Items: 0 Price: £0    
view cart

Antique Guns and Equipment

 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  Next Page 1 of 33

1880’s Victorian English Thomas Calton Austin & Co Ltd Hastings Sussex 12 Bore Double Damascus Barrels Breech Loading Under Lever Break Action Percussion Sporting Shotgun Wall Hanger. **UK/EU DEACTIVATION CERTIFICATED**Sn 6606 - 6606
Thomas Calton Austin was an English Gunsmith recorded as having premises at 44 George Street, Hastings Sussex C1883 and then at 8 George Street C1886 (see page 160 of British Gunmakers Vol 2 by Brown). This is a double barrel percussion sporting shotgun made sometime in the 1880’s by Austin. It has 30” Damascus steel barrels and measures 46” overall. The barrels, set side by side have a central flat top barrel rib. It has its original walnut stock which has just the bumps and bruises to be expected with age and use and double triggers and hammers. Its steel trigger guard with extended tang, stock fittings, side plates & hammers have foliate engraved decoration. Both side plates are engraved with the manufacturer’s name ‘T.C. Ausin & Co Ltd. The underside of the stock is inlaid with a void silver disc. The weapon’s under lever break action works as it should. Deactivated to UK / EU specification the hammers on this shotgun move but it does not cock & dry fire. The price includes UK /EU deactivation certificate & UK delivery. Sn 6606
£295.00

MINT BORE, Victorian 1878 British WD & EIC BSA & M Co Snider MK III .577 Obsolete Calibre Cavalry Carbine. A 1016 - A 1016
The East India Company (EIC) renowned for its exploration and trading throughout the World had its own Army and Navy. The company was often in conflict with British Governments regarding trade but ultimately would often fight on behalf of the British Government for both their own & British interests. This is an excellent, original British War Dept WD & EIC marked .577 Snider MK III Cavalry Carbine. The Snider action was introduced to British service in 1866 and muzzle loading Enfield Carbines were converted to allow the use of the .577 calibre brass cartridge. They remained in use until the Martini Henry was introduced. This BSA & M Co ((Birmingham Small Arms & Metals Small Heath 1872-1897) cavalry carbine was made in 1878. It has a 19 ¼” barrel (37 ½” overall). The bore is near mint, clean with crisp rifling. It has a brass butt plate with trap and brass trigger guard. The woodwork has just the bumps & bruises to be expected with age & service use. The action plate is crisply marked with the Victoria Crown above ‘EIC’ mark, dated 1878 and has the 'BSA & M Co' (Birmingham Small Arms & Machine Company) manufacturer's stamp together with inspection marks. The top of the breech is stamped 'III' model designation and has WD marks. The hinged breech cover is numbered ‘6672’ together with small inspection mark and correct knurled steel breech release catch. The breech and barrel have WD proof/inspection marks. The carbine has a fixed foresight and adjustable ladder rear sight. The action is strong and works as it should. The price includes UK delivery. NB As an antique obsolete calibre weapon no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as a part of a collection or display. A 1016
£895.00

RARE, American Civil War Era Starr 1st Model 1856 Patent Army .44” Calibre Cap & Ball Revolver With Double Triggers & Factory Inspector’s Marks. Sn 11469 - 11469
This is an original, rare, 1st Model American Starr Army Revolver in .44 calibre. Between January 1862 and May 1863 16,100 .44 calibre Starr Army revolvers were delivered to the United States Military at $25.00 per revolver. This model uses dual triggers to allow the shooter to fire the weapon in a cocked single action position without first pulling the hammer back by hand. The front trigger cocks the hammer and rotates the cylinder. There is an adjustable lug attached to the rear of the front trigger that engages the rear trigger which is located in the rear of the trigger-guard which in turn, releases the hammer. The pistol also fires in conventional double action mode. These pistols were widely used throughout the Civil War and highly prized by Confederate troops. Later 2nd type pistols had single triggers. This 1st type example is original and has even patina to the white metal work throughout. It has a 6” round steel barrel which has a clean bore and crisp rifling. The barrel has a ‘k’ factory Inspector’s mark on the grip frame. The weapon has a blade fore sight and notched hammer rear sight. It is crisply marked on the right hand side with ' STARR'S PATENT JAN 15 1856' and on the left hand side ' STARR ARMS CO NEW YORK'. The cylinder is numbered '68602'. The one piece wood grip is original and undamaged and has Factory Inspector mark cartouches impressed on the left & right sides. The action works well and is very strong. This is a scarce American Civil War period revolver. The price includes UK delivery. NB As an antique percussion revolver no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as a part of a collection or display. Sn 11469
£1,495.00

