Items: 0 Price: £0    
view cart

Antique Guns and Equipment

Previous 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  Next Page 16 of 32

VERY RARE, Un-Altered, 1859 Dated, 32 Bore, Jacob Double Rifled Barrel Percussion Rifle By Swinburn & Co To The Indian Jacob's Rifles Battalion. Sn 14786 - 14786
In the history of firearms, the military double rifle invented by British General John Jacob of the Indian Army was probably one of the most ambitious designs ever devised. General Jacob was a fascinating person, one of those larger than life mid-19th century characters whose career reads more like a novel than fact. He tamed great portions of India’s wild Northwest Frontier & set up civil administrations. As an improvement on the British issue Brunswick Rifle, which fired a belted round ball, he devised a symmetrical conical projectile with studs that mechanically fit in the rifle’s bore, giving far better accuracy than the Brunswick. He continued his work, to include the invention of a bullet with a fulminate nose plug that exploded upon contact that was felt would be great for blowing up enemy artillery at long distances. At about the same time he invented the double rifle, and figured that style would perfectly suit his rifling system. In the mid-1850s Jacob contracted with British gunsmith Swinburn & Son to make the unusual arms. Each rifle had a special patchbox proudly engraved with the proposed unit’s name, “Jacob’s Rifles”. Jacob raised a Battalion of native riflemen and armed them with his double gun. “Jacob’s Rifles,” as the unit was to be called, numbered about 1,000 officers and men, 900 of whom were issued with Jacob’s very expensive rifles. Some time after Jacob's death in 1858, the rifles issued to his troops were put back into stores and the troops were given more conventional long arms. Ultimately the doubles were released from service and sold for large game hunting use, some having either one or both barrels converted to smoothbore to allow a choice of shot or bullet. This very rare, excellent, original Jacob double-barreled rifle has not been altered in any way and retains its original military double rifled barrels which are 32 bore. The barrels measure 24” and the gun’s overall length is 40”. Both barrels are clean and the rifling is crisp and well defined. This weapon has its original military bayonet lug. Its sights are graduated to a very optimistic 2,000 yards. (The 6-inch-long rear leaf was so contrived that to use it at an extreme range it had to be fired from the chest). The rifle's cocking and double trigger firing action work perfectly as they should. It's wood work and metal are in excellent condition with just the minor bumps & bruises on the wood to be expected of a weapon of this age. Its hammer plates are both faintly marked 'Swinburn & Son 1859' and its patch box lid, crisply marked 'Jacob's Rifles'. The rifle is complete with original ram rod and sling swivels. The price for this innovative, historic piece which is one of only 900 made includes UK delivery. NB As an antique percussion rifle no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 14786
£5,250.00

RARE, 1860 Dated, 32 Bore, Jacob Double Barrel Percussion Rifle (One Barrel Rifled,The Other Smoothbore) By Swinburn & Co To The Indian Jacob's Rifles Battalion. Sn 7387 - 7387
In the history of firearms, the military double rifle invented by British General John Jacob of the Indian Army was probably one of the most ambitious designs ever devised. General Jacob was a fascinating person, one of those larger than life mid-19th century characters whose career reads more like a novel than fact. He tamed great portions of India’s wild Northwest Frontier & set up civil administrations. As an improvement on the British issue Brunswick Rifle, which fired a belted round ball, he devised a symmetrical conical projectile with studs that mechanically fit in the rifle’s bore, giving far better accuracy than the Brunswick. He continued his work, to include the invention of a bullet with a fulminate nose plug that exploded upon contact that was felt would be great for blowing up enemy artillery at long distances. At about the same time he invented the double rifle, and figured that style would perfectly suit his rifling system. In the mid-1850s Jacob contracted with British gunsmith Swinburn & Son to make the unusual arms. Each rifle had a special patchbox proudly engraved with the proposed unit’s name, “Jacob’s Rifles”. Jacob raised a Battalion of native riflemen and armed them with his double gun. “Jacob’s Rifles,” as the unit was to be called, numbered about 1,000 officers and men, 900 of whom were issued with Jacob’s very expensive rifles. Some time after Jacob's death in 1858, the rifles issued to his troops were put back into stores and the troops were given more conventional long arms. Ultimately the doubles were released from service and sold for large game hunting use, some having either one or both barrels converted to smoothbore to allow a choice of shot or bullet. This is a rare, excellent original Jacob double-barreled rifle. The 32 Bore barrels measure 24” and the gun’s overall length is 40”. The right barrel has had the majority of its rifling contemporarily removed to allow use for shot/ musket ball. The left has all of its original crisp rifling. Both barrels are clean. This weapon has had its bayonet lug contemporarily removed. Its sights are graduated to a very optimistic 2,000 yards. (The 6-inch-long rear leaf was so contrived that to use it at an extreme range it had to be fired from the chest). The rifle's cocking and double trigger firing action work perfectly as they should. It's wood work and metal are in excellent condition with just the minor bumps & bruises on the wood to be expected of a weapon of this age. Its hammer plates are both crisply marked 'Swinburn & Son 1860' and its patch box lid 'Jacob's Rifles'. The rifle is complete with original ram rod and sling swivels. Price for this innovative, historic piece which is one of only 900 made includes UK delivery. NB As an antique percussion rifle no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 7387.
£4,250.00

