Items: 0 Price: £0    
view cart

Antique Pistols and Revolvers

Previous 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  Next Page 3 of 13

RARE, 1856-1874, American Wild West Era Merwin & Bray New York Single Shot .30 Rim Fire Calibre, Brass Framed Derringer With Octagonal Pivot Barrel. Sn 14247 - 14247
The American Joseph Merwin was involved with marketing and manufacturing revolvers as early as 1856. Based in New York City he formed an arms company known as Merwin & Bray. The company ceased trading under that name by 1874. This is an excellent example of the Merwin & Bray derringer which are hard to find. It has a brass frame with even patina & original American Walnut grip which has just the knocks bumps and bruises consistent with age. It has a 3 ¾” octagonal steel barrel & measures 6 ¾” overall. The bore has faint rifling & staining consistent with age & use. It has a sheathed trigger and brass blade foresight. The rear sight consists of a notch in the hammer spur. The top of the barrel is signed by the manufacturer ‘Merwin & Bray New York’. The derringer's loading and firing actions work perfectly. There are no other visible external manufacturer marks or numbers on this piece. The barrel pivots for loading at half cock and the barrel is released for loading by depression of a small steel button on the underside of the action. Price for hard to find Wild West era derringer includes UK delivery. NB As an antique obsolete calibre derringer no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 14247
£675.00

American Wild West Era, Ethan Allen’s 1845 Patent Top Bar Hammer .30” Smooth Bore Muzzle Loading Single Shot Derringer. Sn 14241 - 14241
The American Gunsmith and inventor Ethan Allen of Worcester Massachusetts held 22 firearms patents in the mid 1800’s. His 16th April 1845 top bar hammer patent was used on derringers, pepperbox pistols and other revolvers by a number of U.S. manufacturer’s. This is an original wild west era Allen’s 1845 patent bar hammer muzzle loading derringer. It has a steel frame, with steel trigger guard and 2 ¼” half round, half octagonal barrel and measures a diminutive 5” overall length. The metalwork has even patina. The barrel is .30” smoothbore. The bore has staining consistent with age and use. Its American Rosewood grip has just knocks bumps and bruises consistent with age. The underside of the barrel and trigger guard are numbered ‘179’. The left side of the hammer is stamped ‘Patented April 16 1845’. There are no other external manufacturer marks visible on this piece. The double action firing mechanism works perfectly. The price includes UK delivery. NB As an antique muzzle loading derringer no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 14241
£395.00

Victorian, Williams & Powell, Liverpool British Officer’s Private Purchase Short Sea Service Customs/ Revenue .600 Bore Percussion Pistol With Captive Ram Rod & Belt Bar. Sn 14232 - 14232
Thomas Williams & Samuel Powell were English Gunsmiths based in Liverpool. Their business was established in 1780 and the Company traded under that name until C1909 (the original partnership lasted until 1846). The original partnership is recorded as having premises at various Liverpool addresses including 10 Pool Lane Liverpool, South Castle Street. Later addresses after 1846 include Thomas Street, Old Hall Street, 25 & 27 South Castle Street, Old Hall Street & Finally C1909 1 Exchange Street West (see page 368 of Brown’s book ‘British Gunmakers Vol. 2’). This is an excellent original Officer’s private purchase, Short Sea Service Customs / Revenue percussion pistol by Williams & Powell. It is 12” overall length with a 6” barrel which is .600" smooth bore. The bore is clean with no pitting. The Walnut stock is excellent with brass furniture & is undamaged with just the bumps & bruises to be expected. It has its original captive ram rod & the barrel has proof marks. The brass butt plate is fitted with lanyard ring. The stock fitted with steel belt bar. The side plate is signed ‘Williams & Powell’. The action functions perfectly. As an antique percussion pistol no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a display or collection. Price includes UK delivery. Sn 14232
£875.00