SOLD SOLD (17/09) RARE, ONE OF 3000, American Civil War 1863 U.S. Army ‘SN & WTC’ (S.Norris & WT Clement) For Massachusetts Springfield Model Of 1861 Percussion Rifled Musket. Sn 16700 - 16700
The Springfield Model 1861 was a Minié ball type rifled musket shoulder-arm used by the United States Army and Marine Corps during the American Civil War. These rifles were the most widely used U.S. Army weapon during the Civil War, favoured for its range, accuracy, and reliability. It was in service between 1861 and 1872.The rifles were also used during the American Indian Wars. On page 204 of the book ‘The Rifled Musket’ by Claud fuller, the author describes this model as a regular Model 1861 Rifled Musket as opposed to the Model 1861 Special Contract, made by Colt and others. The initials on the lock plate refer to S Norris and WT Clement who were Civil War contractors to the State of Massachusetts and furnished a total of 3000 of these arms to the State, for arming their troops entering the Union Army. This is an excellent original U.S. Army S Norris and WT Clement State of Massachusetts Springfield Model Of 1861 Percussion Rifled Musket one of the 3000 made by Norris & Clement for the State of Massachusetts. It has an undamaged walnut stock and clean, bright metal in the white. It measures 55 ½” overall with a 39" barrel. The barrel’s bore has crisp rifling and just staining and residue consistent with age. The weapon has its original block & blade fore sight and graduated flip up 2 leaf rear sight, heavy military hammer, steel butt plate stamped with ‘U.S.’ (Army acceptance mark), sling swivels and ram rod. The action plate is crisply marked with the American Eagle together with ‘U.S. mark & manufacturer detail ‘SN (S.Norris) & WTC (W.T Clement) For Massachusetts’. The tail of the plate is dated ‘1863’. The barrel and wood have factory inspector / proof marks (illustrated). The weapon’s cocking and firing actions work perfectly. The price includes UK delivery. NB As a muzzle loading antique percussion rifled musket no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display Sn 16700
£0.00

RESERVED 25/09 Imperial Prussian VCS*CGH Suhl (Valentin Christoph Schilling* Carl Gottlieb Haenel) Model 1883 (M/83) 10.6 mm Obsolete Centre Fire Calibre Reichs Revolver Regiment Marked 'K.S. 216’ To The Kommando Schutzen (Command Protection Unit). Sn - 16688
Prior to the 1880's only Prussian Officers were armed with pistols. The Officers were at that time issued with the heavy Model 1879 revolver. In the early 1880's when Prussia made the decision to arm Non Commissioned Officers, Artillery Field Gunners, Medical Corps Staff & other specialist units with revolvers, the lighter model 1883 revolver was introduced (see pages 153 & 236 of the book Reichs revolver By Harder). This is an excellent M/83 10.6mm Reichs Revolver by VCS*CGH Suhl . It has a 4 ¾” round barrel stepped to octagonal at the breech. The barrel's bore is clean and has crisp rifling. It measures 10" overall and retains its original blue finish and wood grips which are undamaged. The left side of the frame is stamped with themanufactiurer’s mark VCS*CGH Suhl (Valentin Christoph Schilling* Carl Gottlieb Haenel). It has matching serial numbers '164' stamped on the frame & barrel. The pistol is side gate loading and fitted with military lanyard ring lug & later lanyard ring. The pistol is single action and its firing & loading mechanism works with a nice crisp action in both single & double action. The left side of the frame has a thumb operated safety lever which works as it should. The steel grip strap is Regiment marked 'K.S. 216’ To The Kommando Schutzen (most likely ‘Command Protection Unit’, weapon number 216, see page19 of German Small Arms Markings by Gortz & Bryans). The price includes UK delivery. NB As an obsolete calibre revolver no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 16688 (NB A rare M/83 Reichs revolver Holster which fits this pistol perfectly is available separately on this website)
£1,275.00

