Items: 0 Price: £0    
view cart

Military Headgear - Caps

Previous 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Page 3 of 9

Victorian, London Rifle Brigade Shako By Samuel Brothers London With Queen’s Crown Plate. Sn 14703 - 14703
The London Rifle Brigade was a volunteer unit of the British Army. The Regiment was first raised in the City of London on 14 December 1859 as 1st London (City of London Volunteer Rifle Brigade) Rifle Volunteer Corps, a rifle volunteer unit made up of five companies. On 1 July 1881 it was made part of the King's Royal Rifle Corps as its 9th Volunteer Battalion. Ten years later, in December 1891, it was renamed the 1st London Volunteer Rifle Corps (City of London Volunteer Rifle Brigade). When the volunteer and militia units were re-organised as the Territorial Force in 1908 the unit was again renamed, becoming the 5th (City of London) Battalion of the new London Regiment. This is a very good original Victorian era private purchase Shako of the London Rifle Brigade. The Shako has a blue serge covering with a broad patent leather headband and patent leather peak. The crown of the Shako is trimmed with patent leather. The surface covering has areas of service wear to be expected. The front of the Shako is mounted with its original Victorian blackened metal Queen’s Crown London Rifle Brigade plate. The Shako is complete with its leather sweatband and silk liner. The crown has a gold leaf Queens Crown Military Outfitters roundel ‘Samuel Brothers London’. The liner and sweatband are clean and intact. The Shako is approx. UK size 6. The price includes UK delivery. Sn 14703
£475.00

SOLD SOLD (20/11) Victorian, Pre 1899, British 21st Lancers Officer’s Lance Cap / Chapka By Cater & Co London, 1st Pattern Queens Crown Silvered Plate With Late Victorian ‘VRI’ Bullion Rosette, White Swan Feathers Plume. Sn 14666:13 - 14666:13
The 21st Lancers Regiment was originally raised in Bengal by the East India Company in 1858 as the 3rd Bengal European Light Cavalry, for service in the Indian Rebellion. As with all other "European" units of the Company, it was placed under the command of the British Crown in 1858, and formally moved into the British Army in 1862, when it was designated as a Hussar Regiment and titled the 21st Regiment of Hussars. A detachment saw service in the 1884–85 expedition to the Sudan, with the Light Camel Regiment. In 1898 the Regiment served in Sudan during the Mahdist War, as the only British Cavalry unit involved. It was there that the full Regiment charged with Lances in the classic cavalry style during the Battle of Omdurman in September 1898. Of less than 400 men involved in the charge 70 were killed or wounded and the Regiment won three Victoria Crosses. This spectacular encounter earned considerable public attention and praise for the Regiment. That same year, the Regiment was given the title 21st (Empress of India's) Lancers, taking the name from Queen Victoria who was the Empress of India. The Regiment was moved to Dublin in 1899, and served in Ireland for several years. In 1912 it was again posted to India. The 21st Lancers did not see service on the Western Front during the First World War, being the only regular Cavalry Regiment of the British Army to spend the duration of the war in India. The Regiment did however see action on the North-West Frontier during 1915–16. A single squadron made up of reservists served in France in 1916–17, attached to XIV Corps. The Regiment was retitled 21st Lancers (Empress of India's) in 1921 and shortly thereafter disbanded as part of the post-War reduction in forces, though a cadre was briefly resurrected in 1922 in order to amalgamate with the 17th Lancers, to form the 17th/21st Lancers. This is an original, Victorian Officer’s Lance Cap of the 21st Lancer’s made prior to re-naming as the 21st (Empress Of India’s) Lancer’s (see pages 27,31,166 of the book ‘Head Dress Of The British Lancer’s 1816 To The Present’ by Rowe & Carman and page 139 which illustrates a 1st pattern Officer’s 21st lancer’s plate, the same as ours). Our Lance Cap has the correct internal construction, peak and body of black patent leather and are adorned with gold purl decoration. The top and sides have Regimental blue cloth covering with correct gold lace waistband. The inside has its original leather sweatband and silk lining in excellent condition. The crown has a gold leaf tailors stamp ‘Cater & Co 56 Pall Mall London Established 1776’ below Crown VR (Victoria Regina) Royal cypher (illustrated). The rear has the correct brass ring & hook with 4 leaf mount. Bullion rope piping extends across the top of the cap & down the 4 angles. The cap has the correct late Victorian bullion rosette with stylised ‘VRI’ cypher (Victoria Regina India) applied in the late Victorian era post 1898 after renaming of the Regiment. It has Lion’s head bosses with correct velvet backed link brass chain. It has a brass plume boss with correct white Swan’s feathers plume. The cap has its original rayed plate and silvered 1st pattern badge comprising the Queen’s Crown Royal arms and banners 21st Lancers (1st pattern badges have the helmet and mantling above the Royal arms). The cap is approx UK size 6 1/2. The price includes UK delivery. Sn 14666:13