C1870 French Lefaucheux Patent 9mm Pin Fire Obsolete Calibre Closed Frame Double Action Revolver. Sn 14770 - 14770
This is a fine original 9mm, 6 shot French Lefaucheux revolver. It is 10 ½” overall with an 5" octagonal barrel. The pistol has its original colour case hardened blue finish with foliate engraved decoration to the frame. It has an excellent undamaged, chequered walnut grip. It is side gate loading & is double action. The cocking and firing actions function as they should in both single and double action. The top of the barrel is marked ‘Syst (system) Lefaucheux’ . This is an excellent example of a Lefaucheux pin fire revolver & the price includes UK delivery. NB As an obsolete calibre pin fire weapon, no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as a part of a collection or display. Sn 14770
£895.00

1799-1812 English Joseph Dutton, Birmingham, 16 Bore Flintlock Pistol With Brass Fittings & Ram Rod. A 593 - A 593
Joseph Dutton was a Birmingham based gunsmith with premises at Pritchit Street, between 1799 & 1803 and Snowhill between 1804 & 1812 (see page 211 of British Gunmakers Vol 2 by Brown). This is an excellent, original flintlock pistol by Dutton. It is 15” overall length. The lock plate is signed by the maker ‘Dutton’. It has brass furniture including brass ram rod mount, side plate and trigger guard with extended tang. The side plate and trigger guard have foliate engraved decoration. It has its wood ram rod with horn end cap. The original walnut full stock is undamaged. The smooth bore of the 9 ¼” round steel barrel has staining and residue consistent with age. The muzzle diameter of the barrel is 16.75mm (approx. 16 bore). The barrel has black powder proof marks and is also signed ‘Dutton’. Its Swan neck hammer is fitted with flint. The lock’s cocking and firing actions work as they should. The price includes UK delivery. NB. As an antique flintlock pistol no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as a part of a collection or display. A 593
£1,100.00

American, 1881 Colt 'New Line' 5 Shot .32 Rim Fire Obsolete Calibre Single Action Pocket Revolver. Sn 14714 - 14714
The Colt New Line was a single action pocket revolver introduced by the Colt's Patent Fire Arms Manufacturing Company in 1873. This is a very good example. The metal work has even patina throughout. The revolver has a 2 ¼” round barrel (6” overall). The top of the barrel is crisply marked 'Colt's PT FA MFG CC Hartford CT USA'. The frame is stamped with ’32 Cal’ calibre detail. It has a blade fore sight and grooved frame rear sight. The action is single action only and works as it should. It has a removable cylinder for speed loading. The Walnut grips are undamaged. The grip frame is stamped with serial number ’17316’ which dates it to 1881. The price includes UK delivery. NB As an antique obsolete calibre rim fire revolver no licence is required to own this pistol in the UK if retained as a part of a collection or display. Sn 14714
£745.00

Victorian British Pattern 1839/42 .750 Musket Calibre Percussion Service Musket. Sn 14785 - 14785
This is an original British Service Musket. It has the 1839 pattern barrel with fixed rear sight and lock of the 1842 pattern musket (see pages 21 & 22 of British Military Longarms 1815-1865 by Bailey) . The side plate is marked with Crown. It has all original wood stock with brass furniture. The rifle also has its original original steel ramrod, steel sling swivels, block fore sight and fixed rear sight. The barrel’s smooth bore has staining and residue to be expected with age and service use. Total length is 55" with a 39" barrel. The barrel has black powder proofs. The cocking & firing actions work perfectly. This is an antique percussion rifle and no licence is required to own it in the UK if retained as a part of a collection or display. The price includes UK delivery. Sn 14785
£975.00

QUALITY, Victorian, English, Westley Richards, 12 Bore, Double Barrel Break Action Top Lever Pin Fire Shotgun With Damascus Barrels. Sn 14764 - 14764
The renowned English Gunsmiths Westley Richards & Co have been making unique and best quality shotguns and rifles for over 200 years. This is a Victorian 12 Bore double barrel pin fire shotgun made by Westley Richards. At some point in its life it has been re-furbished to a high standard. It has lovely all original Walnut furniture with finely chequered wrist and fore stock. The wrist has a void German silver escutcheon on the underside. The shotgun with double 30”, 12 Bore Damascus, browned steel barrels, has double hammers & triggers. It measures 47” overall. The barrels smooth bores are clean and bright. The top barrel rib is signed by the maker ‘Patent Westley Richards 170 New Bond St London’. The side plates are polished steel & signed by the maker ‘Westley Richards’. The top lever is marked ‘Westley Richards Patent’. The trigger guard with extended tang has foliate engraved decoration. The trigger guard tang is also numbered ‘3867’. It has a small brass bead fore sight. The loading & firing actions of the weapon work perfectly as they should. The price for this quality piece includes UK delivery. NB As an antique obsolete calibre pin fire shotgun no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 14764
£795.00

