Items: 0 Price: £0    
view cart

Antique Pistols and Revolvers

Previous 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next Page 12 of 17

RESERVED RESERVED AS FOUND UN-MESSED WITH, RARE, Victorian English C1860’s Patrick Of Liverpool .700” Bore Percussion Holster Pistol To The Liverpool River Police. Sn 14055 - 14055
The River Mersey has borne silent witness to much over the years, non more so than during the American Civil War, the North of England supported the Confederacy due to its reliance on the Cotton producing South. So in addittion to the normal lawlessness one would associate with a Seaport the size of Liverpool, there was the intrigue associated with the support of the Confederate States of America (The CSA Embassy was in Rumford Place, Liverpool 2) including the Smuggling of General goods and the illegal transportation of Gunpowder. At a meeting of the Liverpool Borough Police Watch Committee on the 12th January 1865, upon the recommendation of the Head Constable, the Mersey Docks and Harbour Company agreed to fund a River (Mersey) Police. The River Police was formed in June 1865, with the responsibility of patrolling the river itself. Its initial strength consisted of one Inspector, three Sergeants and thirteen Constables. The main duties of the New Force related to the movement of Cargo and Policing of general movement of Seamen, Cargo and Explosives. Volatile Explosives and ammunition would be removed by the River Police and would be taken to the Magazines at New Brighton. Although a part of the Borough Police, the officers of the River Police wore a separate distinctive Badge and collar dogs. These would be worn on a Naval style double breasted reefer coat. The main working uniform of men was normal uniform issue trousers and a thick Naval Pullover with the Police logo and in some instances the officers number thereon. The role of the River Police was a dangerous one as the duties entailed weaving in and out of the shipping lanes, boarding moving boats and the rescue of persons in distress. This is a rare .700” bore percussion holster pistol marked to the Liverpool River Police. It is 15 ½” overall with a 9" round steel barrel. The barrel has black powder proof marks and it has a clean smooth bore with no pitting. It has a heavy Dolphin hammer and brass furniture. The side plate is engraved by the manufacturer 'Patrick Warranted' (Jeremiah Patrick was an English Liverpool based Gunsmith between 1795-1814. The business was then taken on by Edward Patrick between 1814-1820 & finally by Ann Patrick into the mid 1800’s. The top of the barrel is crisply engraved ‘River Police Liverpool’ and one side of the brass butt cap is engraved ‘B/17’ (weapon number or Police designation). The pistol is as found and un-messed with. As is common with these pistols its ram rod is absent. The metal has no damage and even patina. The wood has just the knocks bumps and bruises to be expected with age and service use. The price for this nicely marked historic River Police pistol includes UK delivery. NB As an antique percussion pistol no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as a part of a collection or display. Sn 14055
£1,250.00

Victorian, English 1840-1850 John Cunningham, Manchester 20 Bore, Percussion Police Pistol With Silver Shield Escutcheon To No.5 Division, Cheshire Constabulary With Belt Bar & Octagonal Barrel. Sn 14054 - 14054
John Cunningham was an English Gunmaker with premises at 3 Broad Street Pendleton & Quay Steet, Manchester between 1840 & 1850. This is an original Victorian, Mid 1800's Victorian, Police percussion pistol by Cunningham. It is 12” overall length with a 6” browned octagonal barrel which is 15.66mm muzzle diameter (approx. 20 Bore). The smooth bore is clean with no pitting. The barrel has a small brass blade fore sight. The Walnut furniture is a nice deep brown with chequered grip and steel furniture. The wood is undamaged with just the bumps & bruises to be expected with age and service use. It has its original wood ram rod with threaded end and brass cap. The side plate is marked 'Cunningham Manchester'. The top of the wrist has a nice inlaid silver shield escutcheon crisply engraved '5 Divn Cheshire Constabulary'. The action functions perfectly. Price for this sought after Police percussion pistol includes UK delivery. NB As an antique percussion pistol no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a display or collection. Sn 14054
£1,450.00

QUALITY, C1840 English William Parker London Constabulary Pattern .577” Regulation Bore Percussion Uniform / Overcoat Pistol With Octagonal Barrel To Holborn Police Office Lambeth (London). Sn 14061 - 14061
The gunsmith William Parker (1722-1841) is recorded as having premises at various premises in London between1793 & 1841 including 233 High Holborn, Chamber Street and Glass House yard. His Sons continued the business after his death in 1841 and the company later became the prestigious Parker Field, makers of quality firearms and edged weapons, many of which were supplied to the British Military & Police (see page 190 of Browns book ‘British Gunmakers Volume 1’ ). This is a fine quality William Parker of London Percussion Overcoat Pistol. Made around 1840, this is the type of pistol made by Parker and later Parker Field, that was routinely carried by Victorian Police Officers in London. It is a sturdy, heavy 4 1/2" octagonal barrelled pistol with smooth bore. It measures 8 ½” overall length. The bore is excellent, clean with no pitting. The top barrel flat is crisply marked ‘Holborn Police Office Lambeth’ (London). The stock is made from rich English Walnut with brass furniture. It has its original wood ram rod with horn end cap. The lock is engraved 'W.Parker' and the action with heavy Dolphin hammer and foliate engraved decoration works perfectly. The action has a safety bolt which operates at half cock. This is an excellent Victorian English Police pistol to a named Police Office by a quality maker. The price includes UK delivery. NB. As an antique percussion pistol no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as a part of a collection or display. Sn 14061
£1,450.00