£0.00

Victorian British 16th The Queen's Lancers Officer’s Lance Cap / Chapka By Sexton, Dublin With Gilt Fittings, Silvered Queen’s Crown Plate, With Pre Boer War Battle Honours, Bullion Rosette & Cock’s Tail Feather Plume. - 14666:10
The 16th The Queen's Lancers was a Cavalry Regiment of the British Army, first raised in 1759. It saw service for two centuries, before being amalgamated with the 5th Royal Irish Lancers to form the 16th/5th Lancers) in 1922. The Regiment was raised in 1759 by Colonel John Burgoyne as the 16th Regiment of (Light) Dragoons, being the second of the new Regiments of Light Dragoons; it was also known as Burgoyne's Light Horse. The Regiment was closely involved, undertaking several cavalry charges, in the action leading up to the capture of the French Garrison of Belle Île in April 1761 during the Seven Years' War. It also made a major contribution to the British victories against the Spaniards at the Battle of Valencia de Alcántara in August 1762 and at the Battle of Vila Velha in October 1762 during the Anglo-Spanish War. In 1766 the Regiment was renamed after Queen Charlotte as the 2nd (or The Queen's) Regiment of (Light) Dragoons, the number being an attempt to create a new numbering system for the Light Dragoon Regiments. However, the old system was quickly re-established, with the Regiment returning as the 16th (The Queen's) Regiment of (Light) Dragoons in 1769. The Regiment arrived in New York in October 1776 for service in the American Revolutionary War. It was involved in fighting at the Battle of White Plains in October 1776, the Battle of Brandywine in September 1777 and the Battle of Germantown in October 1777 before seeing more action at the Battle of Crooked Billet in May 1778, the Battle of Barren Hill later that month and the Battle of Monmouth in June 1778. The Regiment returned to England in spring 1779. The Regiment next landed at Ostend in April 1793 for service in the Flanders Campaign and was present at the Siege of Valenciennes in June 1793, the Siege of Dunkirk in August 1793 and the Siege of Landrecies in April 1794. It also took part in the Battle of Beaumont in April 1794, the Battle of Willems in May 1794 and the Battle of Tournay in later that month before returning to England in February 1796. The Regiment was then based in Ireland between autumn 1802 and 1805. During the Napoleonic Wars the Regiment were ordered to support Sir Arthur Wellesley's Army on the Iberian Peninsula and landed at Lisbon in April 1809. The Regiment fought at the Second Battle of Porto in May 1809, the Battle of Talavera in July 1809 and the Siege of Ciudad Rodrigo in April 1810. The Regiment also saw action at the Battle of Bussaco in September 1810 the Battle of Sabugal in April 1811 and the Battle of Fuentes de Oñoro in May 1811. It next fought at the Battle of Salamanca in July 1812, the Siege of Burgos in September 1812 and the Battle of Vitoria in June 1813. It was next in action at the Siege of San Sebastián in August 1813 and having advanced into France, at the Battle of Nivelle in November 1813. The regiment took part in the Hundred Days landing at Ostend in May 1815. It charged with John Vandeleur's Cavalry Brigade at the Battle of Waterloo in June 1815. After the battle, their commander, Lieutenant-colonel James Hay, lay so badly injured that he could not be moved from the field for eight days. The Regiment had been the sole British Cavalry Regiment to serve throughout the Peninsular War and at the Hundred Days. In the Victorian era, the Regiment was dispatched to Ireland in March 1816 where it was re-designated as a Lancer Regiment in September 1816, becoming the 16th (The Queen's) Regiment of (Light) Dragoons (Lancers). It returned from Ireland in June 1819 and was sent to India in 1822 where it saw action, using lances, against the Marathas at the Siege of Bharatpur in January 1826. It saw action again at the capture of Ghuznee in July 1839 during the First Anglo-Afghan War and at the Battle of Maharajpore in December 1843 during the Gwalior Campaign. It also took part in the Battle of Aliwal in January 1846, when the Regiment charged and dispersed a body of Sikhs ten times its size, and also fought at the Battle of Sobraon in February 1846 during the First Anglo-Sikh War. The Regiment’s title was simplified to the 16th (The Queen's) Lancers in 1861. It served in India between 1865 and 1876 and again between 1890 and 1899. Prior to the Boer Wars 1899-1902 the Regiment was awarded Battle Honours: Talavera, Fuentes d'Onor, Salamanca, Vittoria, Nive, Peninsula, Waterloo, Bhurtpore, Ghuznee 1839, Afghanistan 1839, Maharajpore, Aliwal, Sobraon. This is a scarce, original, Cavalry Officer’s Lance Cap of the 16th The Queen's Lancers (see multiple entries including pages 77 to 80 of the book ‘Head Dress Of The British Lancer’s 1816 To The Present’ by Rowe & Carman which illustrates & describes, in detail, the components & construction of Lance caps & Victorian 16th Lancer’s plates similar to ours). The Lance Cap has the correct internal construction, skull and peak of black patent leather with waist of Gold lace and red band. The rear has the correct gilt metal ring & hook with 4 leaf mount. The peak is adorned with gold purl. The cloth top and