SOLD SOLD SOLD Cased, Victorian C1850's 1st Type Deane Adams & Deane London (Makers To HRH Prince Albert) .32 Calibre Five Shot Double Action Percussion Revolver With Spurless Hammer & Octagonal Barrel With Accessories Including - 14154
The famous English gunsmith's Deane Adams and Deane had premises at 30 King William Street, London Bridge, London in 1852. Until the arrival of Samuel Colt at the Great Exhibition of 1851 with his display of percussion revolvers, British gun makers had largely neglected this style of weapon except for pepperbox revolvers. The arrival of Colt with his American methods of promoting business caused much resentment in the British gun trade. The outcome was a surge in quality revolver design and production by British makers including Deane Adams & Deane. This is an excellent, original, cased, 1st type, Deane Adams & Deane 5 shot percussion revolver. The weapon's double action firing mechanism work as it should. It has a 4 ½” octagonal barrel (9 ¼” overall). The barrel has a small blade fore sight & notched plate rear sight. The top of the frame is crisply marked 'Deane Adams & Deane Makers To HRH Prince Albert 30 King William Street, London Bridge' and has Victorian black powder proofs. It has foliate engraving to the frame & trigger guard. The frame is engraved ‘Adams Patent’ and partially legible ‘No. 5771?’1. Its finely chequered walnut grip is in great undamaged condition. The pistol's metal work is undamaged with original finish. The pistol is contained in its original wood case with hinged lid. The top of the lid is inlaid with a void central brass plate. The case has a brass lock (key absent). The inside of the lid has an original Deane Adams & Deane trade label. The case is lined with rich red felt and has compartments which contain accessories including a ‘Joyce & Co London’ labelled percussion cap tin which contains a quantity of percussion caps, a brass and steel double bullet mould for 1x lead ball and 1x lead conical bullet, a small quantity of .32 calibre lead balls and cloth wadding patches . Interestingly, also included is a copper and brass black powder flask which was found with the pistol. The flask is marked ‘James Dixon & Sons Sheffield’ and also has a British War Dept WD with arrow mark on the brass neck. The flask is without open/ close spring. The price for this cased pistol with accessories includes UK delivery. NB As an antique percussion revolver no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 14154
£0.00

Early 1800’s English T.H. Bolton London 54 Bore Brass Flintlock Pocket Pistol With Screw Off Barrel. Sn 14146 - 14146
This is an excellent brass flintlock pocket pistol made in the early 1800’s. Its brass barrel is 3” in length. The front 2 ¼” of the barrel section screws off and the pistol measures 7" overall. The underside of the barrel has proof marks. Its action has engraved oval panels on the left and right sides. The left panel is signed by the manufacturer ‘T.H. Bolton’, the fight ‘London’. Its steel trigger guard is engraved with an oval foliate design. It has a steel hammer. The pistol's bag shaped wood grip is undamaged. The pistol cocks and dry fires perfectly. The pistol is worthy of further research re the maker who we have been unable to find any record of. The price includes UK delivery. NB as an antique flintlock pistol no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 14146
£475.00

SOLD SOLD (LAY-AWAY) Early 1800’s Pair Of 22 Bore Flintlock Belt Pistols By Egg London Converted To Percussion With Octagonal Damascus Steel Barrels & Walnut Full Stocks. Sn 14145 - 14145
Durs Egg (1748–1831) was a Swiss-born British gunmaker, noted for his quality pistols and for his company's production of the Ferguson rifle. Egg was apprenticed in Solothurn and Paris before establishing his own business in London in 1772. He was a contemporary of Joseph Manton, Jean Samuel Pauly and the uncle of Joseph Egg. When the famous gunsmith Durs Egg died in 1831 his Son John Egg took over the business operating at Haymarket London. In 1839 The business name reverted to Durs Egg at 4 Pall Mall London until 1854 then at 4 Colonnade Pall Mall from 1855 to 1865. This is a best quality pair of flintlock belt pistols converted to percussion by Egg. The matching pistols are beautifully engraved with a foliate design on the action plates, hammers trigger guards, butt caps and action tangs. The actions both have double silver bands. The action plates are both signed by the manufacturer 'Egg’ (London). Both measure 9" overall & have beautiful 4 ½” browned damascus steel octagonal barrels which are 22 bore. The bores are clean and bright. Both pistols have blued steel belt bars. The trigger guards, ram rod mounts and pommel caps are also blued. Both pistols have sliding bolt safety catches and are both numbered ‘1087’ which is engraved on their trigger guards. They both have undamaged attractive full walnut stocks with chequered panels at the grip. The back of each stock is inlaid with silvered escutcheons which feature ‘an arm holding a lighted torch’ motif, most likely a family crest or coat of arms. The pistols have their original wood ramrods with steel worms and horn end caps. Their cocking & firing actions work as they should. Price for this pair of nicely marked pistols worthy of further research re the family crest includes UK delivery. NB No licence is required to own these antique percussion pistols in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 14145
£0.00