1851-1852 English Witton Daw & Co London .650” Carbine Calibre Percussion Holster Pistol With Rifled Octagonal Barrel & Captive Ramrod. Sn 14042 - 14042
The English Gunsmiths Witton Daw & Co are recorded as having premises at 57 Threadneedle Street, London between 1851 & 1852 (see page 216 of British Gunmakers Vol.1 by Brown). This is an excellent percussion pistol by Witton Daw & Co. It is 14 ¾” overall with an 8 ¼” octagonal barrel. The top barrel flat is lightly signed ‘Witton Daw & Co Threadneedle St London’. The barrel’s bore has staining consistent with age and crisp well defined rifling. It’s steel side plate, Dolphin hammer, trigger guard with extended tang and acanthus bud finial & stepped butt plate with hinged trap have light foliate engraved decoration. The side plate is signed ‘Witton Daw & Co’. It has a blade fore sight and ‘v’ notch plate rear sight. It has a lovely walnut stock with chequered grip and inlaid German Silver escutcheon at the wrist. The pistol has its original captive steel ramrod. Its cocking and firing actions work as they should. The metal and wood of the pistol have no damage. The price includes UK delivery. NB As an antique percussion pistol no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as a part of a collection or display. Sn 14042
£1,200.00

1829-1857 English William Egan Bradford Yorkshire Steel Frame 17 Bore Belt Pistol With Octagonal Barrel & Captive Ramrod. Sn 14041 - 14041
The English Gunsmith William Egan is recorded as having premises at Hustler Gate, Bradford, Yorkshire between 1829 & 1857 (see page 214 of British Gunmakers Vol.2 by Brown). This is an excellent steel framed percussion belt pistol by Egan. It is 10 ½” overall length with a 5 ¾” octagonal brown wash steel barrel which has black powder proofs. The barrel’s smoothbore has just light staining consistent with age. It measures 16.45mm muzzle diameter which is approx. 17 bore. The top of the barrel is crisply signed ‘Egan Bradford’. The action, Dolphin hammer, trigger guard and pommel cap with hinged trap have fine foliate engraved decoration. It has a brass bead fore sight, ‘v’ notch plate rear sight and captive steel ram rod. The action works as it should with a strong spring action. The Walnut grip with fine chequering is excellent & undamaged. The back of the grip is inlaid with void German Silver escutcheon. The price includes UK delivery. NB As an antique percussion pistol no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as a part of a collection or display. Sn 14041
£895.00

ALL MATCHING NUMBERS, Original, American Civil War Era, 1851-1869 Cooper Firearms Manufacturing Co Frankford Philadelphia .36" Calibre, 5 Shot, Cap & Ball Double Action Percussion Revolver With Octagonal Barrel. Sn 13995 - 13995
The Cooper Firearms Manufacturing Co of Philadelphia, manufactured pistols From 1851 To 1869. When Colt's Patents for revolving firearms expired in 1857 Cooper Firearms Co began Manufacturing Colt Patent expired weapons. Many of their weapons were used during the American Civil War. This is an excellent, original 5” octagonal barrel version of their .36" Calibre, 5 shot percussion revolver with captive lever ram rod. The metal work has even patina throughout. Its cylinder and barrel are stamped with number '2665'. The pistol's brass grip frame is stamped with matching serial number. The top of the barrel is marked by the manufacturer ' Cooper Firearms Manufacturing Co, Frankford, Phila PA. PAT JAN 7, 1851-APRIL 25, 1854-SEPT 4, 1860-SEPT 1, 1862-SEPT 22, 1863'. It has an undamaged Walnut grip. The pistol's loading and firing actions work as they should in both single and double action. Price includes UK delivery. NB. As an antique percussion revolver no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 13995.
£1,275.00