sides are covered in black cloth of the Regimental facing colour. Bullion cord extends across the top of the cap and down the 4 angles. The cap has the correct bullion ‘VR (Victoria Regina) rosette on a field of red and Lion’s head bosses with velvet backed link chain. It has a brass plume boss with dramatic Cock’s tail Feather plume. The cap is fitted with the correct Victorian gilt metal rayed plate and silvered badge comprising the correct Victorian Crown Royal arms & correct pre Boer War Battle honours above banner ‘Sixteenth Lancers’. The Lance Cap is complete with original leather sweat band and silk liner which are in excellent condition. The lining has a manufacturer’s/ Retailer’s gold leaf stamp ‘R, Sexton Military Tailor 51 Dawson Street Dublin’ indicating that the cap itself may have been commissioned by the original Lancer Officer who owned this cap when stationed in or visiting Dublin. The cap is approx UK size 6 1/2. The price for this impressive Lance Cap to a Prestigious Lancer’s Regiment includes UK delivery. Sn 14666:10 **NB THE 16th LANCERS OFFICER'S UNIFORM THAT WAS ACQUIRED WITH THIS LANCE CAP IS AVAILABLE SEPARATELY (STOCK NUMBER SN 14666:11). A DISCOUNT IS AVAILABLE IF THE LANCE CAP AND UNIFORM ARE PURCHASED TOGETHER. PLEASE CONTACT FOR DETAILS**
£3,950.00

Post 1902 British 16th The Queen's Lancers Trooper’s Lance Cap / Chapka With King’s Crown Plate & Pre WW1 Battle Honours, Rosette,Black Horse Hair Plume & Lines. Sn 14666:8 - 14666:8
The 16th The Queen's Lancers was a Cavalry Regiment of the British Army, first raised in 1759. It saw service for two centuries, before being amalgamated with the 5th Royal Irish Lancers to form the 16th/5th Lancers) in 1922. The Regiment was raised in 1759 by Colonel John Burgoyne as the 16th Regiment of (Light) Dragoons, being the second of the new Regiments of Light Dragoons; it was also known as Burgoyne's Light Horse. The Regiment was closely involved, undertaking several cavalry charges, in the action leading up to the capture of the French Garrison of Belle Île in April 1761 during the Seven Years' War. It also made a major contribution to the British victories against the Spaniards at the Battle of Valencia de Alcántara in August 1762 and at the Battle of Vila Velha in October 1762 during the Anglo-Spanish War. In 1766 the Regiment was renamed after Queen Charlotte as the 2nd (or The Queen's) Regiment of (Light) Dragoons, the number being an attempt to create a new numbering system for the Light Dragoon Regiments. However, the old system was quickly re-established, with the Regiment returning as the 16th (The Queen's) Regiment of (Light) Dragoons in 1769. The Regiment arrived in New York in October 1776 for service in the American Revolutionary War. It was involved in fighting at the Battle of White Plains in October 1776, the Battle of Brandywine in September 1777 and the Battle of Germantown in October 1777 before seeing more action at the Battle of Crooked Billet in May 1778, the Battle of Barren Hill later that month and the Battle of Monmouth in June 1778. The Regiment returned to England in spring 1779. The Regiment next landed at Ostend in April 1793 for service in the Flanders Campaign and was present at the Siege of Valenciennes in June 1793, the Siege of Dunkirk in August 1793 and the Siege of Landrecies in April 1794. It also took part in the Battle of Beaumont in April 1794, the Battle of Willems in May 1794 and the Battle of Tournay in later that month before returning to England in February 1796. The Regiment was then based in Ireland between autumn 1802 and 1805. During the Napoleonic Wars the Regiment were ordered to support Sir Arthur Wellesley's Army on the Iberian Peninsula and landed at Lisbon in April 1809. The Regiment fought at the Second Battle of Porto in May 1809, the Battle of Talavera in July 1809 and the Siege of Ciudad Rodrigo in April 1810. The Regiment also saw action at the Battle of Bussaco in September 1810 the Battle of Sabugal in April 1811 and the Battle of Fuentes de Oñoro in May 1811. It next fought at the Battle of Salamanca in July 1812, the Siege of Burgos in September 1812 and the Battle of Vitoria in June 1813. It was next in action at the Siege of San Sebastián in August 1813 and having advanced into France, at the Battle of Nivelle in November 1813. The regiment took part in the Hundred Days landing at Ostend in May 1815. It charged with John Vandeleur's Cavalry Brigade at the Battle of Waterloo in June 1815. After the battle, their commander, Lieutenant-colonel James Hay, lay so badly injured that he could not be moved from the field for eight days. The Regiment had been the sole British Cavalry Regiment to serve throughout the Peninsular War and at the Hundred Days. In the Victorian era, the Regiment was dispatched to Ireland in March 1816 where it was re-designated as a Lancer Regiment in September 1816, becoming the 16th (The Queen's) Regiment of (Light) Dragoons (Lancers). It returned from Ireland in June 1819 and was sent to India in 1822 where it saw action, using lances, against the Marathas at the Siege of Bharatpur in January 1826. It saw action again at the capture of Ghuznee in July 1839 during the First Anglo-Afghan War and at the Battle of Maharajpore in December 