Victorian 1868 Dated British WD Enfield Snider MK II ** .577 Calibre Artillery Carbine Volunteer Regiment Marked ‘V/BA1/103’ . Sn 14787 - 14787
This is an original British .577 Snider Patent artillery Carbine by Enfield. The Snider action was introduced to British service in 1866 and muzzle loading Enfield Carbines were converted to allow the use of the .577 calibre brass cartridge. They remained in use until the Martini Henry was introduced. This Snider carbine has a 21 ½” round steel barrel with clean bore and crisp rifling. The metal work has even patina throughout. It has a brass butt plate, fore end block & trigger guard. The butt plate tang is marked ‘V/BA1/103’ to a Militia / Volunteer Unit. The wood is undamaged & all original. The side plate is marked ’Enfield’ together with ‘1868’ date & crisp Crown VR mark (Victoria Regina). The breech and barrel have proof/ WD inspection marks together with ‘II**’ designation. The breech cover has a knurled steel lever, correctly without locking catch. The action is strong and works as it should. It has sling swivels, bayonet bar, ram rod, fixed foresight and adjustable rear ladder sight. Price for this carbine worthy of further research regarding the Regiment marks includes UK delivery. NB As an obsolete calibre weapon no licence is required to own this weapon in the UK if retained as a part of a collection or display. Sn 14787
£975.00

UNUSUAL, NAPOLEONIC WARS ERA, Late 1700’s – Early 1800’s, British .750 Musket Calibre, Flintlock Cavalry Carbine, Officer’s Private Purchase By Mortimer London, Regiment Marked ‘26’ (To The 26th Light Dragoons) With Steel Ram Rod. Sn 14750. - 14750
This is an excellent example of an unusual variant Officer’s private purchase Cavalry carbine. It has nice patina to the metal work throughout. It has a heavy military hammer fitted with flint. The lock plate is crisply stamped by the manufacturer ‘Mortimer’ (many Gunsmiths named Mortimer are recorded as working in London during the 1700’s & 1800’s). It has a 19” barrel (34 ½” overall) and is .750 musket calibre. The smooth bore has light staining consistent with age. The top of the barrel is stamped with black powder proofs & ‘London’. It has its original steel ram rod, grooved breech rear sight and block fore sight. The carbine also has brass fore end block, ram rod mounts, void inlaid brass escutcheon, trigger guard with extended tang & butt plate which is engraved with Regiment mark ‘26’ (most likely to The 26th Light Dragoons. The Regiment was raised 25th March 1795, renumbered in 1803 as the 23rd Light Dragoons. The Regiment was disbanded after the Napoleonic wars in 1819). It is complete all original, undamaged Walnut furniture in Brown Bess form of the era. It’s cocking and firing actions work perfectly. The price includes UK delivery. NB As an antique flintlock Carbine no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 14750
£1,850.00

SOLD SOLD (08/05) Early, Paget’s, British .650 Carbine Calibre, Flintlock Short Cavalry Carbine, Officer’s Private Purchase By Allport Regiment Marked ‘MB 15’ (Most Likely To The 15th King’s Hussars Militia) Captive Steel Ram Rod, Bar & Ring. - 14751
The design of these short Carbines was influenced by the British Cavalry Commander, Sir Henry William Paget 1st Marquess of Anglesey, 2nd Earl of Uxbridge(1768-1854) who sought to find a suitable carbine for his troops when, in 1801, he was Colonel of the 7th Light Dragoons (see pages 87 to 97 of British Cavalry Carbines & Pistols Of The Napoleonic Era by Chisnall & Davies which outlines the history of the Paget carbine and illustrates Paget carbine variations. Page 97 illustrates an early Paget carbine similar to ours but dated 1805). The flintlock version was adopted by the British Army & designated as the Short Cavalry Carbine. It was the carbine of the English Cavalry until C1830. This is a fine example of the rare, early variant, Paget Cavalry carbine, no doubt a British Officer’s Private purchase. It has nice patina to the metal work throughout. It has a heavy military hammer fitted with flint. The lock plate is crisply stamped with Georgian crown and by the manufacturer ‘Allport’ (most likely George Allport recorded at Aston Road Birmingham 1807-1812, see page 156 of British Gunmakers Vol 2 by Brown). It has a 20” barrel (35” overall) and is .650 carbine calibre. The smooth bore has light staining and residue consistent with age. The top of the barrel is stamped with black powder proofs together with Regiment mark ‘M.B. 15’ (most likely to The 15th The King's Hussars Militia B Troop. Initially a Light Dragoon Regiment , The Regiment was re named the 15th King’s Hussars. The Regiment was first raised in 1759, it saw service over two centuries, including the Napoleonic wars before being amalgamated with the 19th Royal Hussars into the 15th/19th The King's Royal Hussars in 1922). It has the correct under barrel captive swivel ramrod with end cap, plate with ‘v’ notch fixed rear sight and blade fore sight. The carbine also has brass fore end block, trigger guard with extended tang & butt plate. It is complete with original correct steel saddle bar & ring. It has all original, undamaged Walnut furniture. It’s cocking and firing actions work perfectly. The price includes UK delivery. NB As an antique flintlock Carbine no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 14751
£0.00
Previous 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  Next Page 16 of 32