RARE, Large,1865-1868 American Civil War Era, Connecticut Arms & Manufacturing Co, Hammond's 1864 Patent, .41 Rim Fire Calibre 'Swing Breech' Bulldog Derringer Pistol. Sn 13998 - 13998
The Connecticut Arms & Manufacturing Co. was one of many firms formed during the American Civil War. Founded in 1863 by brothers Henry B. and Lewis Hammond, the company was located at Naubuc, a town located about ten miles southeast of Hartford. This is an excellent .41 Rim Fire calibre single shot 'swing breech' loading Hammond's 1864 patent Bulldog pistol. Introduced in 1865, approximately 7,400 of these single shot pistols were manufactured before production ceased in 1868. Loading was accomplished by depression of a steel button on top of the breech when the pistol is at half cock and pivoting the breech block to the left. One of the largest Derringers, It has a 4" octagonal barrel which is stamped ' Connecticutt Arms & Manf'g Co Naubuc Conn'. The rim of the swing out chamber is marked 'Patented Oct 25 1864' in small lettering. The barrel’s bore has staining consistent with age & crisp rifling. The pistol’s original chequered brown 'gutta percha' grips are excellent and undamaged. The pistols loading and firing actions work perfectly. Price for this rare Civil War era pistol includes UK delivery. NB As an obsolete calibre antique pistol, no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 13998
£975.00

C1860's American Civil War Era Merwin & Bray Firearms Co New York 6 Shot Brass Framed Front Loading .42 Cup-Primer Cartridge Single Action Army Model Revolver With Octagonal Barrel. Sn 13913 - 13913
An excellent example of the unusual front loading Army Model .42 Cup-Primer Cartridge revolver by Merwin & Bray Firearms Co New York (Merwin & Bray made the .42 Army Model aimed at Military contract sales and a smaller .30 cartridge pocket version for the civilian market). Our Army Model example has a 4 ½” octagonal barrel with top rib which is marked “Merwin & Bray Firearms Co NY”. The circumference of the cylinder is faintly marked “PATENTED July 12 1859 July 21 1863”. It has an undamaged brass frame stamped “7592”. The front sight is a half round blade. It has a grooved frame rear sight. The grips are smooth varnished rosewood which have just the bumps and bruises to be expected with age. The steel barrel, removable cylinder, sheathed trigger and hammer retain their original blue finish. The rifled bore is clean. The action functions correctly. This revolver loads its special cartridges from the front, and extracts them with a captive rod with bolt action mounted on the frame’s right side. The cartridges used in this revolver had a priming compound in the cup shaped base of the cartridge. This revolver was manufactured C1860's by Merwin & Bray. It was designed as a front loading cartridge revolver in an effort to circumvent the Rollin White patent held by Smith & Wesson which allowed for chambers bored completely through the cylinder and loaded from the rear. Price for this unusual American front loading pistol includes UK delivery. NB As an antique obsolete calibre pistol no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 13913
£845.00

C1800 English, Twigg Of London Brass Frame 54 Bore Flintlock Pocket Pistol With Screw Off Barrel. Sn 13909 - 13909
John Fox Twigg was born at Grantham, Linconshire, in 1732 and is listed by Heer (1978) as being apprenticed to the Irish gunmaker, Edward Newton (active 1718-1764), though no dates for the apprenticeship are offered. By 1755, Blackmore (1986) lists Twigg working as a gunmaker from Angel Ct., Charing Cross until 1760 when he moved to 132 Strand, opposite Catherine St., and continued at this address until 1776. He moved again in 1776, this time to Piccadilly where he remained until 1790. During these 14 years he opened several warehouses; at little Somerset St., in 1771; 30 Cornhill, 1777 and Tower Hill in 1779. His only son, John, was apprenticed in 1786 to Henry Nock, and subsequently inherited his father's business. This is an excellent, brass framed flintlock pocket pistol by Twigg, London. It measures 6 ¼” overall with a 1 3/4" screw off steel barrel. The frame is marked ‘Twigg’ within roundel surrounded by banners & arms on the left side and the right ‘London’ within roundel, arms and banners. The underside of the frame has proof marks. It has a steel swan neck hammer, sliding safety catch feature and steel trigger guard. The pistol’s bag shaped wood grip is undamaged. The pistol cocks and dry fires perfectly. Price includes UK delivery. NB As an antique flintlock pistol no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 13909
£575.00

C1870 Silver Plated, Continental 7mm Pinfire 6 Shot Revolver With Engraved Decoration & Folding Trigger. Sn 13728 - 13728
This is a very good, 7mm calibre, 6 shot, pin fire pocket revolver. It has a 2 ¾” barrel (6 ¾” overall). It has undamaged, finely chequered walnut grips. The frame & grip strap are silver plated & decorated with an attractive foliate and geometric design. The folding trigger, cylinder and hammer are blued. The pistol retains some of its original silver plating. It has its original ejector rod and side gate. It is side gate loading, has a blade fore sight and notched hammer rear sight. It is fully functioning with all springs working and nice tight action. The frame has no visible manufacturer marks and the underside of the barrel has indistinct faint proof marks. The price includes UK delivery. NB As an antique, pin fire weapon no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as a part of a collection or display. Sn 13728
£575.00
Previous 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next Page 12 of 17