1843 during the Gwalior Campaign. It also took part in the Battle of Aliwal in January 1846, when the Regiment charged and dispersed a body of Sikhs ten times its size, and also fought at the Battle of Sobraon in February 1846 during the First Anglo-Sikh War. The Regiment’s title was simplified to the 16th (The Queen's) Lancers in 1861. It served in India between 1865 and 1876 and again between 1890 and 1899. Prior to the Boer Wars 1899-1902 the Regiment was awarded Battle Honours: Talavera, Fuentes d'Onor, Salamanca, Vittoria, Nive, Peninsula, Waterloo, Bhurtpore, Ghuznee 1839, Afghanistan 1839, Maharajpore, Aliwal, Sobraon. During the Boer wars 1899-1902 the Regiment landed at Cape Colony in January 1900 for service in the Second Boer War and took part in the relief of Kimberley in February 1900. This is a scarce, original, Cavalry Trooper’s Lance Cap of the 16th The Queen's Lancers (see multiple entries in the book ‘Head Dress Of The British Lancer’s 1816 To The Present’ by Rowe & Carman which illustrates & describes, in detail, the components & construction of Lance caps & page 96 which illustrates a 16th Lancers KC plate, the same as ours). The Lance Cap has the correct internal construction, skull and peak of black patent leather with waist of yellow cloth and red band. The rear has the correct brass metal ring & hook with 4 leaf mount. The cloth sides are covered in black cloth of the Regimental facing colour. Yellow cord with brass finials extends down the 4 angles. The cap has the correct green and yellow wool ball rosette with Kings Crown ‘QL XVI’ (Queens 16th Lancers) button and Lion’s head bosses with leather backed link chain. It has a brass plume boss with black horse hair plume. The cap is fitted with the correct King’s Crown metal rayed plate and badge comprising the correct Royal arms & pre WW1 battle Honours above banner ‘Sixteenth Lancers’. The Lance Cap is complete with original leather sweat band liner. The crown of the cap has a size label 6 5/8. The size is repeated in contemporary white paint on the liner. The cap has its original Lines. The price for this impressive Lance Cap to a Prestigious Lancer’s Regiment includes UK delivery. Sn 14666:8
£1,575.00

Victorian British 16th The Queen's Lancers Officer’s Lance Cap / Chapka With Gilt Fittings, Silvered Queen’s Crown Plate, With Pre Boer War Battle Honours Bullion Rosette & Black Cock's Tail Feather Plume. Sn 14666:7 - 14666:7
The 16th The Queen's Lancers was a Cavalry Regiment of the British Army, first raised in 1759. It saw service for two centuries, before being amalgamated with the 5th Royal Irish Lancers to form the 16th/5th Lancers) in 1922. The Regiment was raised in 1759 by Colonel John Burgoyne as the 16th Regiment of (Light) Dragoons, being the second of the new Regiments of Light Dragoons; it was also known as Burgoyne's Light Horse. The Regiment was closely involved, undertaking several cavalry charges, in the action leading up to the capture of the French Garrison of Belle Île in April 1761 during the Seven Years' War. It also made a major contribution to the British victories against the Spaniards at the Battle of Valencia de Alcántara in August 1762 and at the Battle of Vila Velha in October 1762 during the Anglo-Spanish War. In 1766 the Regiment was renamed after Queen Charlotte as the 2nd (or The Queen's) Regiment of (Light) Dragoons, the number being an attempt to create a new numbering system for the Light Dragoon Regiments. However, the old system was quickly re-established, with the Regiment returning as the 16th (The Queen's) Regiment of (Light) Dragoons in 1769. The Regiment arrived in New York in October 1776 for service in the American Revolutionary War. It was involved in fighting at the Battle of White Plains in October 1776, the Battle of Brandywine in September 1777 and the Battle of Germantown in October 1777 before seeing more action at the Battle of Crooked Billet in May 1778, the Battle of Barren Hill later that month and the Battle of Monmouth in June 1778. The Regiment returned to England in spring 1779. The Regiment next landed at Ostend in April 1793 for service in the Flanders Campaign and was present at the Siege of Valenciennes in June 1793, the Siege of Dunkirk in August 1793 and the Siege of Landrecies in April 1794. It also took part in the Battle of Beaumont in April 1794, the Battle of Willems in May 1794 and the Battle of Tournay in later that month before returning to England in February 1796. The Regiment was then based in Ireland between autumn 1802 and 1805. During the Napoleonic Wars the Regiment were ordered to support Sir Arthur Wellesley's Army on the Iberian Peninsula and landed at Lisbon in April 1809. The Regiment fought at the Second Battle of Porto in May 1809, the Battle of Talavera in July 1809 and the Siege of Ciudad Rodrigo in April 1810. The Regiment also saw action at the Battle of Bussaco in September 1810 the Battle of Sabugal in April 1811 and the Battle of Fuentes de Oñoro in May 1811. It next fought at the Battle of Salamanca in July 1812, the Siege of Burgos in September 1812 and the Battle of Vitoria in June 1813. It was next in action at the Siege of San Sebastián in August 1813 and having advanced into France, at the Battle of Nivelle in