Georgian / Victorian Era Indian / Afghan North West Frontier 22 Bore Flintlock Jezail Rifle With Brown Bess East India Company Lock, Wood Stock Ornately Decorated With Mother Of Pearl & Brass. Sn 16687 - 16687
The Jezail was a simple, cost-efficient and often handmade muzzle-loading long arm commonly used in British India, Central Asia and parts of the Middle East. Jezails were generally handmade weapons, and consequently they widely varied in their construction. Jezails were seen as very personal weapons, and unlike the typical military weapons of the time which were very plain and utilitarian, Jezails tended to be well crafted and were usually intricately decorated. Jezails tended to have very long barrels. The firing mechanism was typically either a matchlock or a flintlock. Since flintlock mechanisms were complex and difficult to manufacture, many Jezails used the lock mechanism from captured or broken Brown Bess muskets. The stocks were handmade and ornately decorated, featuring a distinctive curve which is not seen in the stocks of other muskets. The function of this curve is debated; it may be purely decorative, or it may have allowed the Jezail to be tucked under the arm and cradled tightly against the body, as opposed to being held to the shoulder like a typical musket or rifle. During the Anglo Afghan Wars the Jezail was the primary ranged weapon of Afghan warriors and was used with great effect against British troops. This is a good, ornately decorated Indian flintlock Jezail. It has a 47” long steel barrel with flared muzzle and brass barrel bands. The weapon has fixed front and rear sights. The rifle is 22 Bore. The rifled bore has staining and residue consistent with age and use. It measures 5 Feet 1 Inch overall length. The action is from a Brown Bess musket and is marked with an East India Company Rampant Lion mark. Its wood stock is intricately hand inlaid with pieces of Mother of Pearl and brass. It has the typical Jezail curved butt. The wood and metal have the wear and patina to be expected of a native Indian weapon of its age. As is common with these old native weapons the hammer and trigger move but it does not cock & dry fire. The price includes UK delivery. NB As an antique flintlock weapon no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 16687
£575.00

MASSIVE, C1790 Indian North West Frontier Match Lock 8 Bore Musket With Cannon Barrel & Ram Rod. Sn 16633 - 16633
The matchlock was the first mechanism, or "lock" invented to facilitate the firing of a hand-held firearm. This design removed the need to lower by hand a lit match into the weapon's flash pan and made it possible to have both hands free to keep a firm grip on the weapon at the moment of firing and more importantly, to keep both eyes on the target. This is a C1790 Indian matchlock musket as used against British troops on the North West Frontier. It has a 4 Feet 1 Inch long 8 bore cannon barrel with flared muzzle and measures 5 feet 8 Inches overall length. The bore has typical residue and staining. It has a wood stock which has knocks bumps and bruises to be expected with age and use. It has a metal bar press trigger on the underside of the stock which correctly moves the 'match holder' arm to the metal powder pan arm and iron ram rod. The metal has even patina to be expected of a native Indian weapon of its age. The price includes UK delivery. NB As an antique matchlock musket no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 16633
£475.00

A Pair Of Late C1750 16 Bore Bronze Ship’s Black Powder Signal Cannon Recovered From The Wreck Of British Battle Ship HMS Royal George Which Capsized & Sank Un 29th August 1782 At Spithead On Later Wheeled Deck Carriages. Sn 16631 - 16631
HMS Royal George was a 100-gun first-rate ship of the line of the Royal Navy, built at Woolwich Dockyard and launched on 18 February 1756. The largest warship in the world at the time of launching, she saw service during the Seven Years' War including being Admiral Sir Edward Hawke's flagship at the Battle of Quiberon Bay and later taking part in the Battle of Cape St Vincent. She sank undergoing routine maintenance work whilst anchored off Portsmouth on 29 August 1782 with the loss of more than 800 lives, one of the most serious maritime losses to occur in British waters. Several attempts were made to raise the vessel, both for salvage and because she was a major hazard to navigation. Many items of guns and equipment were recovered during the attempts. In 1839 Major-General Charles Pasley, at the time a colonel of the Royal Engineers, commenced operations to break up the wreck using barrels of gunpowder and in 1840, the remaining structure of the wreck was destroyed by the Royal Engineers in an explosion that shattered windows as far away as Portsmouth and Gosport. These quality cannon were recovered from the wreck of HMS Royal George. The bronze cannon each measure 12 ½” overall length and are 16 Bore. The bores of each cannon have staining & residue consistent with age and their touch holes are open. Each cannon has very faint partially visible original etching to ‘HMS Royal George 1756’. Each cannon is mounted on their later wooden wheeled deck carriages with blackened bronze fittings. Each cannon mounted on their carriages are 12 ½” overall length, 7 ¼” wide axle end to axle end and 4 ½” high to trunnion top. The price for this superb pair of bronze cannon with connections to a documented Royal Navy Battle Ship includes UK delivery. NB. As antique black powder muzzle loading cannon no licence is required to own them in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 16631
£1,695.00

