechapel Liverpool Ref B3926. The rear of the frame is mounted with cord for wall hanging. The frame measures 8”x7”x ½”. The price includes UK delivery. N.B. As an antique muzzle loading black powder cannon no licence is required to own this item if retained as a part of a collection or display. Sn 15979
£0.00

SOLD SOLD (07/02) C1860 English Pryse & Cashmore Patent, 54 Bore 5 Shot ‘Daw’ (George H. Daw, 57 Threadneedle St, London) Cap & Ball Pe - A 609
On 6 September 1855 Charles Pryse and Paul Cashmore registered a patent for a large frame double action percussion revolver with captive ramrod & half cock. Their design appealed to George Daw of 57 Threadneedle Street, London, he stocked and promoted it and it became known as the "Daw" revolver (George Henry Daw was an English Gunmaker recorded as having premises at 57 Threadneedle Street London C1860 -1879). One of these revolvers was reputedly presented to The Italian General Garibaldi (Giuseppe Garibaldi 4th July 1807 – 2 June 1882) was an Italian General and nationalist. A republican, he contributed to the Italian unification and the creation of the Kingdom of Italy. He is considered one of the greatest generals of modern times). This is an excellent, original example of the scarce ‘Daw’ revolver. The pistol has Victorian proof and inspection marks on the cylinder and barrel. The frame and cylinder also have Patent No ‘1116’. The weapon's captive loading arm & double action firing mechanism works perfectly in both single & double action and has the correct half cock action. It has a 6 ¼” round steel barrel with wide, flat, top rib which has a small bass bead fore sight and ‘v’ notch block rear sight. The barrel flat is also crisply signed ‘George H Daw 57 Threadneedle Street, London Patent No 1116’. The pistol measures 13” overall length. The barrel’s bore is clean with crisp rifling. Its finely chequered walnut grip is undamaged. The pistol's metal work has even patina and it has the correct unusual 'clam shell' shaped hammer. The price for this rare revolver includes UK delivery. NB As an antique percussion revolver no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. A 609
£0.00

1815 Dated, East India Company (EIC) .700 Calibre Flintlock Musket With Ram Rod. A 608 - A 608
This is an original EIC flintlock musket. It is 42” overall length with a 26” long round steel barrel with block foresight. Its smooth bore has staining & residue consistent with age and use. It’s lock plate crisply engraved with the EIC rampant Lion mark alongside number ‘2’ & dated ‘1815’. The Swan neck hammer is fitted with a flint. It has all original walnut stock with original iron ramrod. The stock has a chequered pistol grip with undamaged polished horn butt cap and steel butt plate. The metal work has even patina throughout and it cocks and dry fires perfectly. The price for includes UK delivery. N.B As an antique flintlock musket no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. A 608
£875.00

ORIGINAL AMERICAN CIVIL WAR ERA, Rare Savage Revolving Firearms First Model, 6 Shot, .36 Calibre Double Action Revolver. Sn 15669 - 15569
This is a rare original American Civil War Savage U.S. Navy First Model Savage 6 shot double action revolver. The revolver manufactured by the Savage Revolving Fire-Arms Co. of Middletown, Connecticut from 1861-1865, the total production being approximately 22,000 guns. This revolver features a unique heart shaped trigger guard with round cocking lever, off-set hammer, six-shot cylinder, 7” octagon rifled barrel and hinged loading lever. The Savage Navy had a unique way of cocking and firing the gun. The gun is cocked by using your middle finger to draw back the figure 8 lever to cock the hammer and rotate the cylinder. The figure of 8 lever is then released forward and the separate trigger is pulled to fire the gun. The Savage Navy revolvers were used by both Union & Confederate Officers during the Civil War. The 7 inch rifled barrel has sharp rifling and is fitted with a brass foresight bead. The action is crisp and the gun cocks and dry fires correctly. At some stage during its life this pistol has been professionally restored to a very high standard. As a consequence of that there are no visible maker's marks on the frame. NB As an antique percussion pistol no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 15669
£1,675.00