November 1813. The regiment took part in the Hundred Days landing at Ostend in May 1815. It charged with John Vandeleur's Cavalry Brigade at the Battle of Waterloo in June 1815. After the battle, their commander, Lieutenant-colonel James Hay, lay so badly injured that he could not be moved from the field for eight days. The Regiment had been the sole British Cavalry Regiment to serve throughout the Peninsular War and at the Hundred Days. In the Victorian era, the Regiment was dispatched to Ireland in March 1816 where it was re-designated as a Lancer Regiment in September 1816, becoming the 16th (The Queen's) Regiment of (Light) Dragoons (Lancers). It returned from Ireland in June 1819 and was sent to India in 1822 where it saw action, using lances, against the Marathas at the Siege of Bharatpur in January 1826. It saw action again at the capture of Ghuznee in July 1839 during the First Anglo-Afghan War and at the Battle of Maharajpore in December 1843 during the Gwalior Campaign. It also took part in the Battle of Aliwal in January 1846, when the Regiment charged and dispersed a body of Sikhs ten times its size, and also fought at the Battle of Sobraon in February 1846 during the First Anglo-Sikh War. The Regiment’s title was simplified to the 16th (The Queen's) Lancers in 1861. It served in India between 1865 and 1876 and again between 1890 and 1899. Prior to the Boer Wars 1899-1902 the Regiment was awarded Battle Honours: Talavera, Fuentes d'Onor, Salamanca, Vittoria, Nive, Peninsula, Waterloo, Bhurtpore, Ghuznee 1839, Afghanistan 1839, Maharajpore, Aliwal, Sobraon. This is a scarce, original, Cavalry Officer’s Lance Cap of the 16th The Queen's Lancers (see multiple entries including pages 77 to 80 of the book ‘Head Dress Of The British Lancer’s 1816 To The Present’ by Rowe & Carman which illustrates & describes, in detail, the components & construction of Lance caps & Victorian 16th Lancer’s plates similar to ours). The Lance Cap has the correct internal construction, skull and peak of black patent leather with waist of Gold lace and red band. The rear has the correct gilt metal ring & hook with 4 leaf mount. The peak is adorned with gold purl. The cloth top and sides are covered in black cloth of the Regimental facing colour. Gold cord extends across the top of the cap and down the 4 angles. The cap has the correct bullion ‘VR (Victoria Regina) rosette on a field of red and Lion’s head bosses with velvet backed link chain. It has a brass plume boss with dramatic correct black Cock's tail feather plume. The cap is fitted with the correct Victorian gilt metal rayed plate and silvered badge comprising the correct Victorian Crown Royal arms & correct pre Boer War Battle honours above banner ‘Sixteenth Lancers’. The Lance Cap is complete with original leather sweat band and silk liner which has become detached. The sweatband is complete but has service wear to be expected. The cap is approx UK size 6 1/2. The price for this impressive Lance Cap to a Prestigious Lancer’s Regiment includes UK delivery. Sn 14666:7
£3,750.00

Victorian, British WD 12th (The Prince of Wales's) Royal Regiment of Lancers.Trooper’s Lance Cap / Chapka, Queens Crown Plate With Pre 1899 Battle Honours, Rosette With Scarlet Horse Hair Plume & Lines. Sn 14666:6 - 14666:6
The 12th (The Prince of Wales's) Royal Regiment of Lancers, was a Cavalry Regiment of the British Army first formed in 1715. It saw service for three centuries, including the First World War and the Second World War. The Regiment survived the immediate post-war reduction in forces, but was amalgamated with the 9th Queen's Royal Lancers to form the 9th/12th Royal Lancers (Prince of Wales's) in 1960. The Regiment of Dragoons was raised in Reading by Brigadier-General Phineas Bowles as the Phineas Bowles's Regiment of Dragoons in July 1715 as part of the response to the Jacobite rebellion. In 1718, the Regiment was placed on the Irish establishment and posted to Ireland, where it remained for 75 years. In 1751, the Regiment was officially styled the 12th Dragoons. In 1768, King George III bestowed the badge of the three ostrich feathers and the motto "Ich Dien" on the regiment and re-titled it as The 12th (Prince of Wales's) Regiment of (Light) Dragoons. A young Arthur Wellesley joined the Regiment as a subaltern in 1789. The Regiment took part in the Siege of Bastia in April 1794, which took place in Corsica, during the French Revolutionary Wars. Pope Pius VI was impressed by the conduct of the Regiment and ordered that medals be awarded to its officers. The Regiment landed at Alexandria in March 1801 and saw action at the Battle of Alexandria later in the month. The Regiment, captured 28 officers and 570 other ranks of the French Dromedary Regiment in an action in the Egyptian desert in May 1801. It took part in the Siege of Cairo securing the city in June 1801 and then participated in the Siege of Alexandria taking that city in September 1801. The Regiment next deployed for the disastrous Walcheren Campaign in autumn 1809. In June 1811 the Regiment embarked for Lisbon and took part in the Siege of Ciudad Rodrigo in January 1812, the Siege of Badajoz in March 1812 and the Battle of Villagarcia in April 1812 during the Peninsular War. It also undertook