RARE, Victorian C1860 Tranter's Patent Double Action, Double Trigger .54" Bore 5 Shot Percussion Revolver Retailed By Thomas Blissett Liverpool. A 576 - A 576
The Tranter revolver is a double & single action black powder cap & ball revolver invented around 1856 by English firearms designer William Tranter (1816 - 1890). Originally operated with a special dual-trigger mechanism (one to rotate the cylinder and cock the gun, a second to fire it) later models employed a single-trigger mechanism. The hammer on this double trigger Tranter has no spur and therefore could not be cocked with the thumb. To fire the weapon in the Single Action mode, the lower trigger is pressed, which pulls the hammer back and rotates the cylinder, at this point the gun can be fired with a light pull on the upper trigger. To fire more rapidly both triggers are pulled simultaneously, making it a double action weapon. Famous users of Tranter revolvers included Allan Pinkerton, founder of the Pinkerton Detective Agency and the Confederate General James Ewell Brown Stuart. This is an excellent example of the Tranter Patent revolver in .54 Bore. It measures 12" overall with a 6" octagonal barrel with blade foresight and notch 'v' plate rear sight. The barrel has a clean bore with crisp rifling. The pistol has the correct double trigger feature and captive lever ram rod. The pistol's frame, butt & trigger guard have foliate engraved decoration and the top of the frame is signed ‘Thos Blisset South Castle Street Liverpool’. Thomas Blissett was an English Gunsmith with premises at 38 South castle Street and 11 Water Street, Liverpool between 1834 and 1870 (see page 174 of Brown’s book British Gunmakers Vol 2). The trigger assembly and ramrod are crisply stamped 'Tranter Patent'. It's finely chequered Walnut grip is in excellent undamaged condition. The firing action works perfectly. Price for this piece of history includes UK delivery. NB As an antique percussion pistol no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. A 576.
£1,875.00

QUALITY, C1860 W&J Rigby Dublin Ireland .500” Bore Percussion Overcoat Pistol With Captive Ram Rod. Sn 14091 - 14091
John Rigby & Company (or John Rigby & Co. (Gunmakers) Ltd) is the oldest gunmaking firm in continuous operation in the English-speaking world. Rigby has a distinguished history of technological advancement for both sporting and military application. Rigby rifles, guns and pistols have played prominent roles throughout the British Empire and particularly in Asia and Africa. The company was established by the first John Rigby in Dublin, Ireland in 1775. After the founding John Rigby's death, in 1818, his sons William and John Jason Rigby operated the business as W. & J. Rigby from circa 1820 to 1865, a period that spanned flintlock, percussion, pinfire and needlefire ignition and marked the start of the modern metallic cartridge era. Rigby was a leader in barrel-making and rifling technology and, at the time, it was also recognised for its high grade duelling pistols. This is a fine quality W&J Rigby Dublin percussion overcoat pistol, made around 1860. It is a sturdy pistol, 8 ½” overall length with a 4” heavy steel barrel. The smooth bore is clean with no pitting. The round steel barrel has a flat barrel rib crisply marked ‘Dublin’. The stock is made from Walnut and it has brass furniture. It has its original captive steel ram rod. The action is engraved 'W&J Rigby' and works perfectly. The price includes UK delivery. NB. As an antique percussion pistol no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as a part of a collection or display. Sn 14061
£895.00