UNIQUE, MINT DEEP CUT MULTI GROOVE RIFLED BORE, Transitional C1840’s Victorian William Golden & John Hanson, Huddersfield Patent .600 Calibre Bolt Action Breech Loading, Needle Fire Rifle With Screw Off Octagonal Damascus Steel Barrel & Clearing Rod. A 60 - A 607
William Golden was born in 1801 in Sherborne, Dorset. He had four sons and three daughters, the sons were Charles (b.1826 who probably worked only briefly for his father before establishing his own business in Bradford), Edward (b.1835), Henry Booth (b.1838 who worked for his father), and Joseph (b.1839 who also worked for his father). William established his business as an ironmonger in 1833 at 2 & 3 Cross Church Street, Huddersfield (the shops were on opposite sides of the street). It is not known when he became a gunsmith but on 2 November 1841 together with John Hanson he patented breech-loading firearms and self-contained ammunition (patent No. 2129) including a cartridge that contained in a recess in its base a charge of fulminating powder which served to shoot out the projectile. The discharge was effected by a needle striking against the base of the projectile, and was intended for use in a breech loading arm. We have no further information regarding John Hanson. In 1851 William was an exhibitor at the Great Exhibition. It is not known which of his Firearms were exhibited but it would not be surprising to learn that a transitional firearm similar or the same as our example had been exhibited. In the 1871 census at the age of 70 William Golden gave his occupation as gunsmith and ironmonger. William died in 1873 and the family business ran by his sons continued trading until 1914. We have never encountered a firearm patented by Golden & Hanson nor a transitional breech loading needle fire rifle in the same form as ours. This Golden & Hanson Patent rifle is in excellent condition. The rifle has a 25 ½” screw off octagonal Damascus steel barrel and is 47 ¼” overall length. It has a superb, clean bore with crisp, deep cut, multi groove rifling. The barrel has English black powder proofs. It has a large trigger guard, blade fore sight and ‘v’ notch plate rear sight. The action has tooled foliate decoration. The top of the breech is signed ‘Golden & Hanson, Huddersfield Patent’. The underside of the breech is numbered ‘23’. Its original Walnut shoulder stock with chequered panel wrist has a steel butt plate with foliate engraved extended tang. The breech is a transitional early bolt action needle fire form and no doubt would have fired Golden & Hansons patent needle fire cartridge (we have not found an example of this cartridge) . Its loading and firing actions work as they should. The rifle has its original ebony rod with brass end caps. The price for this very rare transitional rifle worthy of further research includes UK delivery. NB as an antique black powder rifle no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. A 607
£2,250.00

QUALITY, C1790 English, Bass Of London (John Twigg Connections), 54 Bore Flintlock Pocket Pistol With Screw Off Barrel. Sn 15964:20 - 15964:20
John Bass was a London based gunsmith. He worked between 1761 & 1794 at his workshop located at 19 Green Park Row, Piccadilly, London and was in partnership for a while with the renowned English Gunsmith John Twigg (Bass partnered with his father-in-law John Twigg, himself considered one of the most talented gun makers of the era, to form Twigg & Bass in the 1780s and continued to work under his own name after Twigg's death circa 1790). John Bass is known to have produced high end flintlock pistols including pocket, coach, and duelling pistols. This is a quality made flintlock pocket pistol by Bass of London. It is 6 ½” overall with a 1 ¾” screw off barrel (a tool is required to unscrew the barrel). The barrel’s smooth bore has residue and staining consistent with age and use. It has impressed black powder proofs on the underside of the action & barrel. The action is signed on one side within oval roundel ‘Bass’. The reverse marked ‘London’. The trigger guard is decorated with a stylised star mark. The action works as it should with a strong spring action and has a steel safety bolt. The stippled bag shaped walnut grip is undamaged. The price includes UK delivery. NB As an antique flintlock pistol no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as a part of a collection or display. Sn 15964:20
£495.00

SOLD SOLD (14/02) 1823 – 1832 English, Leech Chelmsford Essex 24 Bore Percussion Pocket Pistol With Screw Off Barrel. Sn 15964:19 - 15964:19
John Leech & John Leech Jnr were English gunsmiths recorded as working in Chelmsford Essex between 1823 and 1832 (see page 271 of British Gunmakers by Brown). This is a very good percussion pocket pistol by Leech of Chelmsford. It is 5 ¾” overall with a 1 ¾” screw off barrel (a tool is required to unscrew the barrel). The barrel’s smooth bore has residue and staining consistent with age and use. It has impressed black powder proofs on the underside of the action & barrel and is numbered ‘52’ . The action has foliate engraved decoration and is signed on one side ‘Leech’. The reverse marked ‘Chelmsford’. The trigger guard is decorated with a stylised star mark. The action works as it should with a strong spring action and has a steel safety bolt. The bag shaped walnut grip is undamaged. The price includes UK delivery. NB As an antique percussion pistol no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as a part of a collection or display. Sn 15964:19
£0.00
Previous 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  Next Page 4 of 35