two charges at the Battle of Salamanca in July 1812 before taking part in the Siege of Burgos in September 1812,the Battle of Vitoria in June 1813 and the Siege of San Sebastián in autumn 1813. The Regiment next advanced into France and supported the infantry at the Battle of Nivelle in November 1813. During the Waterloo Campaign, the Regiment was attached to Sir John Vandeleur's Light Cavalry Brigade. At the Battle of Waterloo in June 1815, the Regiment charged down the slope to support the Union Brigade of Medium Cavalry. In 1816, the 12th Light Dragoons was armed with Lances after the Cavalry of Napoleon's Army had shown their effectiveness at Waterloo and were re-titled 12th (The Prince of Wales's) Regiment of (Light) Dragoons (Lancers). In 1855, it reinforced the Light Cavalry Brigade in the Crimea after the Charge of the Light Brigade at the Battle of Balaclava. In 1861, the Regiment was renamed 12th (The Prince of Wales's) Royal Regiment of Lancers. The Regiment was stationed in India between 1857 and 1860 in response to the Indian Rebellion and in Ireland from 1865 to 1870, before fighting in the Second Anglo-Afghan War in the late 1870s. The Regiment went on to serve and see action in the Boer wars 1899-1902, WW1 and WW2. Prior to the Boer Wars the Regiment was awarded the following Battle Honours: Egypt, Salamanca, Peninsula, Waterloo, South Africa 1851-2-3, Sevastopol, Central India. This is an original, Victorian Trooper’s Lance Cap of the 12th (The Prince of Wales's) Royal Regiment of Lancers (see multiple entries including pages 13, 19,128 & 129 in the book ‘Head Dress Of The British Lancer’s 1816 To The Present’ by Rowe & Carman which illustrates & describes head wear and badges as worn by the 12th Lancers). The Lance Cap has the correct internal construction, skull and peak of black patent leather with correct yellow and black cloth waistband. The rear has the correct brass ring & hook. The sides are covered in scarlet facing cloth. Yellow twisted rope piping with ornate brass finials extends down the 4 angles. The cap has the correct green & yellow wool ball rosette with Crown and ‘12’ (12th Lancers) gilt button and Lion’s head bosses with correct leather backed link brass chain. It has a brass plume boss with correct scarlet horse hair plume. The cap is fitted with original cord lines and correct rayed plate and badge comprising the Queen’s Crown Royal arms, Prince of Wales Feathers and pre Boer War Battle honour banners together with Sphinx on plinth Egypt Honour. The cap is complete with original leather sweat band liner. The crown of the inside of the cap has a partially visible ink stamp and WD arrow mark (all illustrated inset in image 2). The cap is approx UK size 6 1/2. The price for this impressive Lance Cap to a Prestigious Lancer’s Regiment includes UK delivery. Sn 14666:6
£1,575.00

**SOLD**SOLD**4/10**Post 1902 British 9th Queen’s Royal Lancers Trooper’s Lance Cap / Chapka Kings Crown Plate, KC Rosette With Black & White Horse Hair Plume. Sn 14666:4 - 14666:4
The 9th Queen's Royal Lancers was a Cavalry Regiment of the British Army, first raised in 1715. It saw service for three centuries, including the First and Second World Wars. The Regiment survived the immediate post-war reduction in forces, but was amalgamated with the 12th Royal Lancers to form the 9th/12th Royal Lancers in 1960. The Regiment was formed by Major-General Owen Wynne as Owen Wynne's Regiment of Dragoons in Bedford in 1715 as part of the response to the Jacobite rising. The Regiment's first action was to attack the Jacobite forces in Wigan in late 1715. In 1717 the Regiment embarked for Ballinrobe, in Ireland, and was placed on the Irish establishment. The Regiment was ranked as the 9th Dragoons in 1719, re-titled as the 9th Regiment of Dragoons in 1751 and converted into Light Dragoons, becoming the 9th Regiment of (Light) Dragoons in 1783. The Regiment fought at the Battle of Kilcullen, inflicting severe losses on the rebels, on 24 May 1798 and at the Battle of Carlow on 25 May 1798, when they successfully ambushed the rebels, during the Irish Rebellion. The Regiment also saw action at the Battle of Vinegar Hill on 21 June 1798. The Regiment took part in Sir Samuel Auchmuty's disastrous expedition to the River Plate in October 1806, including the occupation of Montevideo in February 1807 during the Anglo-Spanish War. It then took part in the equally unsuccessful Walcheren Campaign in autumn 1809: a total of 152 men from the Regiment died of fever during that campaign. The Regiment then embarked for Portugal and fought at the Battle of Arroyo dos Molinos, capturing General De Brune of the French Army, in October 1811 during the Peninsular War. It was also part of the force involved in the Siege of Badajoz in March 1812. In April 1813, the Regiment returned to England. They were re-designated as a Lancer formation in 1816 and became the 9th (or Queen's Royal) Lancers in honour of Queen Adelaide in 1830 (Queen Adelaide was the Queen Consort of King Willianm IV and the Regiment was awarded the privilege of bearing her Royal Cypher). The Regiment was posted to India in 1842. It saw action at the Battle of Punniar in December 1843 during the Gwalior Campaign. It also fought at the Battle