CASED WITH TRADE LABEL, C1840 English, Beckwith, London, Gunmakers To The Honourable East India Company (HEIC), Officer’s Private Purchase Brass Action .420 Calibre Bar Hammer, 6 Shot Pepper Box Revolver & Accessories Including WD Bullet Mould - 16679
The English gunmaker William .A. Beckwith operated in London from 1800 until approx. 1840 from which time business was conducted at 58 Skinner Street, Snow Hill. His son Henry was also involved in the family business until 1868. Henry Beckwith is listed as participating in the International Exhibition of 1851 (see page 123 of Pepperbox Firearms by Dunlap and Fig.53 on the same page where a pepperbox pistol by Beckwith is illustrated). The Honorable East India Company (HEIC) renowned for its exploration and trading throughout the World had its own Army and Navy. The company was often in conflict with British Governments regarding trade but ultimately would often fight on behalf of the British Government for both their own & British interests. This cased, bar hammer pepperbox by Beckwith of London is most likely an HEIC Officer’s private purchase piece and is in excellent condition. The action works perfectly. The pistol has a cluster of 6 x 3 ½” barrels and measures 8 ½” overall. The barrels are stamped with Victorian black powder proofs & the smooth bores have just light staining consistent with age. On one side the brass action is signed ‘Beckwith London’ within a foliate engraved panel and the reverse ‘Improved Revolving Pistol’ within a foliate engraved panel. The brass grip frame, steel trigger guard & steel bar hammer, have foliate decoration. The grip frame decoration incorporates a number ‘18’. The pistol has its original undamaged Walnut grip. The pistol is contained in its original wood case with hinged lid. The top of the lid is inlaid with a void brass roundel. The inside of the lid has its original W.A. Beckwith London To The Honourable East India Company trade label which has the Company’s Skinner Street address. The case has a brass lock (key absent). The case is lined with green felt and has compartments which contain accessories including an empty percussion cap tin, a steel bullet mould marked ‘42’ (calibre) and ‘WD’ (British War Dept), a copper and brass black powder flask, a small metal container with screw top lid and oil applicator tool, a wood ram rod with brass caps, & an Ebony handled tool. The price for this excellent cased pistol with many accessories & connections to the HEIC includes UK delivery. NB As an antique percussion revolver no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 16679
£2,200.00

MASSIVE FRAME, MINT BORE, WW1 Era ‘Montenegrin Gasser’ 6 shot, 11mm Obsolete Calibre Double Action Military Revolver & Holster. Sn 16229. - 16229
The title 'Montenegrin Gasser' covers a variety of six-chamber large calibre revolvers. In 1910 King Nicholas I of Montenegro proclaimed that all male citizens were the Militia and had a right and a duty to own a Gasser Pattern revolver. The standard issue in the Montenegrin military was the Austrian Gasser Model 1870 in 11.2mm which became known as the Montenegrin Gasser. The sudden demand was met by producers in Austria, Belgium and Spain. Single and double-action locks were used, grips were often in ivory or bone, engraved decoration was common, and the predominant impression was one of weight and bulk. Gasser revolvers were used by the Austro-Hungarian Army during World War 1 and by various Armies including Italy & Yugoslavia in World War 2. The pistols were produced by the firm Leopold Gasser Waffenfabrik in Vienna from 1898 to 1912. This is an excellent massive frame Montenegrin Gasser revolver. The metal work in the white and bone grips are in excellent condition. The metal work has intricate foliate engraved decoration and ‘Crown R’, ‘Star P’ inspection marks. The 9 ½” barrel has fixed sights and its bore is near mint, clean with crisp rifling (16 ½” overall length). It has its original captive steel ejector rod, military lanyard ring lug & the pistol’s firing mechanism works perfectly in both single and double action. The pistol is complete with its original period brown leather holster. It has a full flap cover which has a retaining strap with eyelet and brass stud fastener to the body. The rear of the holster has a single belt loop. All leather and stitching of the holster are clean & intact. There are no manufacturer or date marks on the holster. The price includes UK delivery. NB As an antique obsolete calibre weapon no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 16229.
£895.00
 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  Next Page 1 of 33