AS FOUND UN-MESSED WITH, RARE, Victorian English C1860’s Patrick Of Liverpool .700” Bore Percussion Holster Pistol To The Liverpool River Police. Sn 14055 - 14055
The River Mersey has borne silent witness to much over the years, non more so than during the American Civil War, the North of England supported the Confederacy due to its reliance on the Cotton producing South. So in addittion to the normal lawlessness one would associate with a Seaport the size of Liverpool, there was the intrigue associated with the support of the Confederate States of America (The CSA Embassy was in Rumford Place, Liverpool 2) including the Smuggling of General goods and the illegal transportation of Gunpowder. At a meeting of the Liverpool Borough Police Watch Committee on the 12th January 1865, upon the recommendation of the Head Constable, the Mersey Docks and Harbour Company agreed to fund a River (Mersey) Police. The River Police was formed in June 1865, with the responsibility of patrolling the river itself. Its initial strength consisted of one Inspector, three Sergeants and thirteen Constables. The main duties of the New Force related to the movement of Cargo and Policing of general movement of Seamen, Cargo and Explosives. Volatile Explosives and ammunition would be removed by the River Police and would be taken to the Magazines at New Brighton. Although a part of the Borough Police, the officers of the River Police wore a separate distinctive Badge and collar dogs. These would be worn on a Naval style double breasted reefer coat. The main working uniform of men was normal uniform issue trousers and a thick Naval Pullover with the Police logo and in some instances the officers number thereon. The role of the River Police was a dangerous one as the duties entailed weaving in and out of the shipping lanes, boarding moving boats and the rescue of persons in distress. This is a rare .700” bore percussion holster pistol marked to the Liverpool River Police. It is 15 ½” overall with a 9" round steel barrel. The barrel has black powder proof marks and it has a clean smooth bore with no pitting. It has a heavy Dolphin hammer and brass furniture. The side plate is engraved by the manufacturer 'Patrick Warranted' (Jeremiah Patrick was an English Liverpool based Gunsmith between 1795-1814. The business was then taken on by Edward Patrick between 1814-1820 & finally by Ann Patrick into the mid 1800’s. The top of the barrel is crisply engraved ‘River Police Liverpool’ and one side of the brass butt cap is engraved ‘B/17’ (weapon number or Police designation). The pistol is as found and un-messed with. As is common with these pistols its ram rod is absent. The metal has no damage and even patina. The wood has just the knocks bumps and bruises to be expected with age and service use. The price for this nicely marked historic River Police pistol includes UK delivery. NB As an antique percussion pistol no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as a part of a collection or display. Sn 14055
£1,450.00

Victorian, English 1840-1850 John Cunningham, Manchester 20 Bore, Percussion Police Pistol With Silver Shield Escutcheon To No.5 Division, Cheshire Constabulary With Belt Bar & Octagonal Barrel. Sn 14054 - 14054
John Cunningham was an English Gunmaker with premises at 3 Broad Street Pendleton & Quay Steet, Manchester between 1840 & 1850. This is an original Victorian, Mid 1800's Victorian, Police percussion pistol by Cunningham. It is 12” overall length with a 6” browned octagonal barrel which is 15.66mm muzzle diameter (approx. 20 Bore). The smooth bore is clean with no pitting. The barrel has a small brass blade fore sight. The Walnut furniture is a nice deep brown with chequered grip and steel furniture. The wood is undamaged with just the bumps & bruises to be expected with age and service use. It has its original wood ram rod with threaded end and brass cap. The side plate is marked 'Cunningham Manchester'. The top of the wrist has a nice inlaid silver shield escutcheon crisply engraved '5 Divn Cheshire Constabulary'. The action functions perfectly. Price for this sought after Police percussion pistol includes UK delivery. NB As an antique percussion pistol no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a display or collection. Sn 14054
£1,450.00
Previous 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  Next Page 3 of 13