of Sobraon in February 1846 during the First Anglo-Sikh War and undertook a successful charge at the Battle of Gujrat in February 1849 during the Second Anglo-Sikh War. The Regiment then fought at the siege and capture of Delhi and the relief of Lucknow in summer 1857, as well as the capture of Lucknow in spring 1858 during the Indian Rebellion: the Regiment, which was described by the rebels as the Delhi Spearmen, was awarded twelve Victoria Crosses. The Regiment was renamed the 9th (The Queen's Royal) Lancers in 1861. The Regiment was posted to Afghanistan in 1878 and marched through the Khyber Pass in March 1879 as part of the Cavalry Brigade led by General Hugh Henry Gough. Following the murder of the British ambassador and his guards at Kabul in September 1879, the Regiment saw action at the Battle of Charasiab in October 1879. During the Second Anglo-Afghan War. The Commanding Officer of the Regiment, Lieutenant-Colonel Robert Cleland, was killed while leading a charge at the Battle of Killa Kazi in December 1879. A Squadron from the Regiment took part in the Second Battle of Charasiab in April 1880 and the Regiment, as a whole, undertook the long march, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Henry Bushman, leading to the relief of Kandahar and defeat of Ayub Khan in September 1880. The Regiment saw much action in the Boer wars 1899-1902 and were involved in the Relief of Kimberley in winter 1899 and subsequent Battle of Paardeberg. Prior to WW1 the Regiment were awarded the following Battle Honours : Peninsula, Punniar, Sobraon, Chillianwallah, Goojerat, Punjaub, Delhi 1857, Lucknow, Charasiah, Kabul 1879, Kandahar 1880, Afghanistan 1878-80, Modder River, Relief of Kimberley, Paardeberg, South Africa 1899-1902. This is an original, Trooper’s Lance Cap of the 9th Queen’s Royal Lancer's (see multiple entries including pages 18 & 63 to 66 in the book ‘Head Dress Of The British Lancer’s 1816 To The Present’ by Rowe & Carman which illustrates & describes head wear and badges of the 9th Royal / Queen’s Royal Lancers). The Lance Cap has the correct internal construction, skull and peak of black patent leather with correct brass rope effect waist. The rear has the correct brass ring & hook. The sides are covered in black facing cloth. Brass piping with ornate finials extends down the 4 angles. The cap has the correct brass rosette with Crown and ‘9’ (9th Lancer’s) brass button and Lion’s head bosses with correct leather backed link brass chain. It has a brass plume boss with black & white horse hair plume. The cap is fitted with correct rayed plate and badge comprising the King’s Crown Royal arms, Queen Adelaide ‘AR’ Royal cypher and Battle honours up to and including the Boer War above banner ‘Royal Lancers’. The cap is complete with original leather sweat band. The cap is approx UK size 6 1/2. The price for this Trooper’s Lance Cap to a Prestigious Lancer’s Regiment includes UK delivery. Sn 14666:4
£0.00

Victorian Pre 1899, British 9th Queen’s Royal Lancer's Officer’s Lance Cap / Chapka By Cate & Co London With Gilt & Silvered Queen’s Crown Plate & Bullion Rosette With Black & White Swan’s Feather Plume. Sn 14666:2 - 14666:2
The 9th Queen's Royal Lancers was a Cavalry Regiment of the British Army, first raised in 1715. It saw service for three centuries, including the First and Second World Wars. The Regiment survived the immediate post-war reduction in forces, but was amalgamated with the 12th Royal Lancers to form the 9th/12th Royal Lancers in 1960. The Regiment was formed by Major-General Owen Wynne as Owen Wynne's Regiment of Dragoons in Bedford in 1715 as part of the response to the Jacobite rising. The Regiment's first action was to attack the Jacobite forces in Wigan in late 1715. In 1717 the Regiment embarked for Ballinrobe, in Ireland, and was placed on the Irish establishment. The Regiment was ranked as the 9th Dragoons in 1719, re-titled as the 9th Regiment of Dragoons in 1751 and converted into Light Dragoons, becoming the 9th Regiment of (Light) Dragoons in 1783. The Regiment fought at the Battle of Kilcullen, inflicting severe losses on the rebels, on 24 May 1798 and at the Battle of Carlow on 25 May 1798, when they successfully ambushed the rebels, during the Irish Rebellion. The Regiment also saw action at the Battle of Vinegar Hill on 21 June 1798. The Regiment took part in Sir Samuel Auchmuty's disastrous expedition to the River Plate in October 1806, including the occupation of Montevideo in February 1807 during the Anglo-Spanish War. It then took part in the equally unsuccessful Walcheren Campaign in autumn 1809: a total of 152 men from the Regiment died of fever during that campaign. The Regiment then embarked for Portugal and fought at the Battle of Arroyo dos Molinos, capturing General De Brune of the French Army, in October 1811 during the Peninsular War. It was also part of the force involved in the Siege of Badajoz in March 1812. In April 1813, the Regiment returned to England. They were re-designated as a Lancer formation in 1816 and became the 9th (or Queen's Royal) Lancers in honour of Queen Adelaide in 1830 (Queen Adelaide was the Queen Consort of King Willianm IV and the Regiment was awarded the privilege of bearing her Royal Cypher). The Regiment was posted to India in 1842. It saw action at the Battle of Punniar in December 1843 during the Gwalior Campaign. It also fought at the Battle of Sobraon in February 1846 during the First Anglo-Sikh War and undertook a successful charge at the Battle of Gujrat in February 1849 during the Second Anglo-Sikh War. The Regiment then fought at the siege and capture of Delhi and the relief of Lucknow in summer 1857, as well as the capture of Lucknow in spring 1858 during the Indian Rebellion: the Regiment, which was described by the rebels as the Delhi Spearmen, was awarded twelve Victoria Crosses. The Regiment was renamed the 9th (The Queen's Royal) Lancers in 1861. The Regiment was posted to Afghanistan in 1878 and marched through the Khyber Pass in March 1879 as part of the Cavalry Brigade led by General Hugh Henry Gough. Following the murder of the British ambassador and his guards at Kabul in September 1879, the Regiment saw action at the Battle of Charasiab in October 1879. During the Second Anglo-Afghan War. The Commanding Officer of the Regiment, Lieutenant-Colonel Robert Cleland, was killed while leading a charge at the Battle of Killa Kazi in December 1879. A Squadron from the Regiment took part in the Second Battle of Charasiab in April 1880 and the Regiment, as a whole, undertook the long march, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Henry Bushman, leading to the relief of Kandahar and defeat of Ayub Khan in September 1880. The Regiment saw much action in the Boer wars 1899-1902 and were involved in the Relief of Kimberley in winter 1899 and subsequent Battle of Paardeberg. Prior to WW1 the Regiment were awarded the following Battle Honours : Peninsula, Punniar, Sobraon, Chillianwallah, Goojerat, Punjaub, Delhi 1857, Lucknow, Charasiah, Kabul 1879, Kandahar 1880, Afghanistan 1878-80, Modder River, Relief of Kimberley, Paardeberg, South Africa 1899-1902. This is a scarce, original, Cavalry Officer’s 1856 Pattern Lance Cap of the 9th Queen’s Royal Lancer's (see multiple entries including pages 18 & 63 to 66 in the book ‘Head Dress Of The British Lancer’s 1816 To The Present’ by Rowe & Carman which illustrates & describes head wear and badges of the 9th Royal / Queen’s Royal Lancers). The Lance Cap has the correct internal construction, skull and peak of black patent leather with correct gilt brass rope effect waist. The rear has the correct gilt metal ring & hook. The peak has a brass rim. The sides are covered in black facing cloth. Gilt brass piping with ornate finials extends down the 4 angles. The cap has the correct bullion rosette with Crown gilt button marked '9' (9th Lancers) and Lion’s head bosses with correct leather backed link gilt chain. It has a brass plume boss with dramatic black & white Swan’s Feather plume. The cap is fitted with the correct Victorian gilt metal rayed plate and gilt badge comprising the correct Queen’s Crown Royal arms, pre Boer War Battle honours and correct silvered Queen Adelaide Regina stylised ‘AR’ Royal Cypher above banner ‘Royal Lancers’. The cap is complete with original leather sweat band and silk liner which has a gold leaf maker’s or outfitters mark ‘Cater & Co London Established 1776’ (illustrated). The cap is approx UK size 6 1/2. The price for this impressive Lance Cap to a Prestigious Lancer’s Regiment includes UK delivery. Sn 14666:2
£3,545.00

**JUST IN** MAGNIFICENT COLLECTION OF ORIGINAL VICTORIAN & POST 1903 KING’S CROWN BRITISH CAVALRY OFFICER’S & TROOPER’S LANCE CAPS & LANCER’S UNIFORMS. Sn 14666 - 14666
This superb collection of original Lance caps and Lancer’s Uniforms has just arrived. The Uniforms are in the same splendid condition as the caps shown in the images but we have not yet unpacked them. The collection comprises: 17th troopers cap 12th lancer toppers cap x2 16th lancers officers cap with uniform 16th lancers officers cap only 16th lancers troopers cap 21st lancers officers cap early Victorian 21st lancers cap troopers 5th Royal Irish lancers officers cap 9th lancers officers cap 9th lancers troopers x2 Lancer band cap modern one of only 14 commissioned; made using traditional methods complete with certificate. The caps and uniforms will be listed individually in due course but should you wish to enquire about or buy one or more of the caps / uniforms, or even purchase the whole collection please contact for prices. Telephone us direct 0161-476-0436 or e-mail jc.militaria@btinternet.com
£0.00

Original, WW2 British Parachute Regiment Red Beret With Kings Crown Para Cap Badge To Para 6162000. Stock Number HE 865 - HE 865
This is an excellent original Para Red Beret With KC Para Regiment badge to Para 6162000. The Red Beret is in excellent undamaged condition with all material intact. It is mounted with the original correct metal KC Para Regiment badge. The rear of the badge is nicely stamped with service number 6162000 and is mounted against a patch of Denison smock. The crown of the beret has a stitched patch of Denison with printed matching service number. The beret is approx. UK size 6. The price for this WW2 Para beret worthy of further research re the paratroopers service number includes UK delivery. HE 865
£1,200.00
Previous